Went to Buy the 6T, and This Feeling Overwhelmed Me...

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
...the feeling I was making the wrong decision. Went to select the 6T model, and then I saw the "buy the OnePlus 6" button. Out of curiousity, I clicked it. Same color, same price, same everything but with a fingerprint sensor I'm used to and a headphone jack. Clicked back on the 6T, looking for every piece of information that would tell me to stop being an ***** and buy the brand new device, not the "old" phone. Only thing I found that meant a lot to me was the extra 400 mah in battery. My head was telling me the 6 was the better device for me no doubt, but my heart didn't let me pass up on the opportunity of getting the absolute latest phone.

Anyone else experience anything similar? Anyone get to my point and actually purchase the 6 month old phone because it fit you better? Honestly, I am not that worried about the headphone jack, as I have sold my soul to bluetooth (and it helps that I am not an audiofile, I mainly just listen to podcasts). So if in the first 15 days I simply cannot take the new fingerprint, I can send it back and just purchase the 6. Just a curious thing that happened to me today.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
...the feeling I was making the wrong decision. Went to select the 6T model, and then I saw the "buy the OnePlus 6" button. Out of curiousity, I clicked it. Same color, same price, same everything but with a fingerprint sensor I'm used to and a headphone jack. Clicked back on the 6T, looking for every piece of information that would tell me to stop being an ***** and buy the brand new device, not the "old" phone. Only thing I found that meant a lot to me was the extra 400 mah in battery. My head was telling me the 6 was the better device for me no doubt, but my heart didn't let me pass up on the opportunity of getting the absolute latest phone.

Anyone else experience anything similar? Anyone get to my point and actually purchase the 6 month old phone because it fit you better? Honestly, I am not that worried about the headphone jack, as I have sold my soul to bluetooth (and it helps that I am not an audiofile, I mainly just listen to podcasts). So if in the first 15 days I simply cannot take the new fingerprint, I can send it back and just purchase the 6. Just a curious thing that happened to me today.
I went and looked at it today. Seems like a great device. And the guys on the Android Police podcast actually liked the fingerprint scanner and those guys bash everything. I think you'll be pleased.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
They definitely sensored me calling myself an i=d=i=o=t. In case anyone was curious what 5 letter word I may have disgraced myself with.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I went back and forth about the Pixel 3 but when I found out that I could finally try a OnePlus on Big Red, it was a no-brainer.

I’m just impatiently waiting on its arrival next week.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I was a little concerned about the new FPS too, but it's actually pretty good.

I think I'm having a tougher adjustment with it being on the front more than anything else. I haven't broken the habit of tapping the back so my lens is always greasy lol. Also, adjusting the angle of how I have my fingerprints recorded helped a lot.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I was a little concerned about the new FPS too, but it's actually pretty good.

I think I'm having a tougher adjustment with it being on the front more than anything else. I haven't broken the habit of tapping the back so my lens is always greasy lol. Also, adjusting the angle of how I have my fingerprints recorded helped a lot.
Good to know. As much as i have loved the fingerprint on the back, i am looking forward to having it on the front. Just hope i can get good enough to know where to place my thumb as it's coming out of my pocket without looking since there will not be any tactile feel. We'll see.

NYCMetsPDX

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
I traded in my 3T at TMobile because of the crazy good trade in deal, but I'm with you, I kept feeling pangs or regret because other than the battery (which was getting a bit shabby) i really liked the 3T and wasn't sold on the 6T fully. Overall though after a couple days I think it's winning me over with the stellar battery life and the fingerprint reader. Sure it's super gimmicky and slower than the one on my 3T (or the 6) but it is indescribably fun.

I say go for the 6T to have the latest and greatest unless the notification LED is a real deal breaker (you already sold your soul to Bluetooth so that's a moot point!)

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Good to know. As much as i have lived the fingerprint on the back, i am looking forward to having it on the front. Just hope i can get good enough to know where to place my thumb as it's coming out of my pocket without looking since there will not be any tactile feel. We'll see.

As soon as the display activates the FPS area lights up so it's easy to see. It's basically in the center about a half an inch from the bottom.

I also noticed (and it could be all in my head) that after you record a new fingerprint lock and use that finger a few times. The system seems to unlock a little faster each try as if it's learning.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I traded in my 3T at TMobile because of the crazy good trade in deal, but I'm with you, I kept feeling pangs or regret because other than the battery (which was getting a bit shabby) i really liked the 3T and wasn't sold on the 6T fully. Overall though after a couple days I think it's winning me over with the stellar battery life and the fingerprint reader. Sure it's super gimmicky and slower than the one on my 3T (or the 6) but it is indescribably fun.

I say go for the 6T to have the latest and greatest unless the notification LED is a real deal breaker (you already sold your soul to Bluetooth so that's a moot point!)
I'm actually not a fan of the led light. I have a smartwatch and the screen will come on when moved (or at least there is a setting to turn that on). I like to check my notifications when I'm ready. My watch will notify me of messages and I'll decide then if I want to respond immediately or not.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
As soon as the display activates the FPS area lights up so it's easy to see. It's basically in the center about a half an inch from the bottom.

I also noticed (and it could be all in my head) that after you record a new fingerprint lock and use that finger a few times. The system seems to unlock a little faster each try as if it's learning.
Do you think you'll get good enough to have the fingerprint unlock the phone as it's coming out of your pocket, or as it's on the way to eye level, or do you think you'll always have to physically look at the where the light is? I don't know if that makes any sense or not...

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Do you think you'll get good enough to have the fingerprint unlock the phone as it's coming out of your pocket, or as it's on the way to eye level, or do you think you'll always have to physically look at the where the light is? I don't know if that makes any sense or not...

Haha I know what you meant. For me, yes, but here's why. I'm an old dude so I'm a little slower at things, but the beauty is I also set up face ID so it will see my ugly mug and unlock if my fat old thumbs are fumbling for the FPS. Face unlock is pretty fast as well.

Since there's no depressed area like the iPhone 8's and earlier, there's nothing to guide your thumb onto when you pull it out of your pocket, but it's located where it should be and unless you have unusually large or small hands, your thumb should end up in the right spot when you are grabbing it.

NYCMetsPDX

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
I'm actually not a fan of the led light. I have a smartwatch and the screen will come on when moved (or at least there is a setting to turn that on). I like to check my notifications when I'm ready. My watch will notify me of messages and I'll decide then if I want to respond immediately or not.

Totally agree with you on that one as I do the same. Not sure if you have any TMobile stores in your area but check out the fingerprint scanner in person. If you're ok with it definitely go for the 6T.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
...when you pull it out of your pocket, but it's located where it should be and unless you have unusually large or small hands, your thumb should end up in the right spot when you are grabbing it.

Maybe. When pulling a phone out of pocket I tend to grab it in the middle (top to bottom) so it's secure in hand and not accidentally fumbled/dropped. But otherwise yea, the FPS is right where you'd put your thump if you're just picking up the phone to use it. Once it's routine and habit you'll probably not even think about it, you'll just do it.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Haha! It’s been tempting me away, as well. I have some reservations about the price of Apple products these days.

Well, my Max is paid for. I just have always wanted to try a OnePlus but being with Verizon, it was a non-starter. Should be a fun trial. What usually sends me running back to iMessage is the video compression when I’m using an Android. The first time my wife sends a vid of our son and it’s all grainy, I usually box up an Android and send it back or sell it.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, my Max is paid for. I just have always wanted to try a OnePlus but being with Verizon, it was a non-starter. Should be a fun trial. What usually sends me running back to iMessage is the video compression when I’m using an Android. The first time my wife sends a vid of our son and it’s all grainy, I usually box up an Android and send it back or sell it.
I know it's not as convenient as iMessage, but just send a Google photo link anytime you want to send or receive full res stuff.