OnePlus 5 Initial impressions- I'm on the fence

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Re: Initial impressions- I'm on the fence

So the OP5 is a true flaghip because it threw an unnecessary 8gb into a phone?? That's laughable. The u11 is arguably just as smooth and only needs 4gb. Except the u11 has a way better camera, QHD screen, sd card support, and water proofing. Oh not to mention it looks original and not like an iphone 7 clone. Price you say? Well the u11 was $599 at launch which is only $120 more than the cheap OP5 and only $60 more than the 8gb model. No one is returning it due to the specs they knew about before hand as your "lame" response claims. They are doing so because they are disappointed with the performance of the overyhyped camera, the feel in the hand, the fact that it has needed 2 updates in 3 days to fix issues that should not have been in a final build, and for the simple fact that you get more for your money from a u11.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

So the OP5 is a true flaghip because it threw an unnecessary 8gb into a phone?? That's laughable. The u11 is arguably just as smooth and only needs 4gb. Except the u11 has a way better camera, QHD screen, sd card support, and water proofing. Oh not to mention it looks original and not like an iphone 7 clone. Price you say? Well the u11 was $599 at launch which is only $120 more than the cheap OP5 and only $60 more than the 8gb model. No one is returning it due to the specs they knew about before hand as your "lame" response claims. They are doing so because they are disappointed with the performance of the overyhyped camera, the feel in the hand, the fact that it has needed 2 updates in 3 days to fix issues that should not have been in a final build, and for the simple fact that you get more for your money from a u11.

While you could say you don't need 8GB RAM, it is using UFS 2.1 as opposed to UFS 2.0 for the 12GB storage. The 6GB version comes equipped with UFS 2.0, so you should see significant speed increases especially if you are transferring files or loading files from the storage. The 8GB RAM could be used to reserve more memory for the launcher itself while also giving preference to increasing gaming performance. So may possibilities that OxygenOS can do here. And telling because you feel its bad, so its bad for anyone buying it is not the right argument.

Calling it an iPhone clone? I have both and OnePlus 5 has distinct curves and design that it differentiates itself from the iPhone 7 Plus. The fact that people fixate that it looks like an iPhone is because the media drove that with flat back but forgot to actually show how the device fully looks and behaves, a very important thing that should drive this argument which was ignored.

2 updates in 3 days? You clearly have not owned U11 since day 1. U11 already has delivered 2 updates for the US and 3 for the Europe region. And this is a good thing. You are talking as if this is a bad thing - having updates to fix issues. The fact that OnePlus (HTC) are able to push updates so soon is a welcoming thing in the android world when Samsung/LG all take months to push updates!

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

dude, ya gotta sleep on it. Give it a week of daily use before you return it. The Wi-Fi issue could be down to other things.
I don't hate OP5. OP5 was good overall but other manufacturer offering were better so I decided return it. Now that OP5 is basically flagship price range, as a consumer we have so many other choices. I decided to go for U11 for better camera, speakers, water resistant.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

While you could say you don't need 8GB RAM, it is using UFS 2.1 as opposed to UFS 2.0 for the 12GB storage. The 6GB version comes equipped with UFS 2.0, so you should see significant speed increases especially if you are transferring files or loading files from the storage. The 8GB RAM could be used to reserve more memory for the launcher itself while also giving preference to increasing gaming performance. So may possibilities that OxygenOS can do here. And telling because you feel its bad, so its bad for anyone buying it is not the right argument.

Calling it an iPhone clone? I have both and OnePlus 5 has distinct curves and design that it differentiates itself from the iPhone 7 Plus. The fact that people fixate that it looks like an iPhone is because the media drove that with flat back but forgot to actually show how the device fully looks and behaves, a very important thing that should drive this argument which was ignored.

2 updates in 3 days? You clearly have not owned U11 since day 1. U11 already has delivered 2 updates for the US and 3 for the Europe region. And this is a good thing. You are talking as if this is a bad thing - having updates to fix issues. The fact that OnePlus (HTC) are able to push updates so soon is a welcoming thing in the android world when Samsung/LG all take months to push updates!
That's because they are non carrier branded devices they are able to push updates. Leave to the useless carriers they will never bother pushing updates so soon. Personally, whenever possible always will choose the non carrier branded phones over the crippled carrier ones. I also agree it's great to see companies like HTC, OnePlus pushing multiple updates soon to make sure any launch issues/bugs are addressed quickly. Crazy people put a negative spin on more updates 😂😂

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

That's because they are non carrier branded devices they are able to push updates. Leave to the useless carriers they will never bother pushing updates so soon. Personally, whenever possible always will choose the non carrier branded phones over the crippled carrier ones. I also agree it's great to see companies like HTC, OnePlus pushing multiple updates soon to make sure any launch issues/bugs are addressed quickly. Crazy people put a negative spin on more updates 😂😂
Samsung has been struggling even to push updates to their unlocked devices which is strange. And let's not forget Samsung and other flagship devices are on Android 7.0 while OP5 and U11 are on Android 7.1.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Samsung has been struggling even to push updates to their unlocked devices which is strange. And let's not forget Samsung and other flagship devices are on Android 7.0 while OP5 and U11 are on Android 7.1.
Yeah both Samsung and LG bend over back to carriers and ignore the unlocked non carrier models completely. It's just pathetic.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for your feedback. Sorry if I missed it, but what device did you come most recently from?

jefbeard911

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

1. So, knowing all of this, you still bought the Oppo?
2. You mentioned poor customer service as a reason not to buy the Oppo, Have you dealt with HTC customer service? Its non-existent. Plus, HTC is crap quality.
3.,Still waiting for multiple 'true flagship' phone names..

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site

1. So, knowing all of this, you still bought the Oppo?
2. You mentioned poor customer service as a reason not to buy the Oppo, Have you dealt with HTC customer service? Its non-existent. Plus, HTC is crap quality.
3.,Still waiting for multiple 'true flagship' phone names..

1. I bought it with the intention to resell. Tried it out and quickly packed it up.

2.you do realize oppo and OnePlus are 2 different companies correct?

3. I mentioned plenty of flagships, the most important being the u11 which is close in price to the op5 and much superior in specs aside from ram.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify, Oneplus is a wholly owned subsidiary of Oppo. How this effects customer service I do not know.

Yes, OnePlus is owned by OPPO. This matters because, OPPO is probably manufacturing the OnePlus 5 devices in India to avoid the import taxes if imported otherwise. However, the customer support will go through OnePlus and not via OPPO.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Flagships for most people are going to be the G6, S8+, iP7+, PXL, S7 EDGE, V20, Z Force, etc, etc.

I agree! And that's one reason why I hesitate to get the G6. I like getting devices that are unique and perhaps even unknown to the average consumer.

VigneshChandz

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site
Check this out

CodeRape.blogspot.in

CodeRape

OnePlus another 'i' factor !? iplusOne !?
July 15, 2017

OnePlus a Chinese manufacturer has been an intuitive company since Dec 2013 breaking every Barriers towards customer likes and satisfaction. Last summer eagerly awaiting for the much fanfare OnePlus 5 , I received a tweet notification from Carl Pei, co founder OnePlus tweeting " who needs headphone jack " which is said to be a prime key design confidential details laid in hands of customers !! And sure they did include the headphone jack in the latest Flagship.

OnePlus.Inc

I am no way wrong in seeing OnePlus being moulded by the likes of the customers. No doubts , Carl Pei is being one of the engaging and liked leaders of the company . Hey Pete did I forget u , nope ur doing a great job !

Carl Pei , co founder OnePlus

OnePlus phones has always had a attitude " Hey Apple here I come "

Well ,
Speaking of the world wow factor ,
OnePlus is the most rumoured and the anticipated company in likes of today's gen.

Wait did I forget something ?
Oh I think I settled for this , wait

Yup " xx NEVER SETTLE xx "

NEVER SETTLE

Yes they have been sticking to this tagline from the very beginning quitting compromises that is geared for the Flagship killers !

When the first OnePlusOne was unveiled on 23rd April 2014 , It grabbed many eyeballs but with a stitch of cataract i.e. the invite system . U guys serious !
Some argued ,
" U need Flagship killer fight for it "
I indeed fought!!

And that is the true buck I gave for the OnePlus and many raised questions !
As in ocean of Indian minds , people always had a thought, with quality comes hefty price tag, but this bridge is is deteriorating due to the flooding of OnePlus.

My fascination broke , I suddenly felt , when OnePlus can give quality Flagship for the awe factor price , why not other companies ?! Are the companies minting profits or OnePlus letting profits go ?!

But some may argue, (again)
U do get 4yrs of updates paying a hefty price for the premium iPhone , but who is using it for four ******* years !?
OnePlus judged 2 years and thus give support for 2 yrs ( Yea I Kno what happened to OnePlus2 ).

All of sudden the company was attracted by Indian minds and just as iPhone did but I think this time OnePlus won !

The Indian minds were totally mind raped by the price for the Flagship , but now it's possible ! Guess the Indian minds are gonna be difficult to break in for other companies to win OnePlus !
"Hey Samsung u too "

The 3 and 3T , wait do I have to say anything when already it has been a hit and run success for the company !
It has made every Apple and Samsung chicks to think twice are they getting the flagship tech hands on with the price they are actually made ? I blame OnePlus for this to happen !

I do argue again , ( lol )

I pay hefty just in for the hardware and software optimization produced by the latest Flagships and yet again,
OnePlus proved me wrong by turning OnePlus5 in and If I do not recognize this development from such a evolving company the OnePlus babes are gonna ditch me ! ( Yeah I said babes ! ).

Coming to latest offering from the OnePlus,

" Focus what matters " the most "

Focus what matters abstractly focus its yard work i have been diligently doing with the OnePlus 5 . It focusesNow my phone has 2 Eyes , u Kno wat I mean , if not, Carl pei can get this !

Wait did I forget the company's best in class feature , well as I inject this in my brain , they were kind of promising to boast of " ___ " is that a dash !
Oh yes the DASH charge !! Alright it keeps dashing me to charge my phone just to see how fast , I am impressed ! It charges my 3T before I complete telling u guys how I feel ! Quite emasculating for major players in the market considering the dash charge.

By now , u guys would have noticed I never brought out the "design" element considering OnePlus.

Cuz I Kno that would eventually grow to become better and lighter ! Honestly I didn't like the OnePlus 1 design , but eventually it has grown, to turn itself as a victim to critics like

" iPhone that is running Android "

considering the OnePlus 5 ' s industrial design, citing the fact it looked similar alongside iPhone 7 plus .
( Quite a honor I guess ! Lol !! )

iPhone running Android ?

Rather much , Now its more sleek , slim and pretty comfortable on hands.

I am not going to talk about the battery when there is dash charge ! Everything Sums up to "DASH" charge. That shuts my mouth to talk more about the battery I guess !

When did Snapdragon learn to spit the best fire !? After taking in most of the oxygen I guess ! Wait a minute does that mean OXYGEN OS ! Qualcomm and Oneplus has yet again invade it's dragon to deliver the best buttery smooth experienced in any other Android Flagships. Though many lauded for its performance some criticized it's benchmarks , which actually contradict the day to day daily usage ! I guess benchmarks is not a problem here I guess !

My fingers typing on the OnePlus 3 auto typed it's verdict for the company

" A small company decided to **** useless innovations and recreate by incarcinating the endless loop of Customer Satisfaction ! They literally earned it ".

Every OnePlus member community now has everything to boast of as in 2017 !? Let's altogether crave I write the same thing next yr. Until now OnePlus - Promisable , Affordable and Powerful.

Cuz ,

" Every Other Company's aggressive rise is the Other Company's fall presence "

Guys , I totally got dissolved where I forgot to review abt myself !

I am Vignesh ,a passionate tech blogger, wait

Dear Oneplus

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I really loved a lot of things about the OP3T but I was paying off my last contract. I became contract free and am now in the world of unlocked phone and I just haven't been that interested in the OP5. For starters I don't trust the company, the camera is not what I was hoping for. I wanted a wide angle lense. Yeah, the rest of the specs are good but it's just not unique. The OP3T & OP3T had a unique recognizable look. The OP5 just doesn't look special to me. I like my phone to stand out and not blend with the isheep and gsheep. I think I'm going to get the U11. That thing is just sexy and I trust HTC to build a quality device and support it. I'm done with Samsung and all their baggage, I like the G6 but idk, it's just not exciting.

If the OP5 was under $400 I think it would be a more serious contender for me but so close in price to the U11, that kind of seals the deal for me.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
thought I'll share my impression of the phone too after using it for a while. It's a decent phone with some clear advantage over its competitors like the performance, and the software experience (a bit subjective). Battery life is decent too. But to me it's very much the same formula as the OnePlus 3, which doesn't work quite as well this year for a few reasons.

First the price is higher than before. Then the other flagship devices in the market are mostly pretty good this year, so it makes the compromises on the OP5 a little less tolerable too. Like the lack of water resistance, and the camera is no where near what OnePlus hyped it up to be. And of course at this point, prices of some other flagship devices are coming down in price (at least where I live). So a 6GB OP5 costs around the same as the LG G6, and only around 150USD cheaper than the Galaxy S8. Oh, and people are understandably a bit concerned about the update situation too looking at the OnePlus 2.

It's probably still worth it just for the performance and software experience in my opinion, but it's not as great a value compared to say the OP3 was back then. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45