Some users are reporting that the OnePlus 5 reboots when making a 911 call

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
They needed to.

I can rest easy now.

What of the phandroid report of it being a wider issue, though?

Nobody bought a Zenfone, but if the GS7 is really affected that could be a problem...

Someone needs to get to the bottom of whether this is actually an AOSP problem.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
What of the phandroid report of it being a wider issue, though?

Nobody bought a Zenfone, but if the GS7 is really affected that could be a problem...

Someone needs to get to the bottom of whether this is actually an AOSP problem.
Yeah, that's weird.

If it's a fault in the AOSP code, then we have a bigger issue.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I dunno... To be honest I suspect trolling. I suspect it's someone on Reddit trying to get people to make bogus emergency calls for Lulz.

If it is true it'd be pretty bad, although as long as it works with 0118 999 881999119 725 ... 3 (the UK emergency services number) I'm fine personally haha.

Also if it's true, I hope this person has actually contacted Oneplus and not just started a damn Reddit thread...

How is someone on reddit baiting them into it when One Plus themselves has acknowledge the issue on their forum? Sorry but you aren't making much sense.

Especially after this -- https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...plus-5-software-update-911-reboot-issue-fixed.

OnePlus has issued a software update that fixes the 911 issue that some OnePlus 5 users were reportedly experiencing earlier this week.

"We have begun rolling out the software update. Timing may vary by region,” a OnePlus representative said in a statement to The Verge. “We encourage OnePlus 5 users to download the update. If users haven't received a notification, check for the update by going to “Settings” > “System Updates.”

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
How is someone on reddit baiting them into it when One Plus themselves has acknowledge the issue on their forum? Sorry but you aren't making much sense.

Especially after this -- https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...plus-5-software-update-911-reboot-issue-fixed.

Because at the time I wrote that comment, Oneplus hadn't publicly confirmed anything, that verge article didn't exist, and the update that you'd see I have received if you read into this thread hadn't been written, let alone pushed out to phones.

You... DO understand how linear time works? lol

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Because at the time I wrote that comment, Oneplus hadn't publicly confirmed anything, that verge article didn't exist, and the update that you'd see I have received if you read into this thread hadn't been written, let alone pushed out to phones.

You... DO understand how linear time works? lol

I definitely do understand how time works it is just the reports were saying people were trying to dial nine-one-one for help and then it happened not something like a troll prank (such as the clickable link on Twitter that caused iPhones to go nuts).

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
"man, this issue is scary, better check my phone works..."

*Dials 911*

"Hello, nine one one what's your emergency?"

"Uh, I don't have one..."

"Then why did you dial nine one one sir?"

"Um... Reddit told me..."

"Sir, are you aware that it's a federal offence to falsely call the emergency services, you're endangering people's lives and safety."

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

*Dials 911*

"Sir, are you aware that it's a federal offence to falsely call the emergency services, you're endangering people's lives and safety."
In all of honesty, when people do 911 test calls, they usually inform their local PD first to let them know ahead of time.

So as long as it's just to test whether your phone is able to reach an operator, you should be okay.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
In all of honesty, when people do 911 test calls, they usually inform their local PD first to let them know ahead of time.

So as long as it's just to test whether your phone is able to reach an operator, you should be okay.

This is true. And people usually don't give credit card details or social security numbers out to cold callers on the phone... Except sometimes they do.

Honestly, I'm a bit bored of this and take it all back, everyone believe everything they read on Reddit and don't question it.

I believe that this is a real issue with the One plus 5. Read this article from android central: OnePlus is looking into potential OnePlus 5 '911 reboot' issue https://www.androidcentral.com/oneplus-looking-potential-oneplus-5-911-reboot-issue

We know. No one is saying it wasn't a real issue. Thankfully it's been fixed now.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

*Dials 911*

Well, it was not a random 911 call. The user who tried it was trying to call 911 due to a fire incident in his place. He happens to be someone who knows tech and immediately recorded the video of OP5 rebooting.

Reddit user Nick Morrelli noticed the glitch after he tried to call 911 to report a building fire in Seattle, and other users have reported that the OnePlus 5 is unable to dial 911 (or 999 in the UK, as another user reported) without rebooting. While most users haven’t reported having the issue, any percentage of devices not being able to reach emergency services is a major issue for OnePlus.

Users are not stupid to call 911 simply to try it out but this is a critical feature that should work regardless.

I am glad OnePlus released a fix.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I expected One Plus to respond immediately. I don't own the device, but I'm glad this issue was promptly addressed and resolved.

Imagine the liability of One Plus if someone was in a dangerous situation and couldn't communicate with 911.