07-29-2017 12:37 PM
207 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Can you please point me to where it is stated that the op5 has ip67? Every reviewer has bashed the op5 for not having any sort of water resistance.
    https://www.androidpit.com/oneplus-5-review

'OnePlus puts some OnePlus 5 devices from the production line in water, and they need to withstand it for 20 seconds. Although it doesn’t have IP certification, the OnePlus 5 should still be well-protected against water ingress accordingly. An independently made YouTube video shows how the OnePlus 5 can survive in water for a minute without being damaged.

Romain Heuillard from the French website Frandroid is even sure of it: “The OnePlus 5 is waterproof.” He claims to have exclusively learned that the OnePlus 5 would comply with IP67 certification, but OnePlus “refuses to take responsibility if the device were exposed to harmful quantities of water.”'

So sounds like OP is going out of their way to not acknowledge the water resistance because they're not interested in playing the claims game. Which is the exact same choice Apple made for a few years before deciding to advertise their certifications.
    07-04-2017 02:30 PM
    So it doesn't have an ip certification but a YouTuber puts it in water for 30 seconds to a minute and that makes it waterproof? Got it. No thanks I'll take an IP rating and being able to drop it in the water for 30 minutes
    07-04-2017 02:53 PM
    https://www.androidpit.com/oneplus-5-review

'OnePlus puts some OnePlus 5 devices from the production line in water, and they need to withstand it for 20 seconds. Although it doesn’t have IP certification, the OnePlus 5 should still be well-protected against water ingress accordingly. An independently made YouTube video shows how the OnePlus 5 can survive in water for a minute without being damaged.

Romain Heuillard from the French website Frandroid is even sure of it: “The OnePlus 5 is waterproof.” He claims to have exclusively learned that the OnePlus 5 would comply with IP67 certification, but OnePlus “refuses to take responsibility if the device were exposed to harmful quantities of water.”'

So sounds like OP is going out of their way to not acknowledge the water resistance because they're not interested in playing the claims game. Which is the exact same choice Apple made for a few years before deciding to advertise their certifications.
    Makes sense actually... Remember all the flak Samsung got after those consumer reports failures?
    07-04-2017 02:54 PM
    The U11 is actually rated IP67, not 68.

Just need to get that out there.
    07-04-2017 08:04 PM
    The U11 is actually rated IP67, not 68.

Just need to get that out there.
    Really? So they're the same? I feel like I said they're same as makes all odds
    07-04-2017 10:43 PM
    btw the solar red version is in same on Amazon for 590
    Aquila likes this.
    07-04-2017 10:47 PM
    Really? So they're the same? I feel like I said they're same as makes all odds
    Yep. IP67.

Difference is that one is rated while the other has the equivalence but is not rated.
    07-04-2017 10:55 PM
    DING! thanks for the amazon heads up on the solar red! just ordered one for only 590 and will be sending back the silver and save money. Also even at ip67 for the u11, you cant say the op5 is equivalent without the rating. That's all based on speculative testing with no actual facts to prove it. Im sure if Oneplus knew it was ip67 then it would make it known so that it could be one more thing they could sell the phone based on. I had the oneplus and it did not have seals around the sim slot which is one requirement for ip67
    07-05-2017 08:12 AM
    All an IP rating is in reality is a claim by the manufacturer, the only difference is that if they state one, your phone should (SHOULD!) be covered by warranty.

Of course, that's if you can prove that the damage wasn't sustained beyond the limits of the rating... So, for IP 67 you would need to show that your phone spent less than 30 minutes in fresh water that was not moving at a depth of no greater than one meter, good luck.
    07-05-2017 09:03 AM
    Im sure if Oneplus knew it was ip67 then it would make it known so that it could be one more thing they could sell the phone based on.
    They're indicating that they do not advertise it because they don't want to deal with stupid people getting the phone wet and then filing claims. Apple did the exact same thing for years, and Moto did something similar with their products for a few years. The idea is protect the consumer, but don't encourage them to abuse the device.
    07-05-2017 09:22 AM
    And quite honestly, regardless of whether it is rated or not, please don't get your phone into wet situations on purpose.

Water-ingress protection, rated or not, is designed for protection during accidents, like when you accidentally tip a glass of water over your phone.

Yes, the ads show people using their phones in bathtubs or putting them in swimming pools, but while the phone might survive those, it's not worth the potential risk if the ingress protection fails.
    07-05-2017 09:27 AM
    And quite honestly, regardless of whether it is rated or not, please don't get your phone into wet situations on purpose.

Water-ingress protection, rated or not, is designed for protection during accidents, like when you accidentally tip a glass of water over your phone.

Yes, the ads show people using their phones in bathtubs or putting them in swimming pools, but while the phone might survive those, it's not worth the potential risk if the ingress protection fails.
    If an OEM markets the phone as waterproof with conditions stated, then consumers can and should try out or use it the way it is advertised. If not, then its false advertising and consumers can sue the OEM for damages.

So, while its all good to advise people dont get your device into water even its advertised, the reality says otherwise. If it is advertised, I am going to try it and if it fails, its the manufacturer's responsibilty.
    07-05-2017 02:35 PM
    If an OEM markets the phone as waterproof with conditions stated, then consumers can and should try out or use it the way it is advertised. If not, then its false advertising and consumers can sue the OEM for damages.

So, while its all good to advise people dont get your device into water even its advertised, the reality says otherwise. If it is advertised, I am going to try it and if it fails, its the manufacturer's responsibilty.
    "Drink our new DIET fizzy drinks and your arse will get smaller!*"

*May help weight loss only as part of a calorie controlled diet

It's important to read the small print. If you think there isn't any, look harder.
    07-05-2017 03:38 PM

It's important to read the small print. If you think there isn't any, look harder.
    Yep, just how you have in the webistes:

Samsung Galaxy S8:

*Carrying an IP68 dust and water resistance rating. Based on test conditions of submersion in up to 1.5 meters of fresh water for up to 30 minutes.

HTC U11

HTC U11 has an IP67 rating and is dust, splash and water resistant up to 1 meter of freshwater for up to 30 minutes and tested under controlled laboratory conditions. Normal wear and tear may decrease splash and water resistance over time. Do not attempt to charge or otherwise use the USB Type-C port on a wet HTC U11. For drying instruction and tips on maintaining water resistance, consult the user guide, support site, or the Help app on the device. Liquid damage may not be covered under warranty.
    fuzzylumpkin likes this.
    07-05-2017 04:03 PM

No phones are waterproof though, there's the problem.
    07-06-2017 01:13 AM

There always is.

The issue is that people tend to think that water-resistant = waterproof.

In reality, they're different.
    Morty2264, newcollector and Aquila like this.
    07-06-2017 01:32 AM
    HTC 11 is a comeback device for the HTC. They showed that they are still in the competition. But it's hard to compare both. Looking forward for someone who compares this
    07-07-2017 05:07 AM
    HTC 11 is a comeback device for the HTC. They showed that they are still in the competition. But it's hard to compare both. Looking forward for someone who compares this
    Ive had both and currently have the HTC 11 and can easily tell you.

HTC U11- Better camera, sd card, water resistant, QHD screen,speakers, battery run time (not capacity)

Oneplus 5- More RAM, faster charging

Equal- Design(subjective)

So as you can see, there really isn't anything that the Oneplus 5 has that makes it close to as good as the HTC u11. We are talking about $120 more for the u11 but look at everything extra you get in comparison. In my opinion its a no brainer to go for the u11 unless for whatever reason you hate the design.
    07-07-2017 08:01 AM
    Ive had both and currently have the HTC 11 and can easily tell you.

HTC U11- Better camera, sd card, water resistant, QHD screen,speakers, battery run time (not capacity)

Oneplus 5- More RAM, faster charging

Equal- Design(subjective)

So as you can see, there really isn't anything that the Oneplus 5 has that makes it close to as good as the HTC u11. We are talking about $120 more for the u11 but look at everything extra you get in comparison. In my opinion its a no brainer to go for the u11 unless for whatever reason you hate the design.
    Pretty sure the OnePlus is getting better marks for battery life than the U11, especially given the QHD screen since that's a bigger battery drain. And don't forget the 3.5mm jack for the OP5 as well.
    07-07-2017 08:46 AM
    Pretty sure the OnePlus is getting better marks for battery life than the U11, especially given the QHD screen since that's a bigger battery drain. And don't forget the 3.5mm jack for the OP5 as well.
    This is why I preempted my comment with " Ive owned both devices". The oneplus 5 does not get better battery life in every day use. I used both phones exactly the same and have never had a day where the u11 did not get me at least 6 hours of SOT with at least 15-20% still left. The OP5 was getting me through the day with about 5-5:30 hours SOT but with only about 10% left. Don't look at the battery size and screen and make an assumption. HTC optimized the hell out this software and device to get maximum battery and they succeeded. Look at everyones testimony for the u11 battery and everyone would agree with my statement. For whatever reason even with the 1080p screen and slightly bigger battery the OP5 isn't touching the u11 when it comes to longevity.
    07-07-2017 08:56 AM
    Heres an example below of my usage so far today. Notice how ive only used 17% battery and im almost at 2 hours SOT. Ive also been on LTE not wifi and have been watching ESPN on it. Im on pace to get almost 8 hours SOT according to the avgs at the bottom. The OP5 CANT TOUCH THIS.

HTC U11 or OnePlus 5?-u11-battery.jpg
    07-07-2017 09:02 AM
    Quite honestly, I wished people would really stop assuming that QHD panels are a big power draw.

Sure, they were back in the day when they were new, but the newer panels are much more efficient than before. The GPU power draw has also decreased over the years.

Really, what's going to be the bigger factor in power draw is the kernel governor. Different devices have a subtly different manner in how they govern the processor's processing muscle and power draw.
    07-07-2017 09:32 AM
    Yep, your opinion is 100% undisputable by anyone...
    Oh wait..
    07-07-2017 09:32 AM
    Let's just say this.

You'll get a day's worth of power out of both.

Is that alright?
    07-07-2017 09:35 AM
    Yep, your opinion is 100% undisputable by anyone...
    Oh wait..
    There's clearly something wrong with that device or the test - it's very hard to find a battery that drains 4 times as fast as its peers. Also, I may have missed it, but did they set each one to the same brightness or the same percent brightness?
    krazyatom likes this.
    07-07-2017 09:48 AM
207 ... 45678 ...