Dash charging is pretty amazing

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I had a rare day yesterday where I took the OP3 off the charger in the morning (and let it charge to 100% before taking it off the charger). Between 17 and 18 hours later of light to moderate use (mostly phone calls, texting, etc.) I still had 33% left. I put it on the charger for 20 minutes and pulled it off with 70% showing. So it gained 37% in 20 minutes and was cool to the touch throughout the Dash charge.

My normal cycle has me charging on Dash to 80-90% in the morning, then putting it in my car and charging while I use it for nav. So it normally gets multiple charges during the day, but some drives are short and it might never reach 100% during the day. So having a single charge event day and observing battery usage during the day was an anomaly for me.

Just out of curiosity (using GSAM), when checking the number of times waking device, Google App is far in the lead over any other app on my OP3. Since I unplugged it 35 minutes ago, Google App already has 557 events recorded. By contrast, Google Play services is down at 50 events. GA activity strikes me as excessive. Is this normal?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A few of the Google apps are used to update various things in the ROM, rather than issue a new ROM update every time there's some small fix. So almost any app could run one of them to get some service from them. (Navigation definitely runs Google apps. Charging, itself, may.)

About the only thing I'd worry about is that 33% battery charge - the rule of thumb with a lithium battery is to never let it go below 40%. Start looking for an outlet at 50%, so that you're charging it before it drops to 30%. That gives you the longest battery life. (33% isn't terrible, but if you plan on keeping the phone more than a year or two, I'd stop doing that.)

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Interesting info about battery life. I've never heard that about li-po batteries before. They are lithium polymer, right?

And nothing is more common than seeing iPhone screenshots showing 5% battery remaining!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If you really want to prolong the life of the cell, you should keep it as charged as possible... Ideally above 80%.

But that's an incredibly tedious way to use your phone... It's much better in my opinion to just use and enjoy using your phone... Unless you actively abuse it you should get at least 2 years of usable life out of the cell, and they're not too difficult to replace.

Last edited:

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I agree. While I'm a big fan of removable batteries (and SD cards), the value offered by the OP3 was too stellar to pass up. And besides my only choice giving me those options (and also my IR blaster which I miss) is the LG V20... which I was actually beginning to consider before the OP3 turned my head. ;)

I'm actually not worried about the battery life. If it dies an early death, I just hope OP makes them available. I don't think it will be terribly difficult to replace. And besides, I figure it will be time for a new phone anyway in a couple or 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36