No audible text alert from Textra

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
OP3/4.0.3. I've been using Textra for a while as I prefer the dark theme. I've recently noticed that I no longer get audible alerts when I receive a new text message. I'm not sure how long that's been going on, but it may have been like this for a while. (my Pebble normally alerts me so I've just assumed I didn't hear the alert tone).

I experimented yesterday and changed from Textra back to Google Messages (formerly Messenger) and my audible text alerts are working normally again.

I have not been able to find any setting that I think would cause Textra to be silent. Any thoughts where to look?

I don't really have any issue with Messages other than I prefer Textra/dark theme. But I'll forego the dark theme to get my audible alerts back, if that's my only choice.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I've done all that including wiping the system cache. No change.

BUT, I changed my texting app back to Google Messenger and now my audible text alerts are back. Go figure.

Instead of using the SMS ringtone, it's using the default notification ringtone.

Edit: I take it back! Rebooting did restore the ringtone for Textra. But it still uses the default notification ringtone instead of the ringtone I setup for SMS. That's no big deal, but I'd like to understand why it's not using the ringtone specified for SMS.

(tested using an iPhone with imessage).

Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Just a thought speedlever... Go to Settings > Alert slider > Do not disturb > Messages.. set to... From anyone. See if that makes a difference.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Did you set the notification within textra itself? It seems to override the choice in the main settings app. I haven't had an issue... Yet.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Did you set the notification within textra itself? It seems to override the choice in the main settings app. I haven't had an issue... Yet.

I believe you nailed it. The Textra notification setting was on default notification sound, which I presume makes it choose the default notification ringtone under Settings/Sounds and ignore the SMS ringtone.

I'll have to check it later today when I can borrow a phone.

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I can't understand the reason Textra went silent either but thank you very much speedlever, I tried everything as well and toggling between the default sms apps is the only thing that worked on my Google Pixel! 😃