Dear all,

Sorry for asking a possibly n00b'ish question. I'm a long-time iOS user, who is switching over to Android.

I've been researching which Android phone to get, and I'm on the fence between the OnePlus 5 and the likely-to-be-released-later-this-year Google Pixel "2".

Two of the key points for me are frequent security updates to Android, and also feature updates as new Android versions are released. There is a lot of commentary on OnePlus on the Interwebs in this regard, and I find it hard to sift through what's real and what's no longer true as OnePlus has grown.

How has OnePlus been performing regarding timely security updates to their flagship phones lately?

Which upcoming Android major releases do you expect to see released for OnePlus 5, based on their past performance? I assume that Android O is a given for the 5, but that the next 2018 Android release is most likely not coming to the 5?

Thank you!
    06-30-2017 06:50 AM
    OnePlus is intermittently good, which means they're also intermittently bad I suppose. They're still better than most OEMs are. The OP5 should get O and P, plus it's good for custom ROMs so people will probably make Q available for it too.
    MortySE likes this.
    06-30-2017 09:55 AM
    OnePlus is intermittently good, which means they're also intermittently bad I suppose. They're still better than most OEMs are. The OP5 should get O and P, plus it's good for custom ROMs so people will probably make Q available for it too.
    Pretty much this.

They're one of the better companies when it comes to updates... For the first year or so, then they release a new device and it all goes wrong. Historically, at least.

They do seem to have been consistently improving though, they managed to keep the 3 and 3T at parity... Basically we need to wait and see what they do with the 3 now the 5 is out.
    Aquila and MortySE like this.
    06-30-2017 10:16 AM
    Thank you both!
    06-30-2017 11:16 AM
    Good thread. Historically I'm wondering how quickly updates are released? I.e. How soon can we expect O?

For example I'm sure the S8 will get O but I'm equally sure it won't be in 2017!
    06-30-2017 01:43 PM
    Good thread. Historically I'm wondering how quickly updates are released? I.e. How soon can we expect O?

For example I'm sure the S8 will get O but I'm equally sure it won't be in 2017!
    OnePlus has claimed it will get O out before the end of 2017.
    Aquila and neil74 like this.
    06-30-2017 02:56 PM

Well, when Nougat was released they promised it by the end of 2016 and it came through on December 31st! So it'll probably take about 2 months. I'd put good money on the 5 getting O before the S8. Especially the unlocked one.
    Aquila and neil74 like this.
    06-30-2017 02:58 PM
    Given the low bar for updates set by most manufacturers, I think OnePlus is one of the better ones. In the Android space, nothing can touch Google though. OnePlus is a distant #2 with Samsung all the way at the bottom!
    06-30-2017 07:39 PM
    Given the low bar for updates set by most manufacturers, I think OnePlus is one of the better ones. In the Android space, nothing can touch Google though. OnePlus is a distant #2 with Samsung all the way at the bottom!
    For the first year.

When it comes to the second year, ehhh. Samsung is not the greatest when it comes to updates, but there are worse.
    07-01-2017 08:21 AM