6gb or 8gb OnePlus 5?

n apple

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: 6gb or 8gb

I think you should go for the higher one, especially if you're thinking about having a phone for more than a year as it will fiil with 4K video, apps...

immortalHD

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I think 8gb ram is an outlier for current flagship phones, and that, at least for the next two years, Android versions will be optimized for a high end of 6gb. BTW, Samsung gs8 is 4gb.

Right now, the 6GB version is the best value. It already has 2GB more RAM than other flagships, but if you intend on keeping the phone for a long time the 8GB is definitely more future proof.

Kilgore Trout1

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Well, the way I see it you should always go for the highest specs.
In the future...

If you ever sell it, resale will be premium.

If you keep it you have a great backup when you upgrade. (I had a Moto Z, the screen went black and my only backup was a Droid3. :mad: )

If you think about 8gb to 16bg will be the norm. in about 2 years so why not beat the rush.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
The 8 gb isn't really the issue, though. It's the larger storage space. The marketing seems to be all about the RAM, but I suspect that this obscures the real reason a lot of people will be choosing the higher model.

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Re: 6gb or 8gb

Get the 8GB version.

Not for the RAM, but for the storage.

Having 128GB of ultrafast storage for not a heap more is a no-brainer IMO.

This post really sums up what people should be looking at.
I haven't seen any specific criticism of performance because a phone "only has 4gb of ram".
Let alone 6 or 8.
I would have at first thought that the upgrade was an option to eke out a bit more profit with a higher price bump justified by the extra memory, and that may still be the reason.
Still, the upgrade is good value on the extra internal storage alone.
The ram, if it is actually having some tangible benefit is a bonus.

Admittedly that is what brought me here, but I am not going to post for that reason only, and will try to do so after that concludes.
I am very prone to having lots to say, and hope for this to be an outlet where I can offer something positive or constructive in that.

Last edited by a moderator:

lancester28

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Remember that more ram is not equal to better performance, only when you run out of it.

As for storage i doubt you will ever go close to 64gb. And if you do you could super easily move your images and videos to Google Drive or Dropbox.

I agree, i mean, 8gb of ram? Where do you even use them except for playing 4k videos? You can save money with the 6gb too

Woody1995

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
I'd probably go for the 128GB and 8GB RAM variant, plus the midnight black colour just makes the phone look so sleek and adds to the factor of it being a beast of a machine, I mean the 8GB RAM is complete overkill in some respects but you can't complain when the phone runs so fast and smooth!

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I think 8gb ram is an outlier for current flagship phones, and that, at least for the next two years, Android versions will be optimized for a high end of 6gb. BTW, Samsung gs8 is 4gb.
Two years is a loooong time for such predictions...