Why a non-expandable memory

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
The oneplus 5 is phenomenal and all but for users who store loads of media, would they really find the device fit?

No. If you need to be able to swap out lots of media, you should get something else.

For better or worse they went with a dual sim slot, which is a good deal for international travelers and people in India. The internal real estate they could have used for an SD card they gave to a second sim.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Because it's really hard to incorporate DIMM or even SODIMM slots into such a small form factor...

Seriously though, it's not really necessary. 64GB is a lot but 128GB is immense! If you need to be constantly hot swapping large capacity media for some reason, use USB flash drives.

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
People also are shifting to cloud storage for much of their media. With that movement, there is less need to include an SD card slot.

And if you don't trust cloud storage, there is always the OTG practice of storing on a thumb drive for later transfer to your computer.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Because it's really hard to incorporate DIMM or even SODIMM slots into such a small form factor...

Seriously though, it's not really necessary. 64GB is a lot but 128GB is immense! If you need to be constantly hot swapping large capacity media for some reason, use USB flash drives.

I wouldn't say it's *immense*, but it is pretty big. I could easily fill 100 GB with my music and PDFs if I wanted.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Chuckle! I don't know what you guys put on your phone, my S8 using 15Gig, and my SD card around the same... 128Gig would be ginormous for me... :)
The main thing I like about the SD card is, when I get a new device, I just put it in and all my pics and music are there.
Not to mention if the phone crashed, I'd just pull the card and not lose much media...

Last edited:

cactuspete23

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Memory size is pretty good. Unless you store your music collection in FLAC or HiRes; or a bunch of movies in 1080P ! But can use OTG for those?

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
The oneplus 5 is phenomenal and all but for users who store loads of media, would they really find the device fit?

I think if you got the 128GB version, that should be more than enough space for everyone's pictures, videos and Apps. The OnePlus 5 isn't for everyone as some really need that 256GB Micro SD card slot but 128GB is quite a large amount of space. We are so lucky to have so much choice these days and you can always pick up another flagship device which does have one :)

There are alternatives like Google Drive if you need some extra storage space for videos and photos. I think you get 15GB of free space.

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Cloud storage is really the way to go. You don't have to worry about backups or losing your media if you lose your device.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Cloud storage is great and yes I know internal is generally faster than an sd card; however, I do value an sd for photos and music and bring able to put most of my music on the phone and also shoot photos and videos on holiday without worrying.

Personally I find the lack of an sd card a drawback with the OP5 and for the same reason dismissed the pixel.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Sure. But the free tier doesn't store your photos at full res. And keeping things cleaned up can be a pain. At 128gb, it would probably be enough for me, but I still think it's a bit disappointing. Not as big a deal as the lack f water proofing, but still.

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
No. If you need to be able to swap out lots of media, you should get something else.

For better or worse they went with a dual sim slot, which is a good deal for international travelers and people in India. The internal real estate they could have used for an SD card they gave to a second sim.

Some phones offer a dual sim, but the ability to substitute a MicroSD in place of the second SIM, one or the other.

Myself, I can't see myself using 128gb, but due to lack of a phone for quite some time now, and not a modern one even then I can't say this from personal experience.
Maybe I am not a typical user in not having huge music or document collections.
Maybe just out of touch when it comes to the usage on a phone, as I am somewhat of a digital hoarder on PC.

Planning on a purchase in the coming months, income permitting.

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Sure. But the free tier doesn't store your photos at full res. And keeping things cleaned up can be a pain. At 128gb, it would probably be enough for me, but I still think it's a bit disappointing. Not as big a deal as the lack f water proofing, but still.

The free tier of Google Photos does store full res, IF you are using a Pixel Phone.
Not if you are aren't.
I can't see me being a big photographer, so that doesn't seem an issue to me that it would to others, but I can honestly see the Pixel therefore for some to be a better choice.

lancester28

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
64gb and 128gb of storage is huge, but the real problem about non removable storage is that when the phone crashes or got destroyed ( maybe fell in something liquid and hot, i dunno) is that files stored in that storage is bye bye

Theo Donacik

Jun 17, 2017
Visit site
Probably because the price is so low that they want people to spend the extra money to get the 128 gig version instead of just buying a 3rd party sd card

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney