thinking of buying a 3t

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I'm thinking of buying a 3t or whatever the next OnePlus device is later this year. But my question is how is OnePlus with security updates? For reference I have an AT&T branded Note 5. It's now March 12, and I just got the update for the Feb 1 security patch. To me being two months behind and not even being updated to current months security is unacceptable. Is OnePlus good a monthly patches? Or should I just go with Blackberry or Pixel.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Stock OnePlus firmwares have been on the FEB: security update for about a month and the Beta test firmware was on the March release on the 1st March. OnePlus, in my experience, are a lot quicker than Samsung on security updates particularly when it comes to the carrier branded Samsung models.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Stock OnePlus firmwares have been on the FEB: security update for about a month and the Beta test firmware was on the March release on the 1st March. OnePlus, in my experience, are a lot quicker than Samsung on security updates particularly when it comes to the carrier branded Samsung models.

My stock Oneplus 3 is still on the December 2016 security patch. And to my knowledge the 3 and 3T are at parity.

I'd class Oneplus as about average when it comes to security patches, they could do better.

Also you should expect the 3 and 3T to be all but abandoned when the new model is released.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
My bad! The stock firmware update, 4.0.3, is, in fact as fuzzylumpkin states, still on the December 2016 Google security update. The Beta 12 however, is definitely on March 2017 Google security update.

WildCatBBN3

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, I'll probably wait and see what OnePlus comes out with this year especially since my phone is still kicking right now anyways.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
i expect a security update sometime in March. I'm surprised it's not out already. At least it's not a year behind like my old flagship phone was.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
i expect a security update sometime in March. I'm surprised it's not out already. At least it's not a year behind like my old flagship phone was.

Yeah we should see it soon, as far as I'm aware the current beta is pretty stable, though I've not used it myself.

On the year out of date thing, I'm curious what will happen after the 4 (5?) is released... The 2 has not been very well supported since the 3 launched...

I was originally fine with upgrading every year at Oneplus prices, but since our currency has been destroyed and is likely to get even weaker, that may not be a viable option.

msgray2u

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi Mr or Ms ironass :)

What does your first statement mean "stock firmware update 4.0.3" I understand the Dec google security. I'm not a techie. Also I just switched from Verizon to Cricket 1 wk ago, so I'll be on AT&T network. However, I got a cheap phone 'cause my Galaxy S4 would not accept the Cricket sim card. Was planning to buy the Oneplus3T next week, as I wanted to be on the network at least 2 weeks before purchase. I can't stay on this cheap 16gb phone until the 4/5 come out.
thanks

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, while I'm not ironass, I can tell you that there are 2 versions of the OxygenOS software that runs on the Oneplus 3 (it isn't really firmware, but that's semantic).

The first, what ironass was referencing as stock, is the normal OxygenOS version you will get when you buy a phone, the current version is 4.0.3.

The second, which ironass uses and I've used myself in the past, is the open beta. It's basically an experimental build of the software which may or may not be stable, and may or may not contain more bugs than it fixes. These have to be downloaded and installed manually, and if you don't consider yourself a techie or don't enjoy messing with/breaking/fixing your phone, you should probably just ignore the fact that they even exist.

After testing, if the beta is stable, it becomes a new version of stock OxygenOS and is pushed out to the normal users.

jcdub

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
My stock Oneplus 3 is still on the December 2016 security patch. And to my knowledge the 3 and 3T are at parity.

I'd class Oneplus as about average when it comes to security patches, they could do better.

Also you should expect the 3 and 3T to be all but abandoned when the new model is released.

I'm also still on the December security update on my stock 3t. I'm not impressed with the fact OnePlus are so slow with the security updated considering Google feel that it should be a monthly update. It's a decent phone. Screen wise it's average. The camera is nothing to write home about either. Positive side, the phone is a flyer and the battery life is great, and rapid charging is the fastest I've used but... I won't be holding on to it much longer. I'll be going with a LG G6 or possible the new Nokia flagship device when either arrive due to the camera and lack of security updates with OnePlus

Last edited:

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Lol. Tell that to the poor souls who bought the unlocked S7/S7E.

I've found the camera to do a great job in both still and video. Comparable to my iPad Pro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair