How long does OnePlus generally support their devices?

SolarWinds

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
By this, I mean adding new features, rather than just bug fixes. I ask because, as others have posted about, I'm interested in the 3T, despite the awkward timing.

I don't at all expect the 3T to receive Android O, but seeing as OnePlus is a different player in the Android world (one which I've not personally experienced yet), how likely is it that they'll try to port some features from O?

Obviously their focus will be put into their new device with O installed or available, presuming that's the case, but if there's hope of the 3T continuing support into the next year, then it's still at the top of my list for bang for my buck. Because worst case scenario, I see the 3T is selling uses quite nicely, so I wouldn't be worried about getting a reasonable amount of money back if I were to later change my mind on the choice.

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Another thing to consider is that OnePlus is a favorite device in the custom ROM community (LineageOS, for example) - so you can pretty much be assured of OS support for a long time. I recently moved to a 3T from a Nexus 5X, and the "after market OS" support was a strong factor in my decision. A friend of mine has a OnePlus One - it is still his daily driver, and he is running Nougat 7.1.1 from LineageOS - when OnePlus obviously stopped software support for the One a very long time ago.

BTW - I absolutely love my 3T!

ben55124

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Op2 owners are still waiting for nougat so doesn't bode well for op3t after its successor. I suspect oneplus has a relatively small development team that doesn't leave room for a B team to work on old devices.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I believe the 3/3T was a breakout device for OP. I hope OP supports it much better and far longer than it has its previous devices. So far, so good as since late October 2016 when I got my OP3 I've gone from 6.0.1 to 7.1.1. I think few other phones have made that progression as quickly except the Nexus/Pixel, and maybe ZTE (does the Axon 7 have 7.1.1 yet?)

I fully expect Android O to make it to the 3/3T. Hard to say after that.

anon(6148101)

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
About to pull trigger on used Oneplus3t to replace note 5. Do you think the chipset on the device will encourage development for another couple years? Hard to tell which devices are going to be supported by devs for long time like the HD2.... They got nougat on that yet? Lol