OnePlus 5 or Samsung S8+

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Just saw that Samsung is offering up to$300 off on the unlocked Galaxy S8, effectively dropping the price to $425.

Given the price drop promo, which would you purchase?

Last edited:

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: Which one: $300 off Galaxy S8 or One plus 5?

If you are into Samsung features like their AOD, Samsung apps, secure folder, camera modes, heart rate and stress sensor, Samsung Themes etc., and want to rock the best screen display you can get on a mobile phone - S8 is a great choice for you my friend :)

On OP5, I won't be able to help you until we get to see it next week!

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

If you care about stutter free, lag free experience then probably OP5 will be the way to go. I was disappointed with my S8+ that it was stuttering/lag here and there occasionally compared to Pixel XL, U 11. Tried to go back to S8+ twice once when it was released and then again when the US unlocked model came out but both times after couple of weeks just wasn't satisfied with software performance in terms of providing buttery smooth UI experience.
If you don't mind occasional stutter, lag then S8 is a great option since it's filled with features.

Last edited:

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

With the S8 $624 I'd go S8. $145 is not enough to sacrifice the screen quality and aftermarket support Samsung has.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

The real question is, how long do you plan on keeping your phone selection? If only a few 6 months to a year then I would probably say the S8 but if you plan on keeping it for at least 2 years I would say go for the OP5 now or wait for the Pixel 2 or dare I say see what the new iPhone 8/Edition has to offer.

Samsung's reputation for smooth performance over the life of the phone isn't great and Erica Griffin did a part 2 of her review and said that the infamous lag reared it's ugly head after only 2 months of use. They also don't have a good track record with updating their unlocked phones on time with most of the carrier variants of the S7 and S7e receiving their updates well before the unlocked models.

Now we know OnePlus screwed the pooch with the OP2 so only time will tell if they'll keep a good track record with updates. That's just my 2¢.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site

I quickly snagged a 8gb/128 OP5 when sales started. A few hours later I found out about the s8 deal. I quickly tried to cancel my OP5 order but it was too late. I will return it or see if they are going for an inflated price once i get it and then flip it for a profit. I had the s8 at launch and exchanged it for a g6 when it dropped to $500 cause it wasnt worth the price differece IMO. But now at $424 the s8 is a steal and i will be keeping it until the iPhone 8 releases. The OP5 seemed like a great deal but after seeing reviews on how they botched the camera again with no hardware OIS and lackluster software OIS, as well as only decent battery life it didnt seem like such a great deal anymore for $539. The s8 for over $100 less is a better buy if only for the camera, screen, sd card, and waterproofing.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

It all boils down to the Design & Features.

A year ago I would pick the OnePlus but Samsung nailed it this year and OnePlus took a step back.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

Oh you guys are making me wants to get S8 Lol. I guess I can always just sell it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I'd say go for the OP5. The Galaxy devices are super cool but the OP brand gives you value for the money and this new iteration looks amazing!

Japser

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site

It completely depends on what you find important in a phone. I prefer the OP5 at any price over the GS8, mainly because I love having the best possible performance, because I hate bloatware and because I dislike curved screens.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

I want oneplus 5 but Samsung s8 deals are too good. Makes phone cheaper than OP5. OP5 is now definitely flagship price tag.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

Oh you guys are making me wants to get S8 Lol. I guess I can always just sell it.
I did. I just ended up going with Huawei P10 Plus.

I'm sure when I get bored of the S8 (sold the S8+) I'll get the OnePlus 5.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site

The S8 has received software updates and fixes since it was released and I'm yet to come across lag on my G950U1. It's running the June 2017 security patch if software update is what matters. The Pixels would be supported for another year (2 years in total) and Samsung is still updating it's almost 2 year S6 models in 2017. So I guess timely software updates or security patches would no longer be an issue for the S8 either. I wouldn't sacrifice a great camera, water resistance, wireless charging, great display, gear vr compatibility (why not) and something I've been really accustomed to...Samsung Pay. The OnePlus 5 might be (wait for the reviews) a great device but the 1080p panel was a let down at least for the price OnePlus is asking. If it were 399 then it would've been a no brainer but with the S8 costing <500 with the trades, it wins by a decent margin.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Which one: $300 off Galaxy S8 or One plus 5?

Damn my OP5 is arriving Friday and I'm kind of getting turned off by all the average to above average reviews (listened to AC podcast now). Not sure if I'll be returning or just selling it sealed without even opening. While at it I ordered the unlocked S8 just now since the offer was too good to pass. Paid $467 after tax and planning to buy some Blu smartphone for around $50 for sending in the trade in phone. So effectively paying $517 compared to $540 which I paid for OP5.

LeKeiser

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

It completely depends on what you find important in a phone. I prefer the OP5 at any price over the GS8, mainly because I love having the best possible performance, because I hate bloatware and because I dislike curved screens.

I'm with you. The OP5 lets you configure it the way you want, it's so close to the Android stock, that... No bloatware, a huge community on the net. The performances are better than the S8 if I read correctly, posts from many users.
I went to get mine yesterday in Paris, and there were so many people, so many fans, like I said, a huge community. Felt good to have this phone.
Oh, I had the first One+ and I still don't know why I dropped it to get an Axon 7. The O+ is still fast, very fast I should say, it flies like the first day I bought it. So now I'm back with Oneplus and this phone ROCKS!!! Can't believe how fast it is! Simple: I install an application, and... it's already done! I mean, no delay like on my other phones, it's blazingly fast!
So much memory, I can switch from apps to apps faster than my eyes can see :O
I'm still discovering this phone, but really, I know that I am already deeply in love with it <3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21