08-20-2017 06:04 PM
39 12
tools
    I went with a Moto G5 Plus due to the OnePlus 5 being a little out of my price range.

Everyone talks about what features the OnePlus 5 is missing. I'm more interested in what features the next phone (OnePlus 6 I presume) could do without. I'd like to see it get back down in the $300 range.

First of all, it really only needs 4GB of RAM. I know plentiful RAM is one of their trademark features, but going past 4GB, I just don't think there is any return on that investment.

Next, I'm not sure the dual camera setup is doing that much for it. If you really require that last 3% of camera quality, you are probably going to buy an iPhone, GS8 or G6.

Last on my list, the chip. Wouldn't a snapdragon 630 or 660 satisfy most people?

Any other features that could be trimmed to make this phone more affordable?
    08-01-2017 10:03 PM
    No one would buy that phone, you may have misunderstood what Oneplus phones are about.

They're powerhouses.

I do expect they'll go back to a single camera... This dual camera thing is likely a fad.

Besides the powerhouse thing, the extra RAM doesn't add as much to the cost as you may think, and they haven't had a 4GB phone since the 2 in 2015... By the Oneplus 6 that would be a three year step backwards.

Basically, they'll never hit that low a price... Component prices are rising, and if they did what you want and turned it into a Moto G level budget phone they would lose a large portion of their customer base, me included.
    08-01-2017 10:37 PM
    They tried to de content with the OnePlus 2, that didn't work out. I am not sure what they could trim and stay in line with their high end specs.
    08-01-2017 11:04 PM
    Yeah, the point pint here is that Oneplus defined its' flagships with the same specs as Samsung, LG, HTC and the other big brands but lower price tags. That's why they always had the hype going for it.

Otherwise they are OPPO devices with stock firmware and better supported
    08-01-2017 11:44 PM
    What you describe is going against what OnePlus have actually done for the market, showing that you can get flagship performance without the price.
    All you describe there is making it go back very much to a mid-range phone.

I do expect they'll go back to a single camera... This dual camera thing is likely a fad.
    Dual Cameras aren't a fundamentally a fad, it is just the implementation can vary considerably.
    Personally I would like less focus (pun unintended) on the Bokeh effect, and more about what the second camera can bring elsewhere.
    Other phones are in some cases being praised for their dual cameras, just OnePlus less so.
    Though OnePlus are fixing some stuff on the software side, such as one fix having been released to enable EIS for 4k video.
    08-02-2017 04:54 AM
    Dual back cameras will go away when new sensors allow telefoto, and better quality. just a matter of time,
    08-02-2017 06:41 AM
    Dual back cameras will go away when new sensors allow telefoto, and better quality. just a matter of time,
    Things will always improve for sure. But dual cameras, when done right, can be a significant improvement over a single lens. Of course when not done right, it is kind of a waste
    08-02-2017 10:03 AM
    There are some things it should add like expandable storage and antenna band 13
    08-02-2017 11:13 AM
    There are some things it should add like expandable storage and antenna band 13
    Expandable storage on the Pixel for instance was more debateable, given the free storage google offered pixel users for full resolution photos.
    Though it is far easier to argue I would agree for everything else.
    Dual-Sim is not a reason to not have it, as at least one other phone has the option for substituting the second sim for a micro-sd card.
    Though depending on the needs of the users, losing a second sim might not be acceptable either.
    08-02-2017 12:00 PM
    Expandable storage on the Pixel for instance was more debateable, given the free storage google offered pixel users for full resolution photos.
    Though it is far easier to argue I would agree for everything else.
    Dual-Sim is not a reason to not have it, as at least one other phone has the option for substituting the second sim for a micro-sd card.
    Though depending on the needs of the users, losing a second sim might not be acceptable either.
    The pixel and the Oneplus 5 both support expandable storage...

And I'd say it was arguably more necessary on the Pixel given the lacklustre 32GB on the base model.

And no, I don't think a micro SD slot should come at the sacrifice of the second SIM.
    08-02-2017 12:10 PM

And I'd say it was arguably more necessary on the Pixel given the lacklustre 32GB on the base model.

And no, I don't think a micro SD slot should come at the sacrifice of the second SIM.
    That sacrifice I would have thought was due to lack of physical space, in this sort of form factor.
    Is there a dual-sim phone with separate expandable storage via Micro-SD ?
    There seems to be one or the other rather than both, except for that hybrid method but at the mentioned cost.
    Personally I am not the sort of user who could benefit from dual sims, and so for myself the expandable storage is more appealing initially.
    Though I can't speak for the future, which could again swing it either way.
    08-02-2017 06:38 PM
    I don't get the sound slider switch. It's a big hardware addition that doesn't add much value. The get the physical buttons and switches, the better.
    08-03-2017 09:08 AM

On some phones, you can modify the sd card and sim so that you can use dual sim and sd card.
    08-03-2017 10:09 AM
    I can't use OP5 because I'm on VZW but I'm curious.... does it have an ir blaster?
    08-03-2017 10:45 AM
    On some phones, you can modify the sd card and sim so that you can use dual sim and sd card.
    Performing micro surgery on an SD and SIM card hardly seems like a good option... Or idea.

Besides, i believe the reason SD support isn't included is because they're incredibly slow.

I can't use OP5 because I'm on VZW but I'm curious.... does it have an ir blaster?
    No, it's 2017 lol.
    08-03-2017 11:29 AM
    What you are talking is completely useless why would they use 600 chipsets instead of 800 and use low end items on it to reduce the price like $300 Moto phones if they did this there phones wouldnt sell that much.I agree with ram instead of 8gb they could have 4gb but ram is not exoensive but imstead of dual cameras hey could have one great camera
    08-03-2017 02:45 PM
    Performing micro surgery on an SD and SIM card hardly seems like a good option... Or idea.

Besides, i believe the reason SD support isn't included is because they're incredibly slow.

No, it's 2017 lol.
    The remote for our virgin media tivo box decided to stop functioning in part for some reason.
    We got a replacement sent out, after which the original decided to suddenly behave itself again.
    I can't speak for others, but having two controls suddenly proves very convenient.
    IR blaster offers for some users a lot of convenience, not least with the potential to control more than one device in a far more flexible way than a physical "all-in-one" remote can do.
    08-03-2017 06:50 PM
    The remote for our virgin media tivo box decided to stop functioning in part for some reason.
    We got a replacement sent out, after which the original decided to suddenly behave itself again.
    I can't speak for others, but having two controls suddenly proves very convenient.
    IR blaster offers for some users a lot of convenience, not least with the potential to control more than one device in a far more flexible way than a physical "all-in-one" remote can do.
    That might be true if Logitech Harmony remotes didn't exist.

Phones make pretty **** poor TV remotes, and IR blasters are a very niche feature that not even Samsung thinks is worth wasting space on anymore. Is there a single flagship that does?
    08-03-2017 08:36 PM
    That might be true if Logitech Harmony remotes didn't exist.

Phones make pretty **** poor TV remotes, and IR blasters are a very niche feature that not even Samsung thinks is worth wasting space on anymore. Is there a single flagship that does?
    What is deemed "a waste of space" isn't consistent.
    Take the headphone jack for instance.
    Some flagships are ditching that, some not.

And for reference, here is a list of the devices released in 2017 and 2016 with one.
    (from Wikipedia)

2016 -
    Huawei Honor 8
    Huawei Mate 9[3]
    Huawei Mate 9 Pro
    LG G5
    Ulefone Power
    Ulefone Vienna
    Xiaomi Mi 5
    Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus
    Xiaomi Mi 4s
    Xiaomi Redmi 3s
    Xiaomi Redmi 3s Prime
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 (Snapdragon)
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
    Xiaomi Max
    LeTV le 1s
    Letv le Max
    Huawei P9 Plus
    LeEco Le 2
    LeEco Le 2 Pro
    LeEco Le Max 2
    LeEco Le Pro 3
    Lenovo tab
    LG V20
    ZTE NUBIA Z11
    Samsung J1 Mini

2017 -
    Xiaomi Redmi 4a
    Xiaomi Redmi 4X
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X
    Huawei P10 Plus
    Wiko
    Xiaomi Mi 6
    Huawei Honor 8 Pro
    Huawei Honor 9
    ZTE nubia Z17
    LeEco Le Pro 3 Elite

Arguable what you may or may not define as "flagship", but it isn't' by any means the niche feature you think it is.
    And by the way there is one Samsung device in that list.

And why is a smartphone simply "bad" in your opinion.
    Why are people texting on a smartphone when a physical keyboard is simply "superior".
    08-05-2017 11:29 AM
    What is deemed "a waste of space" isn't consistent.
    Take the headphone jack for instance.
    Some flagships are ditching that, some not.

And for reference, here is a list of the devices released in 2017 and 2016 with one.
    (from Wikipedia)

2016 -
    Huawei Honor 8
    Huawei Mate 9[3]
    Huawei Mate 9 Pro
    LG G5
    Ulefone Power
    Ulefone Vienna
    Xiaomi Mi 5
    Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus
    Xiaomi Mi 4s
    Xiaomi Redmi 3s
    Xiaomi Redmi 3s Prime
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 (Snapdragon)
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
    Xiaomi Max
    LeTV le 1s
    Letv le Max
    Huawei P9 Plus
    LeEco Le 2
    LeEco Le 2 Pro
    LeEco Le Max 2
    LeEco Le Pro 3
    Lenovo tab
    LG V20
    ZTE NUBIA Z11
    Samsung J1 Mini

2017 -
    Xiaomi Redmi 4a
    Xiaomi Redmi 4X
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X
    Huawei P10 Plus
    Xiaomi Mi 6
    Huawei Honor 8 Pro
    Huawei Honor 9
    ZTE nubia Z17
    LeEco Le Pro 3 Elite

Arguable what you may or may not define as "flagship", but it isn't' by any means the niche feature you think it is.
    And by the way there is one Samsung device in that list.

And why is a smartphone simply "bad" in your opinion.
    Why are people texting on a smartphone when a physical keyboard is simply "superior".
    Haha, thanks for that man. You proved my point REALLY well!

Definitions of flagship DO differ, but I can tell you right now that J1 you mention fits NONE of them.

Mine (the correct one) is that it is a companies main top tier device that it wants to push to consumers... The only ones from this year in the list are maybe one of the Xiaomei and one of the Huawei... I don't know their lines well enough to pick out their flagships.

The G5 is... But that's from last year. Where's the G6 on the list? Where's the S8, the Moto Z2, the U11, the Xperia XZ? Is there one on the iPhone? You can't say it's not niche because it's included on a host of niche devices!

Given the amount of Huawei and Xiaomei phones, you could claim it's not niche within China... But that seems tenuous.

Again, thanks. You did a far better job of proving my point than I could have!

As for your last paragraph... What? Really, what are you talking about?
    08-05-2017 12:01 PM
    Haha, thanks for that man. You proved my point REALLY well!

Definitions of flagship DO differ, but I can tell you right now that J1 you mention fits NONE of them.

Mine (the correct one) is that it is a companies main top tier device that it wants to push to consumers... The only ones from this year in the list are maybe one of the Xiaomei and one of the Huawei... I don't know their lines well enough to pick out their flagships.

The G5 is... But that's from last year. Where's the G6 on the list? Where's the S8, the Moto Z2, the U11, the Xperia XZ? Is there one on the iPhone? You can't say it's not niche because it's included on a host of niche devices!

Given the amount of Huawei and Xiaomei phones, you could claim it's not niche within China... But that seems tenuous.

Again, thanks. You did a far better job of proving my point than I could have!

As for your last paragraph... What? Really, what are you talking about?
    I didn't prove your point in any way.
    There are several there flagships for their respective brands, and because they are chinese is irrelevant.
    You said that no flagships made room, something that list proves wrong.

If we use something, and it gets removed we find a way as much as possible to work around it, because we have to.
    Does Not mean the apparent lack of IR blaster appeal is simply a lack of appeal, but can mean that it simply isn't something a user expects any more.
    When the 3.5mm headphone jack becomes rare on phones, will we consider that a niche or unwanted product, or will we simply adjust because we have to.
    It will be the latter.

Only those convenient for your argument, a trend in certain markets does not make a product "niche".
    It just means that they have a certain belief as to what users do or don't need.
    Which if you look at headphone jacks makes that very clear, as that absolutely is something used and wanted by a lot still.
    But they are still being removed anyway, in favour of what we are being told is simply "better" in all respects.
    Which isn't even close to the truth.
    Adapters are available, and even provided in some cases.
    Can't use wired headphones and charge at the same time, without an adapter if that is even supported on the phone.

You can't make an argument dismissing inclusion by flagships, and then changing the rules to then exclude those from certain markets, which are overlapping ours a lot more now than ever before.

And my last paragraph was about you bringing up the harmony remotes, which like any other is still physical buttons.
    A smart phone has a lot going for it in terms of flexibility, that a physical remote cannot offer.
    Look at how many things are expected of a smartphone nowadays, what is is intended to replace.
    08-05-2017 01:34 PM
    I didn't prove your point in any way.
    There are several there flagships for their respective brands, and because they are chinese is irrelevant.
    You said that no flagships made room, something that list proves wrong.

If we use something, and it gets removed we find a way as much as possible to work around it, because we have to.
    Does Not mean the apparent lack of IR blaster appeal is simply a lack of appeal, but can mean that it simply isn't something a user expects any more.
    When the 3.5mm headphone jack becomes rare on phones, will we consider that a niche or unwanted product, or will we simply adjust because we have to.
    It will be the latter.

Only those convenient for your argument, a trend in certain markets does not make a product "niche".
    It just means that they have a certain belief as to what users do or don't need.
    Which if you look at headphone jacks makes that very clear, as that absolutely is something used and wanted by a lot still.
    But they are still being removed anyway, in favour of what we are being told is simply "better" in all respects.
    Which isn't even close to the truth.
    Adapters are available, and even provided in some cases.
    Can't use wired headphones and charge at the same time, without an adapter if that is even supported on the phone.

You can't make an argument dismissing inclusion by flagships, and then changing the rules to then exclude those from certain markets, which are overlapping ours a lot more now than ever before.

And my last paragraph was about you bringing up the harmony remotes, which like any other is still physical buttons.
    A smart phone has a lot going for it in terms of flexibility, that a physical remote cannot offer.
    Look at how many things are expected of a smartphone nowadays, what is is intended to replace.
    First off, I didn't say no flagship made room for them, I ASKED if any did.

Now, I still maintain that those phones are barely relevant... And the list doesn't show the IR blaster as a widespread feature, but as something basically unique to Huawei and Xiaomei phones. A while ago many South Korean phones had TV tuners, doesn't mean it wasn't a niche feature. My argument was never that no one uses an IR blaster but that it was so niche as to border on irrelevant.

Putting aside the fact that that TV remotes and smartphones are different, I know that's strange but bear with me (🐻 GRRR!), and that it is that difference that makes phones bad TV remotes... There are several harmony remotes with touch screens... I always thought they were a bit pointless, but now I see they were created for this argument, thanks Logitech!

And IR blasters aren't comparable with headphone jacks... It's a false equivalency.
    08-05-2017 02:14 PM
    any phone I buy has to have at least 6gb of RAM - this phone is blazing - plus their skin is amazing
    08-05-2017 03:40 PM
    First off, I didn't say no flagship made room for them, I ASKED if any did.

Now, I still maintain that those phones are barely relevant... And the list doesn't show the IR blaster as a widespread feature, but as something basically unique to Huawei and Xiaomei phones. A while ago many South Korean phones had TV tuners, doesn't mean it wasn't a niche feature. My argument was never that no one uses an IR blaster but that it was so niche as to border on irrelevant.

Putting aside the fact that that TV remotes and smartphones are different, I know that's strange but bear with me (������ GRRR!), and that it is that difference that makes phones bad TV remotes... There are several harmony remotes with touch screens... I always thought they were a bit pointless, but now I see they were created for this argument, thanks Logitech!

And IR blasters aren't comparable with headphone jacks... It's a false equivalency.
    Barely relevant because you dont want them to be relevant.
    Some of those were still flagships, which you didn't actually disporve.
    You dismissed them because of their original market instead.

It isn't false equivalency.
    Lack of a feature or reduction in usage of a feature isn't indicative of what you think it is, as headphone jacks prove.
    They are seeing reduced use for the same, reason lack of space.
    I am not saying IR blasters are on the same level of popularity, but to dismiss them because you don't want them was wrong.
    You simply say smartphones are bad as a remote, but refuse to give a reason why.
    Just because you say so.
    In fact even contradicting yourself with listing a common feature.

Simply because another product exists offering some of that functionality, which by that argument you should be dismissing smartphones for a lot of uses, because there are other better dedicated products.
    Cameras for instance.
    08-06-2017 04:43 PM
    Barely relevant because you dont want them to be relevant.
    Some of those were still flagships, which you didn't actually disporve.
    You dismissed them because of their original market instead.

It isn't false equivalency.
    Lack of a feature or reduction in usage of a feature isn't indicative of what you think it is, as headphone jacks prove.
    They are seeing reduced use for the same, reason lack of space.
    I am not saying IR blasters are on the same level of popularity, but to dismiss them because you don't want them was wrong.
    You simply say smartphones are bad as a remote, but refuse to give a reason why.
    Just because you say so.
    In fact even contradicting yourself with listing a common feature.

Simply because another product exists offering some of that functionality, which by that argument you should be dismissing smartphones for a lot of uses, because there are other better dedicated products.
    Cameras for instance.
    It's a false equivalency, IR blaster were removed because of lack of use, while the headphone jack has been replaced, and there's usually an adapter in the box. The fact that you don't think the replacement is as good is irrelevant, it's still a false equivalency.

The main reason smartphones suck as TV remotes comes down to where your eyes are... If you're controlling a TV you should be looking at the TV, not at a control. That's why your argument about physical keyboards was specious, when you're using a phone you're looking at the phone.
    08-07-2017 06:09 AM
39 12