Greetings -

My OnePlus 5 (Oxygen/Nougat) should arrive shortly to replace my ailing Nexus 5 (Marshmallow).

I've attempted to do my due diligence and research the transfer, but I'm left confused by articles that refer to slightly different processes/UIs.

Is NFC/Touch & Go the new paradigm? Is it really as simple as turning on both, enabling NFC and having the OnePlus pull in the apps & data? Any additional paid app considerations?

I'd welcome a good step by step FAQ (or, if I must, a video) that explains the process. Bottom line, I'd like to get as complete a migration as I can of apps & data, without putting my entire life on the cloud (any more than I already do). So, if it's *not* the NFC approach, a PC-based solution would be preferable to cloud-based.

Thanks kindly,

- Richard
    06-29-2017 04:40 PM
    The NFC setup thing is good, but it won't get everything.

You'll still have apps you'll need to setup manually, and you'll have to manually copy across any user data (pics, videos, downloaded files etc) also if you use a custom launcher you should back it up and transfer the backup.
    06-29-2017 05:08 PM
    I also came from a Nexus 5 to OP5 the NFC transfer although sounds like a good concept did not work for me as described. I still had to load all apps from another phone I had used as it would not pick up these from the Nexus 5 backup or through NFC.
    06-30-2017 08:10 AM
    I moved from an HTC 10. Tried the NFC thing. It essentially just told the OP5 what my google account was and then the OP5 proceeded to download all my apps from the play store. Google linked accounts required no further sign in, but did have to re-sign in to almost everything else (banks, dropbox, etc). One or 2 moved over the login credentials, but I forget which ones they were.

Had to manually move over pics, songs, vids, etc. Thankfully, I'd kept my old SD card adapter so I took that out of the 10 and plugged in straight to my laptop and moved over USB. Gotta admit, that was the fastest data transfer I've seen on a phone. About 25GB of data in 10-15 minutes (not 10% sure since I went to make dinner after I started the transfer).

The one annoyance was moving text messages over. Had to get an app (SMS Backup & Restore) to my about 45K text messages over. Not sure why That's not part of what Google allows to be backed up when switching phones.
    06-30-2017 09:10 AM