How do I download photos from the messaging app?

Bollycats

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
I'm used to seeing a download option on other phones when I want to save a photo in a text message, but the 5T doesn't show that option. I just have a choice to set as wallpaper, homescreen, or contact photo. I want to save it to my photo gallery. I'm using the messaging app that came with the phone, not a 3rd party.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried long-pressing the image? Or once you're viewing it if there's an extra menu there? Or if the app is set to auto-download images, maybe the image is already on your device (which would explain why you don't have a SAVE option)?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And you can't "save to your photo gallery". Gallery is an app, not a place to save things - it shows all pictures saved anywhere on the phone. Good places to save would be DCIM/MMS or Pictures/MMS (you'd have to create the MMS part with a file manager). That way you'll know where the pictures came from. (DCIM stands for Digital Camera IMages., but people use it for other images - DCIM/Camera is where most camera apps save pictures.)

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
And you can't "save to your photo gallery". Gallery is an app, not a place to save things - it shows all pictures saved anywhere on the phone. Good places to save would be DCIM/MMS or Pictures/MMS (you'd have to create the MMS part with a file manager). That way you'll know where the pictures came from. (DCIM stands for Digital Camera IMages., but people use it for other images - DCIM/Camera is where most camera apps save pictures.)

I know the kind of pictures they're talking about... They should be kept In the secure box ;)

Bollycats

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Spookdroid, long pressing doesn't bring up anything. The only menu is the one for saving as a wallpaper, contact, or homescreen. There is also Details, but that's just technical info about the photo.

Rukbat, I am not tech savvy enough to even figure out what you're talking about! On my Lumia 950 (and a friend's Samsung S8) there are icons to download. I don't even have that option on the picture.

Bollycats

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
And as soon as I typed this, I figured it out!! Instead of clicking on the photo to open it up, I long pressed the text itself. (text and photo) I was given options including "save attachment". When I chose that it showed up in my photo gallery!