Oneplus 5T vs Pixel 2 XL

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm trying to decide on which phone I want to get in a month, I love my op3 and where oneplus is going with oos (though I'll use rr once oreo comes out) but the pixel 2 xl is tempting. I've seen the problems the display has had though and that's what is really keeping me from just going for it. Any thoughts?

drenfree

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I would get the pixel 2xl. Due to the pure Android experience. I have owned several Samsung Galaxy models, Nexus 6 and various iPhones. This Android doesn't make me miss my iPhone 7 plus. Also I might sound bias but I just don't trust the Chinese phone manufacturers for security concerns.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I too would recommend the 2 XL. If you do happen to get a model that has a particularly bad blue tint, return it and swap it for another one within your return window. Google's two-year (within the States) warranty also makes the more-expensive Pixel an easier phone to invest in.

I too enjoy the 5T and would certainly recommend it - and I've heard returning it is easy if you decide you are dissatisfied with your purchase. However, I've seen the 2 XL in action and I don't think you will be disappointed!

Good luck, and let us know what you decide! :)

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I wish I could say I have used a Pixel 2 XL, but I haven't. What I have used is the smaller Pixel, and I would take the OnePlus 5T over that anyday. The only X factor here would be the camera and how important low light photos are for you, since the Pixel will crush the OnePlus in that regard.

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
The camera doesn't really matter that much to me, I do use the modded gcam on my 3 so if I did get the 5T, I'd probably use it then too. I know that if I went with the pixel 2 xl then I'd miss the alert slider (which I use alot), the face unlock(even though it isn't very secure), and dash charge. But the stereo speakers and first to try out new features(used to be on insider builds on windows 10 mobile) are tempting. I'm not too concerned with security on oneplus as I normally remove the apps like engineer mode from the system and the OS is near stock so no concern there. Idk, I'm having an internal debate over this lol

Last edited:

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Stereo speakers are really nice to have but I have never been able to fully justify them as a real pro. For the most part, if I want to listen to something to enjoy, I use headphones or connect to a bluetooth speaker. Stereo speakers on a phone are kind of like a niche luxury. As for getting first dibs on software though, that is definitely a pro if you do like that. I personally don't, as I've found that I get more bugs and grief with new builds and prefer a refined build. I would like to see security patches happen on a consistent level, however.

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm used to bugs, heck there were times on the insider builds with my Lumia 1520 where it broke some apps. I can't use headphones all the time due to having 2 kids under 4. And the security patches being current is one thing I have yet to see, we are at the end of January and yet I still don't have the January patch even though a new beta was released.

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
That's always my favorite thing about having a Pixel is (mostly) up to date security patches. I then go back to my Galaxy or something and its about 5 months old. One plus is probably better than Samsung at getting those out, however.
Sounds to me like a Pixel 2XL would do you well. The display thing is so overblown it makes me sick. I would definitely give it a shot. And Google has, by far, the easiest and fastest return policy I have found for phones, so its a no brainer to give it a shot and if you can't handle it, send it back.

LPRodgers

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
I have both and they are great. I like oxygenOS better than stock Google (including the launcher) the 5T is a great experience but the camera isn't a Pixel, it's good but it's not the pixels. Other issue for me is lack of VoLTE on ATT with the 5T, the Pixel front speakers with VoLTE is amazing. But overall these two and the samsungs are the best Android phones out right now.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have both as well. I am back to using the o5t was my daily driver and use my pixel 2xl for when I am traveling and going to take a lot of pics. it's the little things that one plus he's right over pixel that made me go back.

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess I am easily satisfied because I chose not to get either Pixel due to what I deem is poor bang for the buck. I can afford any phone, but I like how OnePlus gives tremendous value. The camera is more than adequate, in fact it is the best camera I have ever had on a phone. Now that may be due to my coming from a whole string of BlackBerry devices. Not a high bar to exceed compared to my Priv.

This 5T is incredibly smooth, it is fast and doesn't ever have lag. Couldn't be more satisfied.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
If you are a OP user, you're probably aware of the current mess with their credit card processing - 40K accounts were compromised. I normally would not put that all on them, but given the number of times they are played games with the truth, I wonder.... The issue of fudging performance tests is one thing, but grabbing user data without permission is another much more serious issue. And, it appears that they are doing it again.

Also, the current Pixels have water resistance. The OP doesn't.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally choose the Pixel but I value camera a lot with my phone purchase. I want to have an amazing camera since it is pretty much my only shooter.

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you are a OP user, you're probably aware of the current mess with their credit card processing - 40K accounts were compromised. I normally would not put that all on them, but given the number of times they are played games with the truth, I wonder.... The issue of fudging performance tests is one thing, but grabbing user data without permission is another much more serious issue. And, it appears that they are doing it again.

Also, the current Pixels have water resistance. The OP doesn't.
They are not grabbing user data Kayza. See the link below.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/26/no-oneplus-still-not-sending-clipboard-data-china/

StranR

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
I would choose oneplus5t. Why? Because it is more powerful than pixel. Strong cpu, huge ram super screen (bigger optic AMOLED and with no burning effect, almost bezeless),almost stock Android. The only app pre installed from OnePlus is OnePlus community. Pixel is true that it has better camera although I don't think that could justify it's price

StranR

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
I would choose oneplus5t. Why? Because it is more powerful than pixel. Strong cpu, huge ram super screen (bigger optic AMOLED and with no burning effect, almost bezeless),almost stock Android. The only app pre installed from OnePlus is OnePlus community. Face unlock and fingerprint scanner is from another planet. Pixel is true that it has better camera although I don't think that could justify it's price. Also it has stereo speakers. The question is that these only 2 specs cost 300+euro more#no

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I would choose oneplus5t. Why? Because it is more powerful than pixel. Strong cpu, huge ram super screen (bigger optic AMOLED and with no burning effect, almost bezeless),almost stock Android. The only app pre installed from OnePlus is OnePlus community. Face unlock and fingerprint scanner is from another planet. Pixel is true that it has better camera although I don't think that could justify it's price. Also it has stereo speakers. The question is that these only 2 specs cost 300+euro more#no

While I do agree with you that the 5T is an awesome package and a sweet deal (truly a "flagship killer"), the Pixel 2 line is a bit more expensive also because of things like water and dust resistance; the squeeze to launch Google Assistant; the camera as you've said; and then you have first access to software updates. It also has things that give it a bit of an edge, like the ability to use either AOD or LED notifications. And the 2 XL does have that hefty 3520 mAh battery. GSM Arena gives it an 88 hour rating; whereas the 5T is at 82 hours (still really good!).

You do get a lot for that $300+ difference. Whether or not it is a justifiable price difference is certainly up to the person deciding whether or not to buy the phone. Three hundred dollars is certainly a lot, so it's more than understandable if some people would skip it. I'm personally getting the smaller Pixel 2, and one of the reasons is because I'd be saving some cash by doing so.

Don't get me wrong - I was about to grab a OnePlus 5T a few weeks ago. It's a great phone and I know I would've been happy with it. It's just that there are definitely some things that will set the Pixel 2 line (and specifically, the Pixel 2 XL) apart from the OnePlus 5T. And of course, the 5T has things that the Pixel 2 XL doesn't; such as the alert slider (super cool), double tap to unlock, and other cool stuff. It's all about what features are must-haves for the individual user. :)

StranR

Jan 19, 2018
Visit site
While I do agree with you that the 5T is an awesome package and a sweet deal (truly a "flagship killer"), the Pixel 2 line is a bit more expensive also because of things like water and dust resistance; the squeeze to launch Google Assistant; the camera as you've said; and then you have first access to software updates. It also has things that give it a bit of an edge, like the ability to use either AOD or LED notifications. And the 2 XL does have that hefty 3520 mAh battery. GSM Arena gives it an 88 hour rating; whereas the 5T is at 82 hours (still really good!).

You do get a lot for that $300+ difference. Whether or not it is a justifiable price difference is certainly up to the person deciding whether or not to buy the phone. Three hundred dollars is certainly a lot, so it's more than understandable if some people would skip it. I'm personally getting the smaller Pixel 2, and one of the reasons is because I'd be saving some cash by doing so.

Don't get me wrong - I was about to grab a OnePlus 5T a few weeks ago. It's a great phone and I know I would've been happy with it. It's just that there are definitely some things that will set the Pixel 2 line (and specifically, the Pixel 2 XL) apart from the OnePlus 5T. And of course, the 5T has things that the Pixel 2 XL doesn't; such as the alert slider (super cool), double tap to unlock, and other cool stuff. It's all about what features are must-haves for the individual user. :)

I agree with you. It is all about what someone wants.I don't say that pixel isn't a good phone. I am a stock Android fan, don't get me wrong. It is true that pixel is dust and water resistant but that's a certification. It doesn't mean that OnePlus 5t is not.( Maybe not at the pixel level but it is) You can check youtube. At the end you could use your spare money to buy a good case. The truth is that both phones need a case. Pixel due to glass cover and op5t cause it's slippery. Pixel has a slightly better battery but op5t has better charging times due to Dash charge. The advantage of this type of charging isn't only the fast charge but also the "no heating issues" while charging. Op5t is less chunky as a phone in your hands. As for the updates...I totally agree with you but take into consideration that not all Android updates are so important(redesigning the app launcher etc and not the power management) if someone wants so badly the updates Android one phones is good solution. Another huge factor is the market. For example US market is linked with Google and apple and carriers don't make agreements with other brands (ex. Huawei failed to make an agreement with Verizon for the Mate10pro which is maybe the best Android phone and Im not talking about benchmarks. I don't like it because of EMUI)
It all about what you want. Some people prefer the appearance others prefer photos. As a user I want my phone to run smoothly. You can find numerous reasons to justify your purchase but that doesn't mean that the price is justifiable . Pixel is the leader. But not 300+ better than op5t. I expect more from a 800+ phone because Google is "the mother" of Android and the integration with pixel should be flawless and it is not

Last edited:

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
For the record, the battery on the 5T last longer than the Pixel 2XL based on several usage tests I've seen on YouTube. This is probably due to the lower screen resolution and maybe even better efficiency with its OS?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. It is all about what someone wants.I don't say that pixel isn't a good phone. I am a stock Android fan, don't get me wrong. It is true that pixel is dust and water resistant but that's a certification. It doesn't mean that OnePlus 5t is not.( Maybe not at the pixel level but it is) You can check youtube. At the end you could use your spare money to buy a good case. The truth is that both phones need a case. Pixel due to glass cover and op5t cause it's slippery. Pixel has a slightly better battery but op5t has better charging times due to Dash charge. The advantage of this type of charging isn't only the fast charge but also the "no heating issues" while charging. Op5t is less chunky as a phone in your hands. As for the updates...I totally agree with you but take into consideration that not all Android updates are so important(redesigning the app launcher etc and not the power management) if someone wants so badly the updates Android one phones is good solution. Another huge factor is the market. For example US market is linked with Google and apple and carriers don't make agreements with other brands (ex. Huawei failed to make an agreement with Verizon for the Mate10pro which is maybe the best Android phone and Im not talking about benchmarks. I don't like it because of EMUI)
It all about what you want. Some people prefer the appearance others prefer photos. As a user I want my phone to run smoothly. You can find numerous reasons to justify your purchase but that doesn't mean that the price is justifiable . Pixel is the leader. But not 300+ better than op5t. I expect more from a 800+ phone because Google is "the mother" of Android and the integration with pixel should be flawless and it is not

I totally see what you're saying! Reasons for purchase are subjective and each phone certainly has its merits. But price is price and that is objective - $1000 is a lot to spend on anything, let alone a phone; so I can certainly understand you having high expectations for a stock Android phone and for a phone in general.

I love both the OnePlus 5T and the Pixel 2 XL, don't get me wrong - I considered both for my upgrade. I decided on the smaller Pixel 2 - the size works better for me, I like the look of it, and it won't cost me $1000. 🤣

And yes, I did see some reviews/videos on YouTube that suggest that the 5T does have some level of water resistance - Erica Griffin, a reviewer I trust, said the same thing! So that's pretty cool.

And yes, Dash Charge! I knew there was a cool feature that I was forgetting in my original post! Haha. That is definitely a great features of the OnePlus 5T.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie