Is there Always On Screen?

ChumsFuture

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Where the screen will show time, date, notifications?

galaxy-s7-always-on-display-3.jpg

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Not always on like a Samsung device, but there is an ambient display that'll display the time and notifications for a moment when you pick up the OnePlus.

From videos I've seen the implementation on the 5T looks more like a Samsung phone, much different from the OP5. Does anyone know if it customizable?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
This is a real shame, the AOD is a great feature. Wonder the hardware would allow them to add this eventually?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the OP line has AOD; but they do have double tap to wake the lockscreen; which would give you a quick glance at notifications. It would be nice if they indeed implemented an AOD on upcoming devices, however.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
We know it does not currently have it. Personally I just want to know if it is on their roadmap, surely it is something they could add? Not buying Googles original pixel claim that special hardware is needed

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
We know it does not currently have it. Personally I just want to know if it is on their roadmap, surely it is something they could add? Not buying Googles original pixel claim that special hardware is needed

Yeah, I wonder what it takes to make an AOD phone. Is it hardware, then? I had thought it would be a software-type addition... But then again, I don't know much about these kinds of things.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Don't see what special hardware would be needed to keep a simple graphic on screen all the time.

I just wish the double tap activated the simple clock black screen instead of waking the phone.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the OP line has AOD; but they do have double tap to wake the lockscreen; which would give you a quick glance at notifications. It would be nice if they indeed implemented an AOD on upcoming devices, however.

Yep double tap to wake is good, it also wakes up when the phone is picked up or nudged Also has notification LED, so no AOD isn't that big of a deal. Also saves battery. Despite the claims, AOD does drain battery a bit.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yep double tap to wake is good, it also wakes up when the phone is picked up or nudged Also has notification LED, so no AOD isn't that big of a deal. Also saves battery. Despite the claims, AOD does drain battery a bit.

Wow, that is a very intuitive device! Cool!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It drains battery at 1-2% per hour. Hardly noticeable.

If your phone is off the charger for 16 hours, 2% an hour adds up to 32%. That's nearly a third of the battery, and could easily be the difference between making it through a full day and not.

That's hardly insignificant.

That said, as long as there's an off switch it's not an issue.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
It drains battery at 1-2% per hour. Hardly noticeable.

That is actually quite substantial lol. Over the course of the day, that is really draining.

Honestly, AOD, to me, is something only useful with phones that have wireless charging. You can have it on a dock or a pad and its charging, negating the battery drain. Phones that don't have wireless charging, I don't think its worth the loss in battery since the typical person won't leave their phone always plugged in to the charger. Just my thoughts anyhow.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
On the Samsung AOD does use about 1% an hour, on a V30 and Pixel 2 it uses less than that. On some phones it may actually save battery as there is no need to pick up your phone to check

Personally I find it a great feature YMMV

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
On the Samsung AOD does use about 1% an hour, on a V30 and Pixel 2 it uses less than that. On some phones it may actually save battery as there is no need to pick up your phone to check

Personally I find it a great feature YMMV

You are right. Plus, I do wonder what the drain is on an LED constantly flashing. :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user