The '6 Ingredients' that make the OnePlus 5

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
During the launch presentation, OnePlus noted their key '6 ingredients' that join together to make the OnePlus 5 so special. Below are the ingredients they covered:

1. Design
  2. Camera
  3. Dash Charging
  4. Smooth Experience
  5. OxygenOS
  6. Continuous Improvement
Do you agree with them? Would you have swapped out one thing for another? Do you think they've done a solid job of composing their latest flagship?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I do not agree. 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 are all actually digs against them. The things that OP did right with the 5 are build materials, storage options and ... that might be the end of my list. I do not think it is a bad phone, by any means, but it is leading the industry at nothing and not improving on the things that are some of it's biggest issues (in my opinion, etc, etc):

1) Camera is still apparently way behind the devices it wants to call peers
2) dash charging is cool, but the device still doesn't support USB-PD
3) The obvious iPhone rip-off is not acceptable and they should know this
4) OxygenOS has SO much cool stuff about it, yet is still behind on being properly supported (see OP2) and is not getting security updates with enough regularity to believe they are taking it seriously
5) Over half of US consumers are still left in the cold by this device due to lack of support for Verizon & Sprint
6) 1080p display - I get the sales pitch, just don't agree with it
7) Front facing FPS - this is something I've always disliked (until they find a way to make it invisible and not associated with a navigation button), but I really believe it officially died this year when Samsung finally got rid of their FFPS. Get that button out of there!
8) Devices this year have things about them that make them different. This one doesn't, unless it's the price tag. Price tags do not increase the quality of phones, they increase the value. We need something that differentiates in a way that increases quality.
9) I can't figure out who their target audience is. Do they honestly intend to compete with the S8, G6, etc? Do they think this will compete with this year's iPhone? It seems to me to have more in common, from a design philosophy standpoint, with the Moto Z Play. Is that the target audience?
10) Excess RAM. RAM must be cheap; and in China, it's SUPER important to have as much as you can throw in there - that's a thing people pay attention to in that market. But we have devices that are incredibly smooth with far less - what are we trying to accomplish with more RAM? Is there a real need? Or is this a bandaid for something that should be actually solved, rather than covered up? Hard to know - but it is something that isn't an issue in several other devices, so why is it an issue here? Is it for futureproofing? Why? These phones aren't supported (see OP2).

Obliviously I haven't gotten to use one yet and I may amend this once I get a chance to. There's definitely a market for this thing, it's just not the mainstream flagship market and it's very difficult to determine exactly where they want to fit in, let alone where they actually ought to.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
There is a key 7th ingredient they didn't talk about at all which is required for the success of the 6 ingredients - software updates. I think that is going to shape a lot, especially the camera ingridient now that they have moved a lot of power in the post processing engine.

Ahmedthegeek

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If they had used one better cmaera than two and higher resolution lcd instead of lower resolution amoled lcd and providing proper feedback and software support the one plus was goin to be the most popular phone after s8,Who agrees with me?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If they had used one better cmaera than two and higher resolution lcd instead of lower resolution amoled lcd and providing proper feedback and software support the one plus was goin to be the most popular phone after s8,Who agrees with me?

Definitely disagree. HTC U11, LG G6, LG V30, S8, Pixel 2, Note 8, iPhone 8, Moto Z2 Force + the ones from last year Pixel, iPhone 7+, HTC 10, V20, S7 Edge, Moto Z Force, etc, etc. All better devices. And generally by a lot.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, those are interesting ingredients. I say I agree with them. Some reviewers do say that the camera isn't *as* good as other phones out there now; but it's still pretty good, plus apparently a new update helps improve the camera as well? But I still think the OnePlus 5 is an awesome device that certainly delivers on all six of those aspects.