My first Android phone... LOVE IT :)

Jcmg62

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
This was a bittersweet purchase.

I'd been on windows phone since 2010 and truly loved the platform, but with Andromeda coming it was blatantly clear that windows phone was dead. It was time to move on. I decided early on that Apple was a non starter. Too expensive. Too pompous. And the hardware sucks.

I've had the 5T for a couple of days now and I have to say I'm absolutely loving this device. It's blazingly fast, the hardware looks and feels premium and the screen quality is just awesome.

I made the effort to read a lot of reviews before ordering the phone and a few people mentioned that the camera wasn't great. What a load of nonsense. The camera is brilliant.

I'm finding Android a bit confusing, but look forward to becoming an active participant in the forums and getting the help I'll need here :)

And for all those windows phone fans who have made the move to Android, as long as you get yourself a decent phone it's a good move, although I'll still be lurking on the windows central forums and will be first in line when that Andromeda Surface Phone arrives ;)

Jcmg62

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
The only issue I'm having is with Outlook. I cannot get that dangnabbit app to sync at all, which is a major problem because my 1600+ contacts are all in the outlook cloud too and they won't sync to the phone.

It's weird because all my other Microsoft apps (Word, Onedrive, One Note, Skype, MS Launcher, etc) have all logged in and syconised first time with no drama......but outlook is proving a nightmare

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! So glad you are loving your OnePlus 5T! The phone is great, and the camera is pretty good - in fact, the phone's specs are excellent; especially considering its price point.

If you ever need any help or have any questions, we at Android Central are here to help! The OnePlus sub-forums are quite active - so feel free to ask questions and to share your views here! :)

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I made the effort to read a lot of reviews before ordering the phone and a few people mentioned that the camera wasn't great. What a load of nonsense. The camera is brilliant.

If you are happy with it, that's great. But the comparisons I have seen definitely bear out the notion that the camera doesn't compare well with the top echelon of phone cameras.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Morty, do you have one of these phones? what's your honest.
opinion of the phone camera? 100% real, please.

I do not own the phone personally, but I have watched reviews from trusted channels; and think the camera is pretty good from what I've seen. Of course, the OP 5T's camera is not on par with the likes of the Pixel 2 line or the Samsung Galaxy S8 - however, for the price and for the specs of the phone, in my opinion, it does quite well.

Jcmg62

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site
Thank you :) I've been on windows central for years and believe a strong community makes and platform that much better. I look forward to chiming in :)

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
This was a bittersweet purchase.

I'd been on windows phone since 2010 and truly loved the platform, but with Andromeda coming it was blatantly clear that windows phone was dead. It was time to move on. I decided early on that Apple was a non starter. Too expensive. Too pompous. And the hardware sucks.

I've had the 5T for a couple of days now and I have to say I'm absolutely loving this device. It's blazingly fast, the hardware looks and feels premium and the screen quality is just awesome.

I'm finding Android a bit confusing, but look forward to becoming an active participant in the forums and getting the help I'll need here :)

And for all those windows phone fans who have made the move to Android, as long as you get yourself a decent phone it's a good move, although I'll still be lurking on the windows central forums and will be first in line when that Andromeda Surface Phone arrives ;)

You make a great point about making sure you find a good phone to switch to. I've seen way too many people over on WC trying Android or switching for good but complaining how bad the experience has been when they were using a budget or mid-range Android phone. It was different on Windows phones because even a low end Lumia would fly because the OS was so smooth and well optimised. While the quality of budget and mid range android phones have certainly came on leaps and bounds recently, they still won't perform as well as a flagship device.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You make a great point about making sure you find a good phone to switch to. I've seen way too many people over on WC trying Android or switching for good but complaining how bad the experience has been when they were using a budget or mid-range Android phone. It was different on Windows phones because even a low end Lumia would fly because the OS was so smooth and well optimised. While the quality of budget and mid range android phones have certainly came on leaps and bounds recently, they still won't perform as well as a flagship device.

Also with lower end windows phones there was the advantage of not having any pesky apps to slow the system down :p

More seriously, I find it odd how many Windows phone users aren't switching and are just buying 3 or 4 950s or x3s and intending to stubbornly stick to their guns. It's BlackBerry all over again.

Jcmg62

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site

Totally. Bottom line, if you buy a £100-150 phone it shouldn't come as a surprise when it turns out to be less than stellar.

I think the OnePlus represents best-in-class value. I got the phone (8GB model), a case, screen protector, earphones and 2 charging units for less than half the price of the iPhone X

My cousin bought an IphoneX last week. Cost a fortune and it keeps freezing on him :-!

I think we'll see a ton of windows phone guys over here in the next few months. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see Daniel Rubino, Zac Bowden and Jason Ward lurking in the android forums. What Microsoft done to us Windows Phone fans just sucked big time. The Lumia 950 was a joke (well, mine was. It constantly needed rebooting). Maybe andromeda will be a fresh start, but personally I think the first few versions of a Windows-on-Arm, cellular connected, folding phone device is going to be highly experimental and very expensive.

Personally I've had enough with being an early adopter fast ring guinea pig and am looking forward to using a finished operating system on a finished phone :p

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Totally. Bottom line, if you buy a £100-150 phone it shouldn't come as a surprise when it turns out to be less than stellar.

I think the OnePlus represents best-in-class value. I got the phone (8GB model), a case, screen protector, earphones and 2 charging units for less than half the price of the iPhone X

My cousin bought an IphoneX last week. Cost a fortune and it keeps freezing on him :-!

I think we'll see a ton of windows phone guys over here in the next few months. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see Daniel Rubino, Zac Bowden and Jason Ward lurking in the android forums. What Microsoft done to us Windows Phone fans just sucked big time. The Lumia 950 was a joke (well, mine was. It constantly needed rebooting). Maybe andromeda will be a fresh start, but personally I think the first few versions of a Windows-on-Arm, cellular connected, folding phone device is going to be highly experimental and very expensive.

Personally I've had enough with being an early adopter fast ring guinea pig and am looking forward to using a finished operating system on a finished phone :p

My L950 was awful too. It kept rebooting, the screen froze when calls came in so I couldn't answer and the battery was horrendous then it fell out my pocket and shattered the screen within the first week. It wasn't meant to be. I gave the 950xl a try a few months later and it was faultless in comparison and the battery was a lot better too. I had that phone right up to September last year before jumping back onto Android. I've had a tonne of Lumia's starting way back with the L800 and jumped over to iPhone and Android constantly along the way. I'm missing having that 3rd option now but like you say hopefully the Andromeda device actually gets a real go and Nadella doesn't give it a half hearted effort and pull the plug again. I doubt I'll get the first version either. Like the Surface line, I'm sure it will take 2 or 3 iterations to get right and hopefully by then the developers will have got on board to solve some of that app issue that's keeping people away

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Also with lower end windows phones there was the advantage of not having any pesky apps to slow the system down :p

More seriously, I find it odd how many Windows phone users aren't switching and are just buying 3 or 4 950s or x3s and intending to stubbornly stick to their guns. It's BlackBerry all over again.

There's stubbornness and there's cutting your nose off to spite your face. I think for many it's the latter. I get that people are hacked off and prefer Windows mobile devices but its like your house has been repossed and the bailiffs keep coming in and removing your furniture and appliances and they're about to disconnect the gas and electricity next. People just need to move on even if it is just til Microsoft regroup and see if they can get a successful mobile device back out there in its place.

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's stubbornness and there's cutting your nose off to spite your face. I think for many it's the latter. I get that people are hacked off and prefer Windows mobile devices but its like your house has been repossed and the bailiffs keep coming in and removing your furniture and appliances and they're about to disconnect the gas and electricity next. People just need to move on even if it is just til Microsoft regroup and see if they can get a successful mobile device back out there in its place.
It is a hard thing to move on for some people. They invest not only their money but themselves in their devices and that attachment becomes palpable. Devotees of an operating system find it hard to let go, don't believe another operating system will meet their needs, to say nothing about the anxiety of learning a new system.

I know how difficult it can be because I drank the kool-aid when I was with BlackBerry. It is only as I migrated from bbos to bb10 to the Priv to the OnePlus 5t that I have had my eyes opened to the potential of Android and to the implementation by OnePlus. It is light years ahead of the Priv for speed. It is highly customizable and I couldn't be more pleased with the bang for the buck of the 5t.

OnePlus has been very responsive in updates to improve camera functions, as well as security updates. And I am excited that Oreo will soon arrive.

OnePlus' Never Settle is a great mission statement for a company that seeks to improve, listens to their customers, and actually admits openly their failures. I think I will enjoy this phone for double my normal cycle of two years. I can easily root it going forward. It is future proof for quite a while, I think.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you :) I've been on windows central for years and believe a strong community makes and platform that much better. I look forward to chiming in :)

Absolutely, a community is super important! Chime in whenever you like, and have fun here! :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It is a hard thing to move on for some people. They invest not only their money but themselves in their devices and that attachment becomes palpable. Devotees of an operating system find it hard to let go, don't believe another operating system will meet their needs, to say nothing about the anxiety of learning a new system.

I know how difficult it can be because I drank the kool-aid when I was with BlackBerry. It is only as I migrated from bbos to bb10 to the Priv to the OnePlus 5t that I have had my eyes opened to the potential of Android and to the implementation by OnePlus. It is light years ahead of the Priv for speed. It is highly customizable and I couldn't be more pleased with the bang for the buck of the 5t.

OnePlus has been very responsive in updates to improve camera functions, as well as security updates. And I am excited that Oreo will soon arrive.

OnePlus' Never Settle is a great mission statement for a company that seeks to improve, listens to their customers, and actually admits openly their failures. I think I will enjoy this phone for double my normal cycle of two years. I can easily root it going forward. It is future proof for quite a while, I think.

Your post was very well-written - I agree with everything you've said.

It's true that some people very often become "accustomed" to a specific OS and it's very hard for them to move on to others. I too was a BlackBerry enthusiast and while I still love it and appreciate the physical keyboard, I do acknowledge Android's superiority on other levels.

The 5T is a superb phone. I think it does a good job of being coined the "flagship killer." Sure, it doesn't have top notch specs if you compare some OP-specific specs to phones like the Note 8; but for the price point and what you're getting at that price point - it can't be beaten.

Also, I've heard that there *may* be a "sandstone" (or some other light-coloured name) OnePlus 5T being released soon. I want it!

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Your post was very well-written - I agree with everything you've said.

It's true that some people very often become "accustomed" to a specific OS and it's very hard for them to move on to others. I too was a BlackBerry enthusiast and while I still love it and appreciate the physical keyboard, I do acknowledge Android's superiority on other levels.

The 5T is a superb phone. I think it does a good job of being coined the "flagship killer." Sure, it doesn't have top notch specs if you compare some OP-specific specs to phones like the Note 8; but for the price point and what you're getting at that price point - it can't be beaten.

Also, I've heard that there *may* be a "sandstone" (or some other light-coloured name) OnePlus 5T being released soon. I want it!
I have the sandstone case on my 5t. Love it. Nice and grippy.

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Cool beans! Hmm, I could always simply buy the case and skip the phone; which will probably be more expensive than the Midnight Black version... Thanks for the idea!!
Lots of rumors flying about concerning the OnePlus 6. A recent video of "What's in the Box" seems to adding to the speculation about the hardware. I am more than happy with my 5t and will not wish I had waited for the 6 to come out. I really am enjoying my "bird in the hand", and do not long for the one in the bush.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Lots of rumors flying about concerning the OnePlus 6. A recent video of "What's in the Box" seems to adding to the speculation about the hardware. I am more than happy with my 5t and will not wish I had waited for the 6 to come out. I really am enjoying my "bird in the hand", and do not long for the one in the bush.

I'm like you - the "what's next" tech interests me but doesn't sway me from what I still want to get; if that makes sense.

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm like you - the "what's next" tech interests me but doesn't sway me from what I still want to get; if that makes sense.
If you keep waiting for the next greatest thing, you will never get what you need now. I know people who fear to purchase now because of rumors of coming devices. They are frozen by choices. In fear of missing out, they never get.

Tech never stands still. It continues to evolve and offer, but even then sometimes the newest thing isn't the best thing. I have always thought it best to do due diligence. Listen to trusted people about what is good and make a choice.