HTC U11 or OnePlus 5?

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
The 128 is still expandable as well, just not through a slot that's physically inside the phone. Almost everyone phone running 6.0 or higher has expandable storage; just some OEM's aren't cheaping out on internal storage and tricking customers into accepting a slot instead of higher quality storage in the device. Most consumers don't know that almost all phones support expandable storage and so are easily duped into taking less + that functionality over more with that functionality. And even if you are willing to knowingly accept that compromise in order to get the slot in the phone for some reason, that still doesn't address the slower, less stable and less secure part. That's like saying you'd rather have 5 mc donalds cheeseburgers for $15 instead of 1 new york strip for $12.99. Yes, it's an option - but it's a little perverse.

None of this made any sense to me. Your stick with the 64 or 128 on the op5. Unless you plan on taking apart the phone and doing surgery on it. And yes I use sd card for media storage only since I take alot of 4k video. 32gb is more than enough to store my core apps but having the flexibility to add even more storage is more important than having a higher base storage out of the box

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
None of this made any sense to me. Your stick with the 64 or 128 on the op5. Unless you plan on taking apart the phone and doing surgery on it. And yes I use sd card for media storage only since I take alot of 4k video. 32gb is more than enough to store my core apps but having the flexibility to add even more storage is more important than having a higher base storage out of the box

My fault, I thought I read something about you being a tech expert and so I wrongly assumed that you already knew that almost all devices with that launched with Marshmallow or higher, and most devices that were updated to Marshmallow, support removable storage. Some do it with an internal slot, while others do it with OTG (support much older than Marshmallow obviously, but became basically universal with 6.0). This is accomplished by using a reader with a USB connection that can connect to the phone when externally stored media is needed.

Anyways, I think we're all getting bored with the picking apart each post and whatnot, or at least I am. I'm going to say that I do agree with you that it's very hard to objectively state that the OP5 is a good value especially when the real flagships are frequently on sale for similar pricing. That said, even the flagships have compromises that, depending on one's personal priorities, could make them appear to be a lesser value than the OP5. IMO everyone should be buying whichever phone they want most and it really doesn't matter if other people also want it. The debate is fun, but the debate really isn't meant to say "you need to like what I like!" but more of a, "this is why I like what I like" sort of conversation.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'd rather have 32 with the ability to expand to what ever I want vs 128 and that's all I get. Also, to get 128 your looking at the higher end model which is already more expensive than a G6.
See this is where you let down yourself. 32gb is not a good thing and many normal users won't even use SD card unless LG or the OEM gives them with the purchase, like Samsung does many times. 64GB is the way to go now and clearly with just 32GB onboard and a SD821, G6 is not the best in class.

Now, onboard memory is where Android puts apps. So, if you have lots of apps, SD card will never matter to you as no apps use SD card 100%. They still put majority of the stuff in onboard memory.

So yeah, OP5 offering 64 and 128 GB is a good thing.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
H
Give me as much storage as physically possible with a hybrid slot.

I actually hate those hybrid slots, and do NOT want one in my phone.

If you can get a micro SD slot in there great! I don't need it, but I'll take it! But having a micro SD slot I can't use because of my second SIM would infuriate me, whether I needed it or not!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My fault, I thought I read something about you being a tech expert and so I wrongly assumed that you already knew that almost all devices with that launched with Marshmallow or higher, and most devices that were updated to Marshmallow, support removable storage. Some do it with an internal slot, while others do it with OTG (support much older than Marshmallow obviously, but became basically universal with 6.0). This is accomplished by using a reader with a USB connection that can connect to the phone when externally stored media is needed.

Anyways, I think we're all getting bored with the picking apart each post and whatnot, or at least I am. I'm going to say that I do agree with you that it's very hard to objectively state that the OP5 is a good value especially when the real flagships are frequently on sale for similar pricing. That said, even the flagships have compromises that, depending on one's personal priorities, could make them appear to be a lesser value than the OP5. IMO everyone should be buying whichever phone they want most and it really doesn't matter if other people also want it. The debate is fun, but the debate really isn't meant to say "you need to like what I like!" but more of a, "this is why I like what I like" sort of conversation.

I use a Kingston microduo to backup and transfer. USB-A on one end and USB-C on the other. It is SO USEFUL!

Everyone go buy one lol.

LeKeiser

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Or sd card, or qhd screen, or original design....
I've had quite a few sd cards failing on me after a few months... and they were known brands...
QHD is a joke... We're talking about a phone here. I have an Axon 7, QHD display, and seriously, you have to really strain your eyes to see a difference.
Design again? Come on!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I actually hate those hybrid slots, and do NOT want one in my phone.

If you can get a micro SD slot in there great! I don't need it, but I'll take it! But having a micro SD slot I can't use because of my second SIM would infuriate me, whether I needed it or not!
Even better, a second separate SIM tray! xD

Or one for an SD card. Either is fine.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Because this thread is slowly turning into a debate, I thought I'd come with my own personal thoughts.

Personally, I don't like the OnePlus 5. Not because it's a bad phone but because it just doesn't work out for me. The design is a bit too familiar to another product for me, and the camera, while certainly more than capable for most users, isn't quite what I'm after and isn't really much of an improvement over the 3T in my opinion. I also have some skepticism over future support. If I had to choose, I'd probably pony up the extra for the U11.

However, that is my opinion based on what I've seen. In no way should this make you have buyer's remorse or hesitation over buying what you want. It may not be for me, but that doesn't mean it's not for you. While we at Android Central encourage users to share their own opinions and experiences on topics and products, we also firmly believe that you should always buy what you want based on your usage pattern. We can offer recommendations but ultimately, it's up to you when it comes to the final decision.

No one should be blasted for their choice of phone, and no one should be attacked for having an opinion, nor should counter-arguments be attacked.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Even better, a second separate SIM tray! xD

Or one for an SD card. Either is fine.

I think there's space for a three slot tray... Or as you say, a second tray with TWO more slots for 2 SD cards!

Remember when Moto incorporated the tray into the power button (or was it the volume rocker)? Wonder why it didn't catch on... That was good design.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think there's space for a three slot tray... Or as you say, a second tray with TWO more slots for 2 SD cards!

Remember when Moto incorporated the tray into the power button (or was it the volume rocker)? Wonder why it didn't catch on... That was good design.
My dad's Galaxy A5 has a completely separate secondary SIM slot.

So we can have 2 SIMs and an SD card.

J R Mtz

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the problem was with dannyar11 preferring an 11, the problem was with him/her pretty much saying everyone else is an ***** for preferring a OP5. As has been stated many times in the thread, every individual has varying needs and preferences for their device. Its great that in the android ecosystem we have such a great choice of vendors and features. That's pretty much what it boils down to.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I don't think the problem was with dannyar11 preferring an 11, the problem was with him/her pretty much saying everyone else is an ***** for preferring a OP5. As has been stated many times in the thread, every individual has varying needs and preferences for their device. Its great that in the android ecosystem we have such a great choice of vendors and features. That's pretty much what it boils down to.

My argument remains that no one has yet to point out to me whats "needs" does the op5 fill that a phone like the u11 doesn't at around similar price points. Aside from design which everyone here keeps telling me is preference, exactly what does the op5 do "better". And don't tell me it has a few OS tweaks that let you navigate differently or add visual tweaks.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
My argument remains that no one has yet to point out to me whats "needs" does the op5 fill that a phone like the u11 doesn't at around similar price points. Aside from design which everyone here keeps telling me is preference, exactly what does the op5 do "better". And don't tell me it has a few OS tweaks that let you navigate differently or add visual tweaks.

Why? So you can be dismissive of them?

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Why? So you can be dismissive of them?

No because I literally want to know. Why is it so hard for people to just be truthful. Admit that you like the phone for reasons not being the actual performance of the device. You like the feel in the hand, you like OnePlus as a company. But it literally does nothing better than a u11 so I wanna hear these reasons.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
No because I literally want to know. Why is it so hard for people to just be truthful. Admit that you like the phone for reasons not being the actual performance of the device. You like the feel in the hand, you like OnePlus as a company. But it literally does nothing better than a u11 so I wanna hear these reasons.

The Oneplus 5 is literally the fastest device on the market.

I do quite like the feel in the hand.

I don't particularly like Oneplus as a company.

And no, you don't want to hear the reasons, you've literally been ignoring them for like! 4 pages lololol.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Category 1: OP5 > U11: Metal body, more consistent software updates, more storage, more RAM, headphone jack, 10% larger battery, dual sim, smaller, lighter, dash charge, BlueTooth 5.0

Category 2: U11 > OP5: Better camera, higher resolution display, forks for 160 million more people, not dash charge, USB 3.1 instead of 2.0, WiFi calling, audio, better display

Category 3: U11 = OP5: Water resistant, both bad at security and software

So pick your 5 most important features. Are they in category 1, 2 or 3?

For me, I have 2 in 3, 3 in 2 and 1 in 1. So that tells me I would lean more HTC U11 than OP5, and the U11 has 3 vs the OP5 having 2 of my 6-10 most important features. (Security, software, display, camera and metal body were my 5) (6-10 for me are storage, USB 3, BT 5, works on more carriers and not dash charge)

I think anyone could do this; you can add MicroSD to the category 2 if you want, although I would add not having microSD to category 1 personally. Cheeseburgers vs a new york strip. NYS every day.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Category 1: OP5 > U11: Metal body, more consistent software updates, more storage, more RAM, headphone jack, 10% larger battery, dual sim, smaller, lighter, dash charge, BlueTooth 5.0

Category 2: U11 > OP5: Better camera, higher resolution display, forks for 160 million more people, not dash charge, USB 3.1 instead of 2.0, WiFi calling, audio, better display

Category 3: U11 = OP5: Water resistant, both bad at security and software

So pick your 5 most important features. Are they in category 1, 2 or 3?

For me, I have 2 in 3, 3 in 2 and 1 in 1. So that tells me I would lean more HTC U11 than OP5, and the U11 has 3 vs the OP5 having 2 of my 6-10 most important features. (Security, software, display, camera and metal body were my 5) (6-10 for me are storage, USB 3, BT 5, works on more carriers and not dash charge)

I think anyone could do this; you can add MicroSD to the category 2 if you want, although I would add not having microSD to category 1 personally. Cheeseburgers vs a new york strip. NYS every day.

I'd dispute the idea that the U11 works for more people... More AMERICANS maybe, but the fact that the Oneplus 5 has greater band support means it likely works for for far more people, as well as being a much better option for international travelers. I'd switch those categories.

And I believe the U11 is rated for water resistance, so that would be a point in its favour.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Correct the u11 is ip68 the op5 is not. Also you did not mention expandable storage. But it's nice someone finally put together some reasoning. My argument would be that the advantages the op5 has are all cosmetic with the exception of ram which in tests has not proven to make s difference over 4gb. The u11 has benchmarked faster in many tests. And even though it has a larger battery the u11 has benchmarked as having a longer lasting battery.

J R Mtz

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

You do realize some of s have actually been constantly listing reasons. You are literally ignoring them or saying that somehow our reasons are not valid. Here goes one last time:

- 11 got rid of of the 3.5MM jack which matters to me.
- I do not want a glass phone.
- Camera is not a factor.
- Did not want to deal with a polarized screen again.
- 10 apparently had issues with the T-Mobile network which is why it was pulled so quickly. Did not want to deal with that again.
- No SD slot, but I was using a 64GB on my 10. Got the 128GB OP5. More than enough.
These are the reasons I did not get an 11

I considered the G6. Did not choose it because:
- It has the old snapdragon. I did want the newer one.
- Their Android skin, while not as bloated as Samsung's isn't as good as HTC or OP5.
- Camera is not a factor.

For either phone, I can't tell the difference between QHD and 1080P, so that is also not an issue.

I considered the newewst Sony XZ as well and liked it a lot. But that price for no fingerprint reader in the US isn't good. May be I'll consider them in the future once that feature is avaialble again.

As I've mentioned before, I have no stake in OP as a company. I'm coming from 3 models of HTC phones. the M7 is probably still my favorite phone chasis. If HTC had re-relased the M7 with updated internals, I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat.

Those are my reasons. Now I sit here and wait til you tell my while my personal reasons and needs are wrong and I should get an 11....

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd dispute the idea that the U11 works for more people... More AMERICANS maybe, but the fact that the Oneplus 5 has greater band support means it likely works for for far more people, as well as being a much better option for international travelers. I'd switch those categories.

And I believe the U11 is rated for water resistance, so that would be a point in its favour.

They both have water resistance ratings, or at least both are water resistant even if not both advertising it. The U11 does work for 160 million more people in the US than the OP5, but I honestly don't know how many people only get service on the GSM bands that the OP5 supports which the U11 does not for whatever reason.