Changing screen for answering calls

mojophone

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
I find the stock interaction for answering a call from a locked phone screen to be counterintuitive. First, the indicators as to which way to slide (up/down) aren't always visible -- they pulse in/out (see screenshot). Second, because the button is at the bottom of the screen, the more natural action is to swipe up, which declines the call. I know I should know by now which way to swipe, but I've hung-up on too many calls by accident!

Is there any way to change the layout/function of the answer screen? I'm not sure why there aren't simply two buttons to accept or deny the call.

Incoming.jpg

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe there's a way to change it in the stock software unfortunately.

I agree that it is completely counterintuitive. Don't know why they changed from swipe right to answer and swipe left to deny.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It does appear pretty different. What I like about my Honor 8 is that you can either hit the "phone buttons" to answer a call; or swipe to answer or decline. I forget that other phones don't necessarily always do this; and so I've missed calls on my mom's S6 Edge because hers is very swipe-oriented.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
There used to be apps on earlier versions of Android like Big Caller ID that puts an overlay over the call answering screen, effectively changing the calling screen. I have no idea if those apps still work now though.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
There used to be apps on earlier versions of Android like Big Caller ID that puts an overlay over the call answering screen, effectively changing the calling screen. I have no idea if those apps still work now though.

That sounds pretty cool. It'd be pretty neat if it they still worked!

mojophone

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
This setting may have been there all along and I just wasn't looking in the right place, but within the Phone app Settings is a switch to reverse the answer/decline motion. Even though I've gotten used to the default state, I switched mine to "swipe up to answer" -- principles. ;)

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
This setting may have been there all along and I just wasn't looking in the right place, but within the Phone app Settings is a switch to reverse the answer/decline motion. Even though I've gotten used to the default state, I switched mine to "swipe up to answer" -- principles. ;)

It wasn't there all along, they added it in a recent update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae