OnePlus 5 "Jelly" scrolling - Should you be worried?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Tell us, die hard. What do your Elven eyes see? :p

Maybe mine does have it but I can't tell... I'd rather not pick at the thread unnecessarily...
Well, when he scrolled, I can see some compression at the top end. It's not immediately obvious but it did stick out to me after a while.

It's not as bad as I saw on others, but it's there, at least to my eyes.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Well, when he scrolled, I can see some compression at the top end. It's not immediately obvious but it did stick out to me after a while.

It's not as bad as I saw on others, but it's there, at least to my eyes.
I am not seeing any kind of such compression at the top. In fact this scrolling is same as I get in my U11 and S8.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I am discussing this at the XDA forums as well and this is crazy. Before you decide anything, please here me out and correct me if I am wrong.

Normal scrolling behavior. We just scro up and down to the speed and content we are looking/reading at. That's the normal behavior.

In order to see/experience this jelly effect, you have to switch from this normal scrolling behavior and induce the effect by:
"Keep the finger on the screen and scroll up and down. Never remove the finger from the screen, sometime change the speed. Accelerate and deacceleration your scrolling."

Come on guys, this is ridiculous. If jelly effect is abnormal so is this scrolling behavior. It's like doing something that is uncommon for almost all users and deeming that it's a problem for everyone.

If I have to induce this behavior, sorry, then this is wrong. If it affects my everyday scrolling, I will be furious and it does not.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok I just don't see it, and/or am not bother by it on my device! Mine scrolls smooth as silk!

Armeniandave

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I can see it on mine and compared to my S8+ it's very noticeable. Started the RMA process but OnePlus is making the RMA incredibly painful. if feels like they are stalling on what would be a simple RMA. They even want a picture of my case before they issues the RMA! If your planning on returning the phone better start early in your 15 days!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Here are two videos, one in Twitter app and the other in Reddit app. Please tell me if I am missing something. The scrolling seems fine and I don't see any jelly effect here.

Twitter app: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=anJaSG5QdFBTNDBLUkdWc0dkVENsVjhjM0tzb1JB

Reddit app: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=UnFtMlllQThIUDM4YlR5cUwyeUNSQlJzSjVkWE5B

I just looked at the two videos too and I couldn't see anything. Then again, if little glitches like this happen, I either don't really care or I just get used to it and continue on. 😜

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I don't expect people to get it immediately. It's really subtle in my case and pk's.

Chances are, your OP5s are one of the better ones.