Sudden Battery Issues after months - OnePlus 6

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

I've had my OnePlus 6 since shortly after it launched (4ish months) and up until a week or so ago I was very pleased with battery life; regularly getting through my day with 3-4 hours screen on and ~20% left at bedtime. Fwiw, the "projected battery time" in the battery settings during this time period described was consistently ~20 hours total, which was accurate with my experience with it.

Then, recently, it's been much worse. My usage hasn't changed and I'm seeing 10 hour days with <2 hours screen on time draining the battery entirely (see attached screenshots). I've checked the top battery using apps and am seeing nothing crazy in the background at all (screenshots again for an example).

This honestly seems to fit the pattern that would occur if the battery was damaged or greatly degraded in some way. To that end, I haven't ever changed it with a strange charger or gotten the phone wet or anything else that would feasibly harm internals. This change also didn't come about simultaneously with any software update.

Any thoughts? I've had many many different android phone over the years and, while I've had some phone with awful battery life, I've never seen an unexplained and sudden drop off like this before.

Thanks!

Screenshot_20181030-184930.jpgScreenshot_20181030-185019.jpgScreenshot_20181030-185028.jpg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
~20% left
That's your answer. Lithium batteries are not deep-discharge batteries. When the battery hits 40%, charge it or turn it off. Forger screen on time - the more the screen draws, the less screen on time you'll get. But keep discharging it to 20% (or less) and you can kill it (as in - it won't take a charge, and the phone won't turn on long enough to turn off) in a few months.

Have the battery replaced, then start treating it better. (Charging it to more than 80% shortens the life a little too.)

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That's your answer. Lithium batteries are not deep-discharge batteries. When the battery hits 40%, charge it or turn it off. Forger screen on time - the more the screen draws, the less screen on time you'll get. But keep discharging it to 20% (or less) and you can kill it (as in - it won't take a charge, and the phone won't turn on long enough to turn off) in a few months.

Have the battery replaced, then start treating it better. (Charging it to more than 80% shortens the life a little too.)

That is not the answer. Despite what micro management types like yourself choose to believe, you should NOT see noticeable degradation within 4 months even if the battery is run down to zero every time before being charged.

There's either a problem with the battery itself, an errant app or two draining in the background or a system update has screwed performance up. If that's the case, clearing cache and giving it a couple of days to clear it's head may well fix it.

Could even be something as simple as screen brightness.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

That is not the answer. Despite what micro management types like yourself choose to believe, you should NOT see noticeable degradation within 4 months even if the battery is run down to zero every time before being charged.

There's either a problem with the battery itself, an errant app or two draining in the background or a system update has screwed performance up. If that's the case, clearing cache and giving it a couple of days to clear it's head may well fix it.

Agreed. Has to be an app or an update issue. A factory reset may be needed to purge the issue.

My wife runs her iPhone dead almost daily sometimes twice a day and it takes her about 18 months before she starts having issues. This has happened with her last four phones. I try not to let mine drop below 30 but if I'm out and it does so be it. I have enough battery anxiety as it is and I've never had an issue using it, my battery anxiety is mostly self inflicted.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I know it's not the 20% charging issue as, frankly, that's nuts.

As for whether it could be an errant app was my first thought as well. But none of the apps taking up meaningful battery life (like the Twitter app in the screenshot) show to be running in background for more than a few minutes a day. Is it possible this could still be the culprit somehow?

Ideally, I wouldn't have to factory reset (I thought we'd left that behind years ago as a mandatory Android upkeep routine.) But maybe I'll have to give that a go. I'll try clearing the cache first as an easier measure but something tells me not to be super hopeful.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I got laughed at for suggesting this in another thread (maybe rightly so lol), but I saw the same pattern in the OP5, 5T, and now a bit in the 6, right when a new OP device is being released. Hmmm.

Apple got caught doing this kind of thing. I don't think it's too much of a stretch given some of OP's odd behavior over the years.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I got laughed at for suggesting this in another thread (maybe rightly so lol), but I saw the same pattern in the OP5, 5T, and now a bit in the 6, right when a new OP device is being released. Hmmm.

Apple got caught doing this kind of thing. I don't think it's too much of a stretch given some of OP's odd behavior over the years.

I'm just starting to see degradation in my 5 now after 18 months of HEAVY use.

It's only my anecdotal experience, but there you go.

Last edited:

NYCMetsPDX

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Almost seems like it was an update that did it, mine is now having the same issue. No solution from me (a reboot seems to help for a day or so) but sometimes misery loves co.

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't blame Rukbat for not replying, when you get slapped for trying to help there is no sense saying anything else.
I have used lithium batteries in lots of devices over the years including RC Helicopters & cars, phones, commercial GPSs', flashlights, just to name a few, and have a charging bench dedicated to configuring and servicing them.

I'm gonna back Rukbat up and say if you regularly take Lithium batteries from minimum to maximum you will shorten the life span. How much or soon is according to the frequency.

If you get the chance, note what usage you are getting from 40 to 80% now, and compare it to a new battery from 40 to 80%.

Go ahead and slap or flame me, you don't scare me, I'm married.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey all,

I've had my OnePlus 6 since shortly after it launched (4ish months) and up until a week or so ago I was very pleased with battery life; regularly getting through my day with 3-4 hours screen on and ~20% left at bedtime. Fwiw, the "projected battery time" in the battery settings during this time period described was consistently ~20 hours total, which was accurate with my experience with it.

Then, recently, it's been much worse. My usage hasn't changed and I'm seeing 10 hour days with <2 hours screen on time draining the battery entirely (see attached screenshots). I've checked the top battery using apps and am seeing nothing crazy in the background at all (screenshots again for an example).

This honestly seems to fit the pattern that would occur if the battery was damaged or greatly degraded in some way. To that end, I haven't ever changed it with a strange charger or gotten the phone wet or anything else that would feasibly harm internals. This change also didn't come about simultaneously with any software update.

Any thoughts? I've had many many different android phone over the years and, while I've had some phone with awful battery life, I've never seen an unexplained and sudden drop off like this before.

Thanks!

View attachment 293205View attachment 293206View attachment 293207

Turn off adaptive battery...

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

You said "you should NOT see noticeable degradation within 4 months even if the battery is run down to zero every time before being charged."

Any source providing evidence that it is normal?from what i know, if you zero a battery EVERY TIME before being charged, it's going to damage the cell... Once in a while is okay. But every time?my Fiancee's 5 months old IPX has crappy battery since she thinks the same way as you.

Haley Chris

Nov 25, 2017
Visit site
Always Try not to let your phone discharge below 40 or charge over 80 you can kill a battery in a couple months if you keep doing it all the time