Ordering Day!

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
just ordered a 128 8gb version. Sending my Essential ph1 back. I absolutely love the ph1 but the performance is bringing me down. I hope the screen and performance on the OP will make me hold to it.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Awesome to hear!

OP5T collected yesterday and set up within minutes of getting home (NFC transfer from phone to phone makes life so easy these days) :)

First impressions... Feels small in the hand compared to the Note 8, but it's a superb phone and very slick indeed!

It's perfect for my needs, I'm not overly paranoid about dropping it/damaging it/scratching it etc (would still be livid if I did)!

A decent, flat, 6" screen is just what I was after and that's what I've got :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
just ordered a 128 8gb version. Sending my Essential ph1 back. I absolutely love the ph1 but the performance is bringing me down. I hope the screen and performance on the OP will make me hold to it.

Let us know how you like it! Sorry to hear that the Essential Phone wasn't what you hoped it would be!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
OP5T collected yesterday and set up within minutes of getting home (NFC transfer from phone to phone makes life so easy these days) :)

First impressions... Feels small in the hand compared to the Note 8, but it's a superb phone and very slick indeed!

It's perfect for my needs, I'm not overly paranoid about dropping it/damaging it/scratching it etc (would still be livid if I did)!

A decent, flat, 6" screen is just what I was after and that's what I've got :)

Awesome that it arrived! So glad you love it! It does look like a very smooth, slick device. Enjoy! :)

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Awesome that it arrived! So glad you love it! It does look like a very smooth, slick device. Enjoy! :)

Very impressed with it so far...

Doesn't feel like it's a 6" screen, think it's because the phone is so slim. More so when sat next to my Nexus 6 (it looks tiny compared to it)!

liscon17

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
So after a week and a bit with the phone, its boxed up ready to go back.

I thought I could live with it but these past couple of days it has just bugged me to the point where I can't say I'd enjoy it for 2 years, here are my reasons;

1- the screen as good as reviewers make it out to be, the 1080p resolution just irritates me and I don't know why but once I see some jagged lines and pixels I can't un-see them. A lot of you will call me an ***** and that the panel is just fine but the screen is what you interact with on a daily basis and if its detracting from the enjoyment of using the phone then that's not cool.

2- The lack of HD support on Netflix and that Youtube is defaulted to 480p. Now I watch a lot of Netflix on the go and seeing that the OP5t had a HD screen I thought it would be perfect for consuming content however it was only till after I had recevied the phone that I came across this issue. Not only that in order to watch Youtuve in HD you need to manually select this every time, talk about annoying. To me the fact OnePlus are raving about the screen while lacking this simple software feature baffles. I'm more surprised that none of the reviewers picked up on this but I am aware they only test the device for a short period of time so they won't be able to test everything.

3- The headphone jack is quite compared to the devices I've used in the past. I was expecting to hear some loud and punchy tones to come from my headphones but this doesnt appear to the case as I have to turn the volume way up in order to get just a decent volume. I have tested with other headphones and I've plugged the phone into my car stereo, all were disappointing again.

4- The camera. Now I thought I'd be able to get away with the camera in the OP5t, reviews said it was just 'okay' and I was full aware of this upon purchase. After doing testing, light and dark shots, HDR on/off etc etc I've come to the conclusion that I just can't live with it. The shots I've taken have this weird watercolour effect to them when HDR is on and the secondary sensor is just a massive waste of time and not even worth the money, not to mention the mind-boggling omission of OIS on even just the main sensor. I know they will most likely send out software updates but I just want a camera I can safe for certain will work brilliantly 100% of the time. When i need to take those all important shots, the OP5t just doesn't fill me with confidence and I just doubt it's ability every time I take it out of my pocket. Software can only do so much to improve the sensor (Google are pros at this) but you need a decent base to start from and I can't wait or hope that OnePlus brings out changes that will turn the camera into a dependable one, well for me at least.

5- Size. Well this isn't much of an issue as I get on fine with it but like any other 6" 18:9 phone it is just awkward in jacket pockets and especially in jeans. This is not a con on the OP5t's part its just a con of big phones in general. I know this kinda argument kinda contradicts my desire to have a good video consumption device but coming from a much smaller phone (Nexus 4) I've tried to accept its size but I just struggling. I know with time this could change but I'd rather keep using the N4 to wait and see what comes out in the near future, I'm a patient guy.

6- Software. Does not support treble and is still running 7.1.1, unacceptable for a late 2017 device, even if it is coming in early 2018. Actually using the phone was a delight with speed and fluidity being top notch, I can't knock it that department.

7- Finally...the speaker. This is in the completely the opposite location to where it should be in that it should have been on the side where the hpj currently resides. I cover the damn thing every time I hold the phone, does not matter if it is landscape or portrait. Again this links with my Netflix/consumption points, if I can't hear the damn audio then whats the point of the big screen?? This is one of the biggest pet hates I have with the device and no amount of time is able to fix this issue.

I had massive hopes the OP5t was going to be my saviour with its clean build of android, lower cost, flat screen, HPJ, metal body, rear fps. I really did want to love this phone but even the relative cost cannot make up for the shortcomings i have with this phone.

My N4 is dead/no longer with us and I'm now using my brothers old iphone 5 which is not what I wanted but is my only option. To all of those who say that the iphone is worse than the OP5t, it most definitely is but I want my next phone be something that fills all my needs and is something I enjoy on a day to day and it will be able to last me another 3 years, the OP5t will not do this.

My search continues........

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
1. Please show me an example of the jagged lines. Even the tiny % sign looks like circles to me. At least as close as I can hold phone and still focus. I never know what this complaint looks like in real life. I keep thinking back to 8 bit console games.

2. My YouTube defaults to 1080p so not sure why yours doesn't. Are you logged in or viewing as a guest?

3. Have had no headphone issues. Will have to run a comparison with my note 3.

4. Software is THE determining factor in cell phone cameras. Or do you think the sensor that One+ chose is the worst possible and they figured no one would care? They are still pretty new to the phone game. Software takes many attempts to get right. Personally I see zero issues with the camera. The app needs more modes or I have no idea how to use it. See no sphere or panorama mode though.

5. This phone is very small for it's screen size. 1/4" taller and 1/4" narrower than my note 3 with it's 5.7" screen. Biggest problem is the profile. I very much prefer the flat edge sides to give fingers something to squeeze. If you don't grab it perfectly it twists and slips out of hand. And the anodized aluminum is premium but slicker than anything. Loved the faux leather back of my Note. Was a very confidence inspiring grip.

6. What? Name another non Google device officially on Oreo.

7. I have no idea how you hold the phone but my grip basically cups the speaker and amplifies it.

Go find your perfect device because it isn't the O+ for sure. And if you can find it for less than 560 please let me know because I will definitely look into it.

liscon17

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
2. Google Widevine L3 about HD video support

6. HTC U11+, Nokia 8, Sony XZ1 are officially carrying Oreo.

7. I hold the phone in my right hand predominantly with the pinky finger resting under the speaker.

All I've done is just given the reasons why I don't like the phone, I'm not saying its the worst phone ever and I appreciate that its excellent value but to me its not what I had hoped for. I will continue my search and will inform once I've found it

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
2. Google Widevine L3 about HD video support

6. HTC U11+, Nokia 8, Sony XZ1 are officially carrying Oreo.

7. I hold the phone in my right hand predominantly with the pinky finger resting under the speaker.

All I've done is just given the reasons why I don't like the phone, I'm not saying its the worst phone ever and I appreciate that its excellent value but to me its not what I had hoped for. I will continue my search and will inform once I've found it

I'm sorry you weren't happy with your 5T! Are you leaning towards another specific phone for your next device?

liscon17

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
I'm sorry you weren't happy with your 5T! Are you leaning towards another specific phone for your next device?

As per power5's comment the chances of finding the 'perfect phone' are so slim and with most high end devices opting for the 6" 18:9 screen I think I'm going to be searching for a while. The galaxy S8 seems to fit a lot of the criteria but the samsung skin is just horrible (have played with a friends).

I suppose the Pixel 2 has a lot going for it but the lack of hpj is really really putting me off however it is smaller, has stock android, decent speakers. No doubt I'll probably wait for christmas sales to see if anything comes down in price.

Do you have any suggestions @Morty2264

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As per power5's comment the chances of finding the 'perfect phone' are so slim and with most high end devices opting for the 6" 18:9 screen I think I'm going to be searching for a while. The galaxy S8 seems to fit a lot of the criteria but the samsung skin is just horrible (have played with a friends).

I suppose the Pixel 2 has a lot going for it but the lack of hpj is really really putting me off however it is smaller, has stock android, decent speakers. No doubt I'll probably wait for christmas sales to see if anything comes down in price.

Do you have any suggestions @Morty2264

Finding a phone that meets all of your criterion is definitely a challenge - sometimes you find something that comes close and sometimes you kind of settle with a phone that has your must-haves and not some of your "wanted extras."

I have a few suggestions, for sure, but it depends on what you are looking for. The LG G6 is a great device but it's at 5.7", and you said you wanted a 6" device, yes?

The Pixel 2 line is also a recommendation of mine; mainly because it has stock Android, will be the first to get updates, and has a ton of excellent features (battery performance and a personalized reading of battery left depending on your specific usage; great camera; water resistance; AOD; and the Google Assistant squeeze gesture) that make it a supreme device to use. While it's true that it doesn't have the headphone jack, I've read and seen that users and reviewers are enjoying their audio experience with the dongles. I too kind of feel disappointed that Google took this route, but to me, that is really the only drawback of this phone. If you are worried about it, however, I recommend going to a store and asking to try out the dongles to see what the listening experience is like! I'm sure you are not the only customer to ask that of a sales rep!

Speaking of LG earlier, I can't believe I didn't think of the V30 earlier. It's a gorgeous device and it's the size you're looking for. Plus, I've held one and even with my small hands, it was a great and easy device to navigate. I really recommend it.

Also, I too dislike Samsung's UI. Tried to get used to it on my mom's S6 Edge and just can't.

liscon17

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
Ah yes the V30 you're right I did't think of that. From what I recall the only reason why it was never in my mind was the issues with P-OLED hence why I've not mentioned the Pixel 2 XL but I need to go to a store to check it out (no doubt it will be on sale at a discount in the near future).

Overall I think I've found the 6" experience too unwieldy for my liking but thanks for the help though.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Ah yes the V30 you're right I did't think of that. From what I recall the only reason why it was never in my mind was the issues with P-OLED hence why I've not mentioned the Pixel 2 XL but I need to go to a store to check it out (no doubt it will be on sale at a discount in the near future).

Overall I think I've found the 6" experience too unwieldy for my liking but thanks for the help though.

You're right - checking them out in-store would be a good way to weed out potentials.

Oh, whoops! Sorry, I misread earlier - I'd thought you had said you'd wanted a six inch screen. My bad! There are a lot of good phones out there that are in the middle size-wise that work great. The Huawei P10 Plus is 5.5", has a great dual camera, and a huge battery (3750 mAh).

Then you have the Moto line, with devices like the Z2 Play reaching that 5.5" margin.

But yes, I am sure there will be lots of sales on smartphones soon! Perhaps that will also help in making your choice a bit easier.

Personally, I am going to grab the Pixel 2 (for now, anyway!). Oh, speaking of the Pixels, have you considered the original Pixel line? They are stellar phones, and are at a discounted price now that the 2 line is out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463