I find the stock interaction for answering a call from a locked phone screen to be counterintuitive. First, the indicators as to which way to slide (up/down) aren't always visible -- they pulse in/out (see screenshot). Second, because the button is at the bottom of the screen, the more natural action is to swipe up, which declines the call. I know I should know by now which way to swipe, but I've hung-up on too many calls by accident!

Is there any way to change the layout/function of the answer screen? I'm not sure why there aren't simply two buttons to accept or deny the call.

Changing screen for answering calls-incoming.jpg
    Maseroche likes this.
    01-13-2018 03:56 PM
    I don't believe there's a way to change it in the stock software unfortunately.

I agree that it is completely counterintuitive. Don't know why they changed from swipe right to answer and swipe left to deny.
    01-13-2018 07:48 PM
    Took me a while to get used to it but, like you guys, I wish I can change it.
    01-14-2018 12:25 AM
    It does appear pretty different. What I like about my Honor 8 is that you can either hit the "phone buttons" to answer a call; or swipe to answer or decline. I forget that other phones don't necessarily always do this; and so I've missed calls on my mom's S6 Edge because hers is very swipe-oriented.
    01-14-2018 01:03 PM
    Open Beta 5 allows one to change the direction in the phone app settings to swipe up or swipe down to answer.
    02-16-2018 12:10 PM
    Open Beta 5 allows one to change the direction in the phone app settings to swipe up or swipe down to answer.
    Hopefully that makes it into a stable release. I've hung up on quite a few people too!
    02-16-2018 05:58 PM
    Hopefully that makes it into a stable release. I've hung up on quite a few people too!
    I'd guess it'll be in the next one. Though having spent months swiping down the problem will probably persist for a while lol.
    02-16-2018 07:04 PM
    There used to be apps on earlier versions of Android like Big Caller ID that puts an overlay over the call answering screen, effectively changing the calling screen. I have no idea if those apps still work now though.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    02-16-2018 07:08 PM
    There used to be apps on earlier versions of Android like Big Caller ID that puts an overlay over the call answering screen, effectively changing the calling screen. I have no idea if those apps still work now though.
    That sounds pretty cool. It'd be pretty neat if it they still worked!
    02-16-2018 08:54 PM
    This setting may have been there all along and I just wasn't looking in the right place, but within the Phone app Settings is a switch to reverse the answer/decline motion. Even though I've gotten used to the default state, I switched mine to "swipe up to answer" -- principles.
    06-05-2018 01:58 PM
    This setting may have been there all along and I just wasn't looking in the right place, but within the Phone app Settings is a switch to reverse the answer/decline motion. Even though I've gotten used to the default state, I switched mine to "swipe up to answer" -- principles.
    It wasn't there all along, they added it in a recent update.
    06-06-2018 10:12 AM