I'm torn between going the budget conscious route of the 5T, still a worthy opponent and what I consider a solid device or splurging on the note 8. I've done my due diligence on both and have been a Samsung loyalist for years but can't justify spending 1k on a phone anymore. I'm aware of the difference as well the picture quality but can't come to decide.

Thoughts?
    01-05-2018 12:24 AM
    Do you want great software, excellent fingerprint scanner location, speedy performance, manageable but still large form factor - go with OnePlus 5t

Or

Great camera, Samsung's skin, S-pen, bigger form factor, terrible fingerprint scanner location - go with Note 8.

I'd say if camera is not 1st priority to you, go with OnePlus 5t! My wife has one and it's the first phone she's ever said she loves . Especially with the red silicone case.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-05-2018 12:48 AM
    If you can't justify the expense for a Note8, then the 5t is the phone for you. Each software update has improved the camera. Battery life is incredible. It lasts all day plus for me an I am a very heavy user.

I can safely say that the 5t is the best phone I have owned to date. Best bang for the buck in the phone market.
    Morty2264, cellomj and Putte Kindh like this.
    01-05-2018 07:32 AM
    If you can't justify the expense for a Note8, then the 5t is the phone for you. Each software update has improved the camera. Battery life is incredible. It lasts all day plus for me an I am a very heavy user.

I can safely say that the 5t is the best phone I have owned to date. Best bang for the buck in the phone market.
    That's what I'm thinking as well, I think it's a great value. Does anyone know if you're able to stream saved videos to a smarttv over Wi-Fi? It's something I commonly do, especially when showing my family videos of my kids when they visit.
    01-05-2018 08:13 AM
    I would recommend the 5T as well, if you are looking to save some money but still get a great product. As the user above me stated, OS updates are fixing the camera at every turn. Plus, it's not as if the camera is "bad," per se - it's just not on par with flagships like the Pixel 2 line and the S8. Still good, though!

I'm like you - I really hesitate to spend $1000 on a phone. I feel like there's way more that $1000 could do for me.

Let us know what you decide!
    01-05-2018 10:15 AM
    That's what I'm thinking as well, I think it's a great value. Does anyone know if you're able to stream saved videos to a smarttv over Wi-Fi? It's something I commonly do, especially when showing my family videos of my kids when they visit.
    I stream video (both local and online) to my chromecast from my 5. It'll also stream to smart TV, I believe it use DLNA... If you use Miracast I *think*it's still supported... I don't have any Miracast devices because Miracast ****s, but I can test it the next time I'm at a friend's who has a fire TV stick which could be anything from the next couple of days to the next few weeks, so if someone's actually got one that would be better lol.
    01-05-2018 01:36 PM
    The biggest things you lose with OP5T: Camera, S Pen and the gorgeous Samsung Display.

If these things are not important for you, the you can get the OP5T.
    01-05-2018 03:10 PM
    thank you all for the feedback. after doing some research I'm considering throwing the pixel 2 into the mix as I can trade in my iPhone SE on the Google site which was a gift from an ex (don't ask) and get the device for about the same as an OP5.

How do you guys protect your OP5's? I noticed that they don't offer a protection plan..

First world problems I guess...
    01-06-2018 12:47 AM
    I protect my phone with a case and a screen protector. Insurance would be a waste of money.

I'm currently using a Karbon bumper case and an Orzly tempered glass screen protector.
    01-06-2018 12:19 PM
    ::drum roll please:: oneplus 5t 128gb 8gb with karbon case. gotta love the student discount! Thank you all for your input! It tremendously helped
    Morty2264 and digitalbreak like this.
    01-06-2018 04:35 PM
    ::drum roll please:: oneplus 5t 128gb 8gb with karbon case. gotta love the student discount! Thank you all for your input! It tremendously helped
    Congratulations! Once you get your phone, if you haven't already, let us know what you think. It is always interesting to see how expectations are realized (or not as the case may be) by actually using the device.

I am easily wowed since I came from the Priv. Not that the Priv was a bad phone. It is just that due to specs and optimization, the 5t is a much better phone. It's not a knock on BlackBerry, just what happens with a two year newer phone with better processor, ram, and being a 64 bit phone.
    Morty2264 and dmateo like this.
    01-08-2018 07:53 AM
    Happy Phone Week! Yes, please let us know how you are liking the phone! Student discounts are great too! I must say that OP does well in that regard.
    01-08-2018 10:02 AM
    phone is delivered! Will provide my initial thoughts after I've had a few days to play with it
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-10-2018 05:45 PM
    My very first thought is that the karbon case feels very plasticky. I wonder if it will scratch the edges of the phone after long term usage...
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-10-2018 07:12 PM
    phone is delivered! Will provide my initial thoughts after I've had a few days to play with it
    Awesome! Happy Phone Day! Thanks for your feedback thus far!
    01-10-2018 07:45 PM