Is no water resistance a deal breaker for you?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
For a flagship device, was really hoping the OnePlus 5 would come with water resistance. Is this a deal breaker for you, or something you're willing to overlook due to the other big wins in the spec sheet?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
In God only knows how many years (20+?), I have never suffered a water-damaged phone.

So, no, it would not be a huge concern for me. There are far more important things to worry about.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This is a compromise. And I imagine that Apple, Samsung, and LG are sitting back smiling as water resistance continues to be a thing in 2017.

People take their phones everywhere. Some of those places are going to be wet, or have an abundant amount of water. Water resistance affords some the peace of mind that if their device takes a dunk, it should be ok. Whereas the owner of a device that doesn't have it, makes sure it is safely stored/protected until it is no longer at risk of getting wet.

Its important (and a deal breaker) for me because I don't want water or a wet environment to prevent me from taking photos, sending a text or answering a call.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I would like to have it but haven't been an issue for me at all. I used/use a lot of phones without the IPXX rating and they are all just working fine. If I get it for the price, then good. If not, its OK.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Not really a deal breaker for me. I'm normally fairly careful with my devices and they hardly go near water. It's definitely really awesome to have and makes looking after your device that much easier but I'll still buy even if it doesn't have water resistance. 😃

queensoft

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
Unless a phone is designed right form the start to be rugged and water/dust proof, then water resistance is not a problem.
I just assume to NEVER get the phone near any water and that's it :)

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Is it NO water resistance, or not measured to a rated standard.
If it was NONE at all, then we would be undoubtedly hearing about even a drop of rain bricking someone's phone.

It has never been confirmed there isn't ANY standard it could perform at, only seems likely that it doesn't match those devices.

And to be honest more people bashing it should really look up what that rating actually means.

There are more measures besides IP68 and nothing.
There is a measure of 0-6 for dust, and 0-8 for water.
Hence the 68 number - as far as the tested standards went it scored top in both.
But that is under specific conditions, not consistent with how a device might encounter water.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Back when I had the S8 & S8+ I believe I said it is...4 months later my Soft Gold 5 came in today.

Sold both Galaxies after a few months.

IchBinSkyr

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
I've never owned a water resistant phone so I honestly wouldn't call it a deal breaker. I'm cautious enough with my phones around water sources and have never had an issue. It really doesn't seem like a big deal. Even if it were I wouldn't have been going around dunking it in water anyways.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Not a deal breaker, I think ip67/68 is nice but in truth I only really care that I can not worry when it starts raining, I'd never dream of taking in a pool.

The lack of expandable storage (or a 256gb version) remains a bigger deal breaker for me.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
A lack of water resistance is not a deal-breaker for me. I've never had a phone with water resistance; and even if I did, I'd probably still be scared to take it out in a rainstorm. 😜

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03