Does the OnePlus 5 really compete?

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I am no stranger to Android. My first experience being the HTC EVO 4G (man I loved that phone). I have since had several iterations of Nexus, HTC One M8 and M9. I am a huge fan of Samsung Galaxy S and Note series of phones. But I have never had a OnePlus phone. I tried to get in early on in the line but it was just too difficult to get. And i quickly moved on. That is not to say i lost interest. I always kept an eye focused on what OnePlus was doing. And I often hear a loy of good things. Now with the fast approaching Note 8 soon to hit I am in phone buying mode. But before I pull the trigger on my next phone I usually look around to what is out there before i commit to the latest Note. I skipped the S8 because I was anticipating the Note. HTC's offering just doesn't interest me. Nor does the G6. No offense t the people who love those devices but they werent for me. So here I am. The last contender to the Note for my doe is the OnePlus 5. So I thought I'd drop in here and get the low down from my peeps here in the AC forums because you guys know ya stuff. Thanks guys

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If someone offered to trade me a new note 8 for my Oneplus 5, I'd accept.

Then I'd sell the note 8 unopened, buy a new Oneplus 5 and pocket the extra cash! ... Actually, I probably wouldn't... Seems like effort.

To be honest, it depends what you want... If you want the fastest and most powerful phone, go Oneplus. If you like the "value added" Samsung stuff like the ****tier version of Google now with a hardware key, or a better (not best) camera, the actual best display or the bezel thing or stylus, and can put up with the crappy biometrics, go note.

Last edited:

jon4400

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
If someone offend to trade me a new note 8 for my Oneplus 5, I'd accept.

Then I'd sell the note 8 unopened, buy a new Oneplus 5 and pocket the extra cash! ... Actually, I probably wouldn't... Seems like effort.

To be honest, it depends what you want... If you want the fastest and most powerful phone, go Oneplus. If you like the "value added" Samsung stuff like the ****tier version of Google now with a hardware key, or a better (not best) camera, the actual best display or the bezel thing or stylus, and can put up with the crappy biometrics, go note.

So much salt.

GaboCaVi

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I'd get one just for their RAM options, 6GB is just 2GB less than my Macboook Pro so with the 8GB one I'd be able to put Windows or something...

dkking

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
there are many options for the user now, Oneplus 5 being a solid option itself.
New update brought EIS to 4k! which if done well, should be something

danmerezeanu

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
True. I just read this news here. It is a proof that OnePlus is dedicated to this phone. maybe they rush a little to put on the market but from there they are dedicating all their efforts to improve it. That is good!

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
True. I just read this news here. It is a proof that OnePlus is dedicated to this phone. maybe they rush a little to put on the market but from there they are dedicating all their efforts to improve it. That is good!

Yeah but the way they dropped updates after promising Nougat for the OnePlus 2 was disappointing. I wouldn't trust them

ByteMyAscii

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Yeah but the way they dropped updates after promising Nougat for the OnePlus 2 was disappointing. I wouldn't trust them

If we are going to judge all efforts from a company by their past, then nobody should be getting anything from samsung, given the battery fiasco.
The future is what will determine how much faith you can put in such statements about continued support, which at the moment is very non-committal.
Plans to update the 3 and 3t to Android O is the only commitment I have personally seen stated for the future.

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
The OnePlus 5 isn't comparable to the Note. Completely different price ranges.

I would like a Note but I don't have that kind of money. Maybe I should consider a relaunched Note 7.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The OnePlus 5 isn't comparable to the Note. Completely different price ranges.

I would like a Note but I don't have that kind of money. Maybe I should consider a relaunched Note 7.

You can get the s8 on sale for about the same price as the OnePlus 5 though... If you are interested in a Samsung device.

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Go for the Note 8! I detect a Samsung affinity. By all means go for what you like.

Yea, I have liked Samsung since the SII Epic 4g something, something, something on Sprint. I have had phones from other manufacturers that I enjoyed. But my favorite phones have been either Samsung or Nexus devices. I went Nexus for a good period of time.I had got to a point where I couldn't deal with the "TouchWiz lag". But since the Note 4, which was the first time I used a Samsung device since the SII, I could see they were starting to clean that up and were making a turn to a more cleaner experience. They are still somewhat bloated devices but it doesn't get in your way as much. I admit, as of the last few years i have become a big fan. If you would have talked to me about Sammy maybe 4 years ago the tone would have been very different.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood