I have T-Mobile as my carrier. I cannot make a call over WiFi (only if I turn WiFi off and use data). The guy at the OnePlus call center said OnePlus calls can only work over specifically T-Mobile WiFi right now (is this true??)

Also for texts - the standard phone texting does not work well, especially for group messages that send and receive as individual texts. So I am using the Textra app, but lately texts have not been sending or receiving timely; they're usually all delayed or don't send at all. I am on WiFi during all this. Sometimes I'll turn off WiFi and all the texts will come in at once.

Not sure if this is an unlocked phone issue, a OnePlus issue, an iPhone to android texting issue, or what. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really would like to have the basic operations of a phone working.
    04-19-2018 09:22 AM
    I have T-Mobile as my carrier. I cannot make a call over WiFi (only if I turn WiFi off and use data). The guy at the OnePlus call center said OnePlus calls can only work over specifically T-Mobile WiFi right now (is this true??)

Also for texts - the standard phone texting does not work well, especially for group messages that send and receive as individual texts. So I am using the Textra app, but lately texts have not been sending or receiving timely; they're usually all delayed or don't send at all. I am on WiFi during all this. Sometimes I'll turn off WiFi and all the texts will come in at once.

Not sure if this is an unlocked phone issue, a OnePlus issue, an iPhone to android texting issue, or what. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really would like to have the basic operations of a phone working.
    Have you considered it could be a TMobile carrier issue? How strong is your signal when sms issues happen?
    04-20-2018 09:11 AM
    I had the same issue with how the base messaging app handles group texts, so I switched to Textra, too. I haven't had the other issues pertaining to calls/messages not being sent (or timely), though. I'm using Cricket, fwiw.
    04-24-2018 12:21 PM
    I had the same issue with how the base messaging app handles group texts, so I switched to Textra, too. I haven't had the other issues pertaining to calls/messages not being sent (or timely), though. I'm using Cricket, fwiw.
    Me too.
    I just went back to "stock Android" messaging though (Google app), which works fine for this, for my constraints. I'm pretty sure it'll do text-over-WiFi on TMo as well.
    I have to admit though, I've been considering using Textra, because I could text-over-WiFi then, even on AT&T (they don't allow text or voice over LTE/WiFi with non-branded/iOS devices, i.e. pretty much any no-carrier device).
    04-24-2018 08:56 PM
    I'm not sure this of any help, but I just read this article on Android Central: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-m...-good-possible

One of the paragraphs states:

"Of course you'll need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network with internet access to use Wi-Fi calling. Two other things to know is that sometimes (this depends on your area), SMS and MMS won't send if you have Wi-Fi calling enabled, and that you need both phone and carrier support. Most newer Androids support Wi-Fi calling, but unlocked phones might not be able to use it because of carrier restrictions. But that's OK, because there are ways around that and it's next on our list."

This may not directly apply to your situation, but I thought of you when I read it.
    04-26-2018 11:41 AM
    I'm not sure this of any help, but I just read this article on Android Central: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-m...-good-possible

One of the paragraphs states:

"Of course you'll need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network with internet access to use Wi-Fi calling. Two other things to know is that sometimes (this depends on your area), SMS and MMS won't send if you have Wi-Fi calling enabled, and that you need both phone and carrier support. Most newer Androids support Wi-Fi calling, but unlocked phones might not be able to use it because of carrier restrictions. But that's OK, because there are ways around that and it's next on our list."

This may not directly apply to your situation, but I thought of you when I read it.
    Yeah, GoogleVoice (dialer) is my backup, but it's far from perfect.
    The service itself is great. Linkage to your regular number isn't easy, which makes sense, in Google's eyes "data is data", so there's no simple method.

You can spoof your outgoing calls (over GV), to make it look like it's from your mobile number.
    You can also forward your incoming calls, to your GV number, which lets ring-over-WiFi work, mostly.
    This works, in a fixed-location scenario (WiFi only, or really poor signal).

If you're on a decent 3G signal though, but not fast enough to provide good Voice-over-WiFi, then things get weird. You can un-foward your number, or maybe there's a strange dialer app out there, that I haven't found, that auto-switches for you.
    You might be able to do this with a combination of Tasker and/or IFTTT, but wouldn't it be nice if the last hold out carriers would just "let this work"...
    04-26-2018 06:30 PM