OnePlus 5T Screen Protector

Pemard

May 12, 2015
Visit site
In the next few days I will be purchasing my first OnePlus product. I've heard that it comes with a screen protector and I was curious how is the quality? If it is not that great, is there a better one?

If I do buy a different version, are there any precautions I should take when removing it? Is there typically any residue I need to clean off after it's removed and if so, what should I use to do so?

Thank you for the help in advance.

liscon17

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
The protector on mine was lifting on the edges by a mm meaning dust and lint was able to stick to it. I was tempted to peel it off but the phone was sent back within a couple of days.

To be fair it did appear to keep greasy fingerprints at bay while I used it

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have kept the screen protector that came with the phone on the phone. I purchased a 3d tempered glass, but as long as the original one works, I will use it.

So far the original one has no issues, no corner lifting, no lint or dust collection. A nice unexpected bonus.

CallMeEric

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, the protector on my was great. No lifting of any kind, no problems. I bought a tempered glass protector the same time as my 5T and left it on until my phone fell off a table and the screen hit the corner of a dumbbell lol.

No damage to my screen at all but the plastic protector ripped and peeled from the impact.

It did it's job!

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
The screen protector on it is garbage. In fact, the screen itself is more scratch resistant than the protector, there is no point at all in leaving it on there. Not to mention it is a fingerprint/lint magnet, reduces touch sensitivity on the screen, and once removed, your screen even looks a tad more clearer. Peel it off I say.

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The screen protector on it is garbage. In fact, the screen itself is more scratch resistant than the protector, there is no point at all in leaving it on there. Not to mention it is a fingerprint/lint magnet, reduces touch sensitivity on the screen, and once removed, your screen even looks a tad more clearer. Peel it off I say.
Quit holding back. Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

LLcdPH

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Tried the OnePlus glass screen protector for the 5T and had issues with it warping up on one spot on the screen. Just applied the Orzly Pro-fit tempered glass screen protector from Amazon and it appears to work perfectly for a fraction of the cost. $9.79 for two of them. Just follow the instructions.

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Tried the OnePlus glass screen protector for the 5T and had issues with it warping up on one spot on the screen. Just applied the Orzly Pro-fit tempered glass screen protector from Amazon and it appears to work perfectly for a fraction of the cost. $9.79 for two of them. Just follow the instructions.
Thanks for the heads up. I have yet to apply my OnePlus tempered glass one.

Jan 1, 2018
Visit site
Not sure if the screen protector that came with the phone will last or not but I disagree with the fingerprint magnet comment. If anything, this screen protector seems to reduce fingerprints and has no affect on screen sensitivity. I'm trying out the the folio style case so I probably don't need a screen protector but I will keep this one until it peels or bubbles or whatever.
One thing I noticed on my Wife's new S8, it seems very tough to get a glass protector on properly because of the curved edges. The OP5T is not as curved as the S8 but still, I suspect it will be tough to get it on properly. With the S8 it caused issues, one side of the screen was fine but the other side you had to press extra hard. Got rid of the protector and got an otterbox folio style case. Problem solved. The lady at the store said she was having the problem on almost all of the S8's.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
One thing I noticed on my Wife's new S8, it seems very tough to get a glass protector on properly because of the curved edges. The OP5T is not as curved as the S8 but still, I suspect it will be tough to get it on properly. With the S8 it caused issues, one side of the screen was fine but the other side you had to press extra hard. Got rid of the protector and got an otterbox folio style case. Problem solved. The lady at the store said she was having the problem on almost all of the S8's.

There are curved/radiused ones, I have a "Vigeer" protector on from day 1, that's curved/radiused on all the sides and corners. It's still stuck, perfectly, no even a hint of an edge or corner lifting.
I have a TPU case on behind it, which sort of overlaps the glass slightly, but even that doesn't seem to be causing an issue, in 5 weeks anyway.

There's another solution as well, made by Nillkin, that uses thinner (0.26 vs tyical 0.33 or so) glass, that conforms to the bevel and corners. I used one of these on my WinPhone 950XL, and it stayed on for over a year, despite having similar shaping to the Oneplus 5T.
I noticed Nillkin just started making/shipping these about 7-10 days ago (for the 5T, their 5 model gets good reviews too).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
In a review I watched of the 5T, the reviewer was able to peel off the screen protector without any residue or damage to the screen. :)

Amazon should have some good products to consider - IMO, as long as you go tempered glass, to retain the look and feel of the glass screen - you'll be good. :)

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Yeah stick to tempered glass. Plastic screen protectors are junk and totally 2010 or something. It is a nice gesture though they include it for the people who do like to keep it on there, along with the rubber case.

CallMeEric

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, the protector on my was great. No lifting of any kind, no problems. I bought a tempered glass protector the same time as my 5T and left it on until my phone fell off a table and the screen hit the corner of a dumbbell lol.

No damage to my screen at all but the plastic protector ripped and peeled from the impact.

It did it's job!
Well, I dropped my phone for the first time today onto the sidewalk. Completely cracked my tempered glass protector, which was the Official OnePlus brand, and there is zero scratches or cracks on my 5T screen.

Excellent quality and zero complaints.

Now to buy a replacement. I may get a different brand, but if not, I know the OnePlus brand is top quality.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, I dropped my phone for the first time today onto the sidewalk. Completely cracked my tempered glass protector, which was the Official OnePlus brand, and there is zero scratches or cracks on my 5T screen.

Excellent quality and zero complaints.

Now to buy a replacement. I may get a different brand, but if not, I know the OnePlus brand is top quality.

Wow! So glad your phone was okay, and that's awesome that OP makes great quality screen protectors! If I do get the 5T, I'll buy a protector from them! Thanks so much!

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Gorilla 5 is a pretty strong and scratch resistant material. definitely won't protect from a fall but I might peel off that plastic one when I receive it next week. I've never used a screen protector on any of my devices

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla 5 is a pretty strong and scratch resistant material. definitely won't protect from a fall but I might peel off that plastic one when I receive it next week. I've never used a screen protector on any of my devices
I have used a there protector on my Priv, but when that cracked, I just went naked. On the OnePlus I have used the one that came with the phone. It works well with no loss of sensitivity nor of screen clarity.

I will save the tempered glass one I ordered until this one gets yucky.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have used a there protector on my Priv, but when that cracked, I just went naked. On the OnePlus I have used the one that came with the phone. It works well with no loss of sensitivity nor of screen clarity.

I will save the tempered glass one I ordered until this one gets yucky.

That sounds like a good plan! Having a backup screen protector is a wise manoeuvre.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC