Getting close to buying - some questions

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking for a while for a new phone and am close to pushing the purchase button on a 3T, but have a few questions first. I currently have an aging Nexus 4; I happily skipped several new Nexus phones and then when I heard about the then upcoming Pixel decided to hold out for that.... until I saw the price. Now the Nexus is having a variety of issues, like just suddenly stopping sometimes several times a day, and since I'm a woman working/parking in an iffy neighborhood, I need my phone to be dependable!

I'm not a big talk person, so am very happily using my T-Mobile $30 plan (100 minutes, and unlimited data). Please reassure me that the 3T will work on that plan and carrier. Otherwise, it's a deal breaker!

I had become spoiled by getting fast Google updates on the Nexus (and my previous Samsung Epic got really really slow updates). How up to date are updates with this phone? Not a deal breaker, although I do like bragging I have the newest updates.

The company is in China? Would repairs be a problem? Or returns if for some reason it's a dud? And can I buy a Square Trade policy on it?

I understand that the Dash charger is fast, but can I also use a regular slower charger? Or do I have to buy extra Dash chargers? I like to keep spares scattered around my car and work.

Lastly, I like being able to buy accessories for my phones, like pretty cases. I'm hoping there are some decent colorful cases for this. Also, this one may be silly, but I am used to having a wrist strap on my phones, so that if I'm on a bus or something I'm less likely to drop it. Does this phone have a hole for one? Or is there a case that has an opening? On the Nexus, I have a Seidio case with an exoskeleton, and slip the loop of the strap over one of the "legs". Since the phone is bigger than I'm used to and I don't have big hands, I'd probably rely even more on a strap.

Sorry for the length! And appreciate any help.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking for a while for a new phone and am close to pushing the purchase button on a 3T, but have a few questions first. I currently have an aging Nexus 4; I happily skipped several new Nexus phones and then when I heard about the then upcoming Pixel decided to hold out for that.... until I saw the price. Now the Nexus is having a variety of issues, like just suddenly stopping sometimes several times a day, and since I'm a woman working/parking in an iffy neighborhood, I need my phone to be dependable!

I'm not a big talk person, so am very happily using my T-Mobile $30 plan (100 minutes, and unlimited data). Please reassure me that the 3T will work on that plan and carrier. Otherwise, it's a deal breaker!

I had become spoiled by getting fast Google updates on the Nexus (and my previous Samsung Epic got really really slow updates). How up to date are updates with this phone? Not a deal breaker, although I do like bragging I have the newest updates.

The company is in China? Would repairs be a problem? Or returns if for some reason it's a dud? And can I buy a Square Trade policy on it?

I understand that the Dash charger is fast, but can I also use a regular slower charger? Or do I have to buy extra Dash chargers? I like to keep spares scattered around my car and work.

Lastly, I like being able to buy accessories for my phones, like pretty cases. I'm hoping there are some decent colorful cases for this. Also, this one may be silly, but I am used to having a wrist strap on my phones, so that if I'm on a bus or something I'm less likely to drop it. Does this phone have a hole for one? Or is there a case that has an opening? On the Nexus, I have a Seidio case with an exoskeleton, and slip the loop of the strap over one of the "legs". Since the phone is bigger than I'm used to and I don't have big hands, I'd probably rely even more on a strap.

Sorry for the length! And appreciate any help.
3T is awesome, buy it.

Updates aren't instant but there is a vibrant beta and they're staying on top of user feedback. It will work on T-Mobile. Check out Amazon for accessories, quite a lot there. Wrist straps are weird

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh and yes you can use slow chargers, dash charge is just another option (and a really good one) so grabbing an extra charger or two might be a good idea.

fedxup

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I really want to pull the trigger on this phone, but something is holding me back. I guess its the fact they are not a "name brand" company at this point. I have a G3 that died 2 weeks ago. I picked up a Moto X Pure at Best Buy just to hold me off until I decided what I really want. In the meantime, I have actually got the G3 back up and running(baked the motherboard in the oven amazing!), but I still think I want something new. My 14 days are up on the MXPE, so I need to decide today. I do like that phone, but I'm so intrigued by the OPT3. I was also looking at the Moto Z Play because of the battery life. I hate making these decisions!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Between the two, the OP3T is better at just about everything except battery life and dash charge helps out a lot there.

If it were me I'd go OP3T or keep using the g3 until after MWC to see what Samsung is doing this year.

jbbrown79

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I got the OP3 at the end of October. I was coming from a Samsung Galaxy S4. I was a little concerned because it wasn't a big name, but I couldn't be happier. This phone works great and it faster than any Samsung phone. I would definitely recommend the 3T!

fedxup

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Between the two, the OP3T is better at just about everything except battery life and dash charge helps out a lot there.

If it were me I'd go OP3T or keep using the g3 until after MWC to see what Samsung is doing this year.

Thanks. I was never a big Samsung fan. Would like something that runs close to stock android. Like the OP, I was waiting on the Pixel, then that price tag scared me away.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I got the OP3 at the end of October. I was coming from a Samsung Galaxy S4. I was a little concerned because it wasn't a big name, but I couldn't be happier. This phone works great and it faster than any Samsung phone. I would definitely recommend the 3T!

Same scenario for me, coming from a GS4/i337 to the OP3. Was skittish about buying from a no-name company, but I did NOT want to buy a carrier branded phone again. I had planned to go Nexus until the Pixel intervened. I decided to take a chance on the OP3 and couldn't be happier.

Of course this is the world of electronics so there's always the chance of a bad experience, and I suppose that's where the carrier safety net provides a comfort zone. But you pay for it, one way or another. IMO, OP should sell via BestBuy, etc. so that availability is increased and the buyer has a better support system. However, that might inflate the price quite a bit too, so what do you do?

I will not hesitate to buy OP again.

Regarding Dash charging, I have just the one that came with the phone. But I have several chargers scattered around my vehicles that offer 2.4A/12w per port which is sufficient to (fairly) quickly charge my OP3 while I use it for navigating. I use Bensen Leung approved USB C cables. Be careful to not just use any USB C cable. Obviously, the OP USB C cables are good. But there are generics out there that can damage your devices.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3robzo/google_spreadsheet_for_usbc_cables_with_benson/

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh, one more thing. As I remember from when I got the Nexus 4, the sims came in different sizes. Will my current micro sim fit the 3T? T-Mobile is no longer offering the $30 plan, or at least not on their website, so I want to make sure I can use the same sim. (I vaguely remember someone back then saying that if they got a new sim, they couldn't activate it under the old plan).

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Same scenario for me, coming from a GS4/i337 to the OP3. Was skittish about buying from a no-name company, but I did NOT want to buy a carrier branded phone again. I had planned to go Nexus until the Pixel intervened. I decided to take a chance on the OP3 and couldn't be happier.

Of course this is the world of electronics so there's always the chance of a bad experience, and I suppose that's where the carrier safety net provides a comfort zone. But you pay for it, one way or another. IMO, OP should sell via BestBuy, etc. so that availability is increased and the buyer has a better support system. However, that might inflate the price quite a bit too, so what do you do?

I will not hesitate to buy OP again.

Regarding Dash charging, I have just the one that came with the phone. But I have several chargers scattered around my vehicles that offer 2.4A/12w per port which is sufficient to (fairly) quickly charge my OP3 while I use it for navigating. I use Bensen Leung approved USB C cables. Be careful to not just use any USB C cable. Obviously, the OP USB C cables are good. But there are generics out there that can damage your devices.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3robzo/google_spreadsheet_for_usbc_cables_with_benson/

Sorry I know stupid question but I just ordered the 128GB today, and it comes with the Dash charger adapter and USB type C cable with the phone, or did I have to buy the bundle?

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what you mean about the bundle. You get the phone, OEM screen protector pre-installed, the dash charger and a USB A to USB C cable as the base kit. Hope that answers your question.

MrDJ007

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
to answer a couple of questions.

the 3T has dual sim slots and both are (corrected) Nano.
if you have a different sized sim then just take it to your carrier high street shop and they can change it over for you.

ive only had my 3T for 3 weeks and coming from a blackberry i was a little confused on the website about the dash charger as i wasnt sure if it came with one or not so i added that and a plug to the bundle.
so yes there is already a charger and cable in the box so i now have a spare for work which is not a bad thing.

ive noticed that im using wayyyy more data and wifi on this phone compared to my blackberry passport.
it used to be about 300mb data and 700mb wifi in a month.
luckily ive got a sim only contract with 2gb data as after 20 days ive used 585mb data and 1.2gb wifi but of course loading new apps will always use more at first.

is the phone any good, well hell yeh, its a great phone. its just taking me longer to get used to it as ive always had a real keyboard instead of on screen.

Last edited:

MrDJ007

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
oh dalm, sorry, i thought the smallest sim was a micro which i had. i must have had a micro all along DOH!

will edit my above post. thanks for the correction speedlever.

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I know most people consider wrist straps weird, or at least not something they care about. :), but now I'm used to it. And since I have fairly small hands and this would be a larger phone than I'm used to, I'd probably feel more secure using it in some situations.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante