01-06-2018 06:10 PM
34 12
tools

The first thing that struck me as a new android user is the sheer number of apps in the store. And I don't mean that in a good way. It's frankly overwhelming, and trying to find ones that are from reliable developers is difficult. It feels like total hit and miss.

Ultimately, what I've decided to do to stay secure is to stick with major developer apps. So my phone has a very Microsoft feel to it. I've downloaded the Microsoft launcher, office, edge, news, weather, etc all from Microsoft so I trust they're secure.

Thanks Jcmg62 for your information. My idea is about the same as yours, will probably load BB Hub+ app so to use a trusted developer and find part of the UX I'm used to.
    I've also a short list of apps coming from recognized companies. For other apps I suppose is about the same as in Windows desktop, you need to evaluate the trustability of the developer case by case knowing the professional brands, researching outside the store to find the most valuable.
    Security is my first concern for Android considering the very personal usage and the long history of threats.
    Jcmg62 likes this.
    01-05-2018 11:11 AM
    Thanks Jcmg62 for your information. My idea is about the same as yours, will probably load BB Hub+ app so to use a trusted developer and find part of the UX I'm used to.
    I've also a short list of apps coming from recognized companies. For other apps I suppose is about the same as in Windows desktop, you need to evaluate the trustability of the developer case by case knowing the professional brands, researching outside the store to find the most valuable.
    Security is my first concern for Android considering the very personal usage and the long history of threats.
    Absolutely. To be honest one of the big advantages to being on a insulated platform like windows phone was a sense of security. Hackers don't tend to target a small user base.

I'm feeling more confident with every passing day that Android/Google is probably reasonably secure and a lot of the virus/hacker stories are over exaggerated, but with that said I've never been the type of guy who needs to have hundreds of apps on his phone to feel alive and I'm sure not gonna start now I'm running office, outlook, my banking apps and a couple of trusted news apps and that's good enough for me.
    01-05-2018 11:27 AM
    Absolutely. To be honest one of the big advantages to being on a insulated platform like windows phone was a sense of security. Hackers don't tend to target a small user base.

I'm feeling more confident with every passing day that Android/Google is probably reasonably secure and a lot of the virus/hacker stories are over exaggerated, but with that said I've never been the type of guy who needs to have hundreds of apps on his phone to feel alive and I'm sure not gonna start now I'm running office, outlook, my banking apps and a couple of trusted news apps and that's good enough for me.
    Security through obscurity is a real thing, but it can be dangerous. A lot of Apple users still think malware isn't a thing on their devices as a hangover from the 90s.

Explain to Jennifer Lawrence how secure iOS is. Bet she still uses an iPhone though lol.
    Jcmg62 likes this.
    01-05-2018 01:43 PM
    As long as a person avoids malicious apps and does not leave their phone laying around for someone to grab and install something on, Android is basically secure. The odds of a person's phone being hacked or getting a virus is very small.
    Jcmg62 and Morty2264 like this.
    01-05-2018 02:00 PM
    As long as a person avoids malicious apps and does not leave their phone laying around for someone to grab and install something on, Android is basically secure. The odds of a person's phone being hacked or getting a virus is very small.
    For sure! You have to intentionally click into something - like those stupid website popups - for a virus or similar issue to crop up.
    Jcmg62 likes this.
    01-05-2018 03:29 PM
    For sure! You have to intentionally click into something - like those stupid website popups - for a virus or similar issue to crop up.
    That's true. In a week of using the platform I've not once felt like I'm putting my personal data at threat. I think it's like any platform...just apply common sense, don't click on links and be careful what you download.

With that said , I do get the sense that the app store is bursting at the seams. It's like a spoilt kids toy cupboard. There's just way more stuff in there than will ever be used. Do Google do regular clean ups? And what is their app onboarding and authentication process like? Do they screen before letting things in?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-05-2018 03:56 PM
    That's true. In a week of using the platform I've not once felt like I'm putting my personal data at threat. I think it's like any platform...just apply common sense, don't click on links and be careful what you download.

With that said , I do get the sense that the app store is bursting at the seams. It's like a spoilt kids toy cupboard. There's just way more stuff in there than will ever be used. Do Google do regular clean ups? And what is their app onboarding and authentication process like? Do they screen before letting things in?
    You are right. There are so many apps! That can be a blessing and a curse!

Hmm, I'm not too sure what their cleanup/authentication processes are like... But perhaps other users here will know!

I tend to only consider downloading an app if it has something like 10,000 or 100,000 downloads. If that many users decided the app was legitimate enough to download, I usually feel safe about doing so.
    Jcmg62 likes this.
    01-05-2018 04:09 PM
    You are right. There are so many apps! That can be a blessing and a curse!

Hmm, I'm not too sure what their cleanup/authentication processes are like... But perhaps other users here will know!

I tend to only consider downloading an app if it has something like 10,000 or 100,000 downloads. If that many users decided the app was legitimate enough to download, I usually feel safe about doing so.
    Usually I check with some friends I know who are developers and also check well known android sites for their recommendations.
    Morty2264 and Jcmg62 like this.
    01-06-2018 03:34 PM
    Usually I check with some friends I know who are developers and also check well known android sites for their recommendations.
    Those are smart rules to live by, as well!
    Jcmg62 likes this.
    01-06-2018 06:10 PM
34 12