OnePlus 5 "Jelly" scrolling - Should you be worried?

jdm8000

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Really hoping this is a software issue that can be fixed. Yes, the panel is refreshing from bottom to top, but maybe by declaring the panel as inverted in the kernel (more on that here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5/help/jelly-scrolling-kernel-test-t3631232) the software is also inverting the refresh direction of the GPU to top-bottom, causing the image refreshed to be out of sync. If this is the case, it could be fixed in a software/GPU driver update so the GPU and screen both refresh bottom to top, in sync. Here's hoping...

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
It depends. Not all OP5s have a jelly scroll that's very noticeable.

digitalbreak's unit is likely one of the better ones.

Better one as in not affected, or better one as in less noticeable.
If the latter, that there are those exhibiting more of an issue than others, then that somewhat draws into question the apparent cause, since I would have expected a more consistent appearance were that the case.
Has anyone actually proven that the screen is mounted upside down by a conclusive test, ie a teardown.
Simply holding a phone upside down is not that in my opinion.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just can't seem to get my phone to do it or I just don't notice the effect. This is such a non issue for me! lol

Skylight99

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
I've never seen this problem on the display of any other phone. When using the camera, yes, almost any phone does the jello effect because of the sensor read out speed. I think all brands should test their phones to the limit to avoid their customers getting frustrated. I remember a long time ago reading that Nokia would test their units many months before they even announced a new phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't have one yet, but if I do get it, it just depends on whether or not I will be annoyed by it. Hard to say without actually using it.

TheGrayWolf81

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Just take your phone (if it's not a OnePlus 5 of course) and flip it upside-down, then open up something like a web page or social media and scroll through. This should give a a jelly scrolling effect. The reason behind this "jelly" effect is exactly that, an upside-down screen. OP decided to use the same display panel as in the 3T to cut costs, but due to other factors, like the larger camera module, the display couldn't keep is original orientation, so it had to be install the other way around, or upside-down. I honesly don't believe it's as big an issue as people seem to make it, but it's definitely there.

TheGrayWolf81

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Really hoping this is a software issue that can be fixed. Yes, the panel is refreshing from bottom to top, but maybe by declaring the panel as inverted in the kernel (more on that here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5/help/jelly-scrolling-kernel-test-t3631232) the software is also inverting the refresh direction of the GPU to top-bottom, causing the image refreshed to be out of sync. If this is the case, it could be fixed in a software/GPU driver update so the GPU and screen both refresh bottom to top, in sync. Here's hoping...

Definitely agreed.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Any other users out there experiencing the jelly effect? I'm pretty sure this will be my next phone but I'm doubting that, even if my OP5 has a jelly effect, I will be that annoyed by it. Part of me wonders if I'll even notice it lool. I guess we'll see when the time comes!

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Any other users out there experiencing the jelly effect? I'm pretty sure this will be my next phone but I'm doubting that, even if my OP5 has a jelly effect, I will be that annoyed by it. Part of me wonders if I'll even notice it lool. I guess we'll see when the time comes!

As I previously stated I didn't see it or was bothered by it on my phone. I made a video which I can probably dig up. SOME have said they can see it in my video, but *I* can not, and the scrolling on my OP5 never bothered me. I HAVE since moved on to other phones (you guys know me! lol)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As I previously stated I didn't see it or was bothered by it on my phone. I made a video which I can probably dig up. SOME have said they can see it in my video, but *I* can not, and the scrolling on my OP5 never bothered me. I HAVE since moved on to other phones (you guys know me! lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_XoNaEitdM

Thank you for your video! I personally didn't see anything either! What phone are you using now? :)

pkcable

Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your video! I personally didn't see anything either! What phone are you using now? :)

Currently I have 4 phones, iPhone 7 Plus, and Samsung S8 with SIM cards, Pixel XL for messing around with Oreo (no SIM), and a Lumia 950 as a kinda sorta PC in a continuum dock. I've also recently had and got rid of a Mate 9 (sold), Mi Mix (sold), BlackBerry KEYone (given to Dad), and Moto Z Force (traded for the Pixel XL). The OnePlus 5 was sold.