I found weird update.apk on my phone? what's it?

smerfy

Aug 19, 2021
Visit site
I found weird update.apk on my phone? what's it?
- I never download anything like that
- My phone have kaspersky antivirus (I even paid for it)
- I can provide the file if someone willing to check but didn't know how to attach it on this forum

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Where do you see that? Is it in the /Download directory?

Don't share it on the forum -- we Mods would unapprove it anyway, for safety's sake.

I would delete it using a file manager, and then watch to see if it returns. Don't mess with it, because you don't want to accidentally open it (in case it truly is malware). I don't know if this is legitimate or not, but something like this could potentially have been downloaded if you inadvertently tapped on a link in a scam browser popup. But remember that simply downloading a file isn't dangerous -- the main risk would be opening it.

Let me see if @Javier P or @mustang7757 have seen this file on their OnePlus devices.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is that the name of the APK?
Do you root or install apps through APK? I ask because One Plus owners are known to do so .

smerfy

Aug 19, 2021
Visit site
Yep, the file name is "update.apk" The file can't be open I even convert it to rar and upload on Gdrive scan with antivirus but it doesn't seem to be one.
about my phone It's not rooted. I sometimes install app through APK.

Ps. but to be precise I root it, brick it, and then unroot it because I need to use it to do financial stuff but I always wipe data every time when I do those process.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yep, the file name is "update.apk" The file can't be open I even convert it to rar and upload on Gdrive scan with antivirus but it doesn't seem to be one.
about my phone It's not rooted. I sometimes install app through APK.

Ps. but to be precise I root it, brick it, and then unroot it because I need to use it to do financial stuff but I always wipe data every time when I do those process.
If you long press it to get details can you? Like when it was downloaded or maybe from where?

smerfy

Aug 19, 2021
Visit site
If you long press it to get details can you? Like when it was downloaded or maybe from where?

Yep, That's the strangest part It said It's created 2 days before the day I check it but nowhere it's downloaded given. My Oneplus 5 also act strange back then too like there is no download history of the apk and It's always failed to download files on the Google search app.
(it always showed as “untitled Download Unsuccessful” notification popped up times by time like this: https://android.stackexchange.com/q...-untitled-download-unsuccessful-notifications)
so I suspect that it came from that notification, but after the experiment seems like there is something wrong with my Google Search API? (maybe?) and It's not source of the file.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree with mustang7757. Go to settings - Storage - Files - select the folder where you see that file - long press the file icon - three dots top right Get Info. Post a screenshot of that screen.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Another thing to do is go settings>apps>special app access tap> install unknown apps on that list which is ones are allowed ? If any are toggle them to not allowed .

smerfy

Aug 19, 2021
Visit site
well, I already factory reset so beside the file i didn't have anything else
but here is inside of it
resources > www > javadecompilers > app > public data > 19.08.21> f7b1dd9e097e4bcd63155e7441f494c7 >update.apk
the file is 39.2 MB

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech