OnePlus 5 Water Test!

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
The fact that is still turns on and responds to touch doesn't mean it's all ok. He didn't fully test the thing. Lets face it. If the phone were really even somewhat water resistant, they WOULD have advertised it. The fact that they don't is telling.

rap1

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Good to know it at least seems to have some resistance although one phone surviving is not the same as thorough testing or any sort of warranty if it gets wet.

marvelaos

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Seeing lots of phones now days being tested for water resistance even though they're not rated, especially on YouTube. Be surprised how well most do.

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
That's right. The question is if the ports and switches will rust with just a bit of clear water for a short period. (Just trying to understand what "some protection" means)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You should treat ANY phone, even those that are water proof or water resistant as if they were NOT! Don't tempt fate! That being said it's certainly good to know the OP5 has SOME protection.
Agree except the wording. There's no such thing as a waterproof phone yet. But your point is valid despite me getting stuck on a word.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's not a selling point of you don't get it certified.
It isn't a selling point if you do get it certified either. The certification is testing something most people will never encounter and doesn't even imply protection against the way people want to use it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The fact that is still turns on and responds to touch doesn't mean it's all ok. He didn't fully test the thing. Lets face it. If the phone were really even somewhat water resistant, they WOULD have advertised it. The fact that they don't is telling.
False. Advertising invites claims if intended usage. They were very clear about why they don't want to advertise.

noea

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I still can't quite understand how no water gets into the phone, like through where you charge the phone or where the audio comes out o_O!

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I still can't quite understand how no water gets into the phone, like through where you charge the phone ...
It probably gets in there but it does not go anywhere else and the port does not get damaged.

Last edited:

aodash

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Wow. A full minute fully submerged - that does inspired confidence as that would be significantly more water contact than I could see myself subjecting it to in just about any situation.

Theo Donacik

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
Even though a person did this, I highly do not recommend you do this, especially because it is not certified. If water proofing is important to you but you want a phone at a similar price as the one plus 5, I recommend getting a galaxy s7 (the price has gone down by now) or if you can, a used galaxy s8

Woody1995

Jul 23, 2017
Visit site
Do you reckon OnePlus will implement IP certification on their next iteration? Because that's what I'm debating whether to either get a Galaxy S8 or a OP5.

lancester28

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I think it's better if the video did a rain stimulation than submerging it to water, 'cause what are the chances of accidentally dropping it to a bucket, yeah? But anyway, if it can withstand this kind of test, then definitely it can survive a rain. Nice , and informative video.

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I think it's better if the video did a rain stimulation than submerging it to water, 'cause what are the chances of accidentally dropping it to a bucket, yeah? ....

To a bucket, probably not very likely, but I have seen a few phones end up in the bath tub, a toilet, etc...

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site

The fact that they don't is only telling that it isn't up to the "standards" set by the current competition most likely, which if you actually look up what they are defined by are well beyond that little "demonstration".
OnePlus is obsessed with number comparison in their advertising, and a lower amount of resistance to water, even if beyond the requirements of perhaps most users is going to look bad simply because it is lower.

The results of that video while certainly not exhaustive, or useful by anyone making comparisons to a rated competitor it useful to me to at least shows a high likelihood of some resistance, and at that beyond my expectations for exposure to water, at occasional rain exposure if absolutely necessary.
If a phone could not stand exposure to rain, then I would have expected it to fail even a brief submergence test, which the OP5 appears to pass.
For my usage scenario that appears fine, but even those higher IP ratings advertised by some do not take into account real scenarios, only controlled conditions in fresh water, a static depth and therefore pressure, and not using the physical buttons.

Even the manufacturers of watches commonly described as water resistant to a given depth advise against using the physical buttons as that can allow water penetration to the their movement.

It should be understood just what a stated resistance with an IP number actually is.
Controlled conditions not representative of what happens during a typical water exposure scenario.

For those with expectations to survive drops in puddles, pool etc a higher rating does encourage confidence, but has a lot more variables involved which that rating does not even attempt to test.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yep, they turn the device off or put it in deep sleep, submerge it in still, room temperature tap water and then take it out, allow it to try and then test functionality. That test has absolutely nothing to do with any real world scenario.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63