09-18-2017 11:03 AM
88 123 ...
tools
    Well, another one on the list of OnePlus 5 quirks. Apparently, the device has a quirk where scrolling creates a "jelly" stretching effect along with some stuttering. OnePlus has come out with a statement saying that this is "natural" and that it can't be fixed with a firmware upgrade and RMAs are not very likely to resolve it.

The issue stems from the display panel itself being installed upside down, possibly to make space for other components like the dual cameras.

Before you join the angry bunch who are returning their devices, should you be worried if you haven't gotten yours yet?

OnePlus claims this phenomenon doesn't affect all devices, so do check to see if yours exhibits the effect. If it's either subtle or you can live with it, that's fine and you should not have any worries.

However, if you are annoyed by the effect, you may have to return the device and wait a while until a proper resolution arrives as RMAs are not likely to resolve it. Let's hope something can be done.
    digitalbreak and rcmeister like this.
    07-01-2017 08:34 AM
    I think this is something that should seriously be examined in future iterations of the 1+. This isn't exactly something that should have made it past QC while testing prototypes. The stuttering can be something that can cause someone to not buy a future product again.
    07-01-2017 08:49 AM
    OnePlus says this is also common in other phones. I would like to know those other phones. I tried on my S8 and don't seem to have this problem.
    07-01-2017 09:36 AM
    OnePlus says this is also common in other phones. I would like to know those other phones. I tried on my S8 and don't seem to have this problem.
    Well, I don't know where and why they said that, but I don't think an upside-down display is common on phones. An inverted camera sensor is more common, but not a display mounted upside-down.
    07-01-2017 10:26 AM
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but I highly suggest that OnePlus fixes themselves and this problem. If you do not provide customers with a quality product with good customer service it's highly unlikely people will return to them for future products if they feel uncared for.
    digitalbreak likes this.
    07-01-2017 11:53 AM
    I have no clue what jelly effect is. Does it affect all op5? I tried and I can't really tell.
    07-01-2017 03:22 PM
    I have no clue what jelly effect is. Does it affect all op5? I tried and I can't really tell.
    From what I gather, it doesn't affect all devices.
    krazyatom and Morty2264 like this.
    07-01-2017 04:19 PM
    From what I gather, it doesn't affect all devices.
    I saw few videos in YouTube and mine doesn't have jelly effect!
    07-01-2017 04:33 PM
    Yea, it only affects few devices. Mine doesn't have it as well.
    07-01-2017 05:14 PM
    I saw few videos in YouTube and mine doesn't have jelly effect!
    It's probably very subtle in your case, probably to the point where you either are able to live with it or can't see it.
    07-01-2017 11:20 PM
    I can kinda see the effect if I scroll slowly on a page with long horizontal lines. but since I normally scroll fast, I really don't see the effect. not a deal breaker for me.
    07-03-2017 12:32 PM
    07-03-2017 06:34 PM
    I wouldn't say it's a direct result of copying the iPhone.

More that it may not have come up while designing the phone and instead of doing a drastic redesign or asking Samsung to manufacture a new line of displays due to cost and time, they simply decided to reverse the display's orientation during installation and then using software to reorient it right-side up.

It seems lazy, but that depends if you can live with it.

If so, then congratulations. You'll probably like the rest of the device. If not, take advantage of the return period and maybe let OnePlus know, no matter how seemingly doubtful they might be.
    07-04-2017 02:57 AM
    Supposedly the screen was put in UPSIDE DOWN! The net is all abuzz over this.
    07-04-2017 12:52 PM
    I wouldn't say it's a direct result of copying the iPhone.

More that it may not have come up while designing the phone and instead of doing a drastic redesign or asking Samsung to manufacture a new line of displays due to cost and time, they simply decided to reverse the display's orientation during installation and then using software to reorient it right-side up.

It seems lazy, but that depends if you can live with it.

If so, then congratulations. You'll probably like the rest of the device. If not, take advantage of the return period and maybe let OnePlus know, no matter how seemingly doubtful they might be.
    As much as I like the device, I am returning mine because of the lazy was of this device. It'll be fixed for the 5t though
    07-04-2017 02:59 PM
    Returning mine too, reluctantly but it there are too many niggles for the price. £100 cheaper and I'd probably persevere but back she goes.
    07-04-2017 03:28 PM
    Here are two videos, one in Twitter app and the other in Reddit app. Please tell me if I am missing something. The scrolling seems fine and I don't see any jelly effect here.

Twitter app: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...NsVjhjM0tzb1JB

Reddit app: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...NSQlJzSjVkWE5B
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-04-2017 11:37 PM
    Here are two videos, one in Twitter app and the other in Reddit app. Please tell me if I am missing something. The scrolling seems fine and I don't see any jelly effect here.

Twitter app: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...NsVjhjM0tzb1JB

Reddit app: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...NSQlJzSjVkWE5B
    I see it, though in your case, it's not as obvious as some of the worst ones I've seen.
    07-05-2017 03:23 AM
    I see it, though in your case, it's not as obvious as some of the worst ones I've seen.
    Tell us, die hard. What do your Elven eyes see?

Maybe mine does have it but I can't tell... I'd rather not pick at the thread unnecessarily...

I've created a closed ended question tree to answer the question posed in the thread title.

QUESTION 1

Can you see it? (By "you" we mean the person using the device.)

No: you should not be worried.

Yes: go to QUESTION 2.

QUESTION 2

Do you care/does it bother you?

No: you should not be worried.

YES!: You should be worried, return the device.

This can actually be extended to almost any quirk of almost any phone... Or anything else.
    07-05-2017 08:22 AM
    Also, it's just occurred to me that maybe it's less noticeable on dark themed apps... That's pretty much all I've tried it with (we hates the light, it burnses us).

It sounds a bit silly at first, but when you consider that it's an AMOLED panel and on a black page most of the screen is actually turned off... Well, it's something I'd like to see someone test.
    07-05-2017 08:36 AM
    Tell us, die hard. What do your Elven eyes see?

Maybe mine does have it but I can't tell... I'd rather not pick at the thread unnecessarily...
    Well, when he scrolled, I can see some compression at the top end. It's not immediately obvious but it did stick out to me after a while.

It's not as bad as I saw on others, but it's there, at least to my eyes.
    07-05-2017 09:24 AM
    Well, when he scrolled, I can see some compression at the top end. It's not immediately obvious but it did stick out to me after a while.

It's not as bad as I saw on others, but it's there, at least to my eyes.
    I am not seeing any kind of such compression at the top. In fact this scrolling is same as I get in my U11 and S8.
    07-05-2017 10:04 AM
    I am discussing this at the XDA forums as well and this is crazy. Before you decide anything, please here me out and correct me if I am wrong.

Normal scrolling behavior. We just scro up and down to the speed and content we are looking/reading at. That's the normal behavior.

In order to see/experience this jelly effect, you have to switch from this normal scrolling behavior and induce the effect by:
    "Keep the finger on the screen and scroll up and down. Never remove the finger from the screen, sometime change the speed. Accelerate and deacceleration your scrolling."

Come on guys, this is ridiculous. If jelly effect is abnormal so is this scrolling behavior. It's like doing something that is uncommon for almost all users and deeming that it's a problem for everyone.

If I have to induce this behavior, sorry, then this is wrong. If it affects my everyday scrolling, I will be furious and it does not.
    fuzzylumpkin and co.ag.2005 like this.
    07-05-2017 10:17 AM
    Ok I just don't see it, and/or am not bother by it on my device! Mine scrolls smooth as silk!
    07-05-2017 10:20 AM
    I can see it on mine and compared to my S8+ it's very noticeable. Started the RMA process but OnePlus is making the RMA incredibly painful. if feels like they are stalling on what would be a simple RMA. They even want a picture of my case before they issues the RMA! If your planning on returning the phone better start early in your 15 days!
    07-05-2017 10:27 AM
88 123 ...