Has the 6/6T Changed Your Charging Habits?

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I've never been one to care too much about taking care of my phone battery. I usually traded in my phone every 12 to 15 months, and my last two phones (Priv and LG G6) both having wireless charging, i found myself just plopping my phone on the charger all night long and even keeping it on my desk wireless charger. I still don't think that charging overnight has severe side effects over time, but I'm sure there are some.

Fast forward to my new 6T. I take it off the charger at 5:30 am and I get home at 6:30 pm with 40% or more battery. I love the phone and knowing how well OnePlus will keep the phone up to date, and that it has the absolute bleeding tech with it, I honestly see this being my first 2+ year phone.

What honestly made me start thinking about this was how amazing Dash charge is. The first night I started to plug my charger in, saw the phone at 30%, and thought, "Why plug my Dash charger in to have it fully charge in an hour then sit on charger for 6 straight hours?"

What i have ended up doing is when I'm getting ready for bed, i top the phone off for a half hour to bring the charge back up to about 70% then take it off the charger. Wake up the next morning at 66-68%, throw it on the charger while i get dressed, then i pick it up to head out the door and it's on 100%. I like this routine because even if it only makes my battery better 5% a year and a half from now, it's worth it because Dash charge is so freaking fast.

Anyone else have charging routines other than just charge all night? Again, nothing at all wrong with that. My wife does it with her pixel stand. Just something I have started doing because of the great battery life and awesome charging tech.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You know, with phones nowadays, charging seems to be so seamless (ha, didn't mean to put that sentence together like that!). And I've always wanted to see what Dash Charge would be like! I'm sure with that kind of technology, topping up your phone instead of leaving it on the charger would be an effective way to go. I'd probably just top it off too and not worry too much about battery.

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes they have. I don't take my charger to work anymore because the phone lasts easily through a 12 hour shift. I'll charge it for short periods of time usually just to get it to about 90% sometimes a full charge. I no longer charge while I sleep either. I charge while I get dressed and it's enough.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
No change, still leave plugged in overnight. But as you mentioned, don't find a need to plug in during the day. It's finally a phone that gets me through a day without battery running low. My previous phone was LG G6 and would have to top off several times during a day.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't plug in at night. I plug it in when I'm getting ready in the morning. 45 mins brings it from the 40-50% mark to full charge before I step out of the house.

Dash charge (or whatever they're calling it now) is better than it has any right to be. Fastest I've seen bar none....

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't plug in at night. I plug it in when I'm getting ready in the morning. 45 mins brings it from the 40-50% mark to full charge before I step out of the house.

Dash charge (or whatever they're calling it now) is better than it has any right to be. Fastest I've seen bar none....
The only negative thing is i had to outfit my house and car with their proprietary chargers. Bought an extra official charger for the office, and a third to keep in my backpack. Bought an official car charger for my truck and a third party off Amazon (Aplus) and keep it in my bag as well. To my surprise the 3rd party dash charges just as well as 1st party.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I still haven't used dash charging. I plug in at bedtime then unplug when it's full and sit it on the nightstand. Then use it all day until bedtime again. I may give that a shot. What has changed how I use my phone is a YouTuber by the name of J. Williams. He's a firm believer in not charging within a 24 hour period and I've been trying that. Haven't made it but if I incorporate the dash charger, I know it should be quite possible.

Last edited:

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I still haven't used dash charging. I plug in a at bedtime then unplug when it's full and did it in the nightstand. Then use it all day until bedtime again. I may give that a shot. What has changed how I use my phone is a YouTuber by the name of J. Williams. He's a firm believer in not charging within a 24 hour period and I've been trying that. Haven't made it but if I incorporate the dash charger, I know it should be quite possible.
Meh, I had my G6 for almost two years. I routinely charged it overnight and well before a full charge was needed. I didn't see any degradation in the battery life.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Meh, I had my G6 for almost two years. I routinely charged it overnight and well before a full charge was needed. I didn't see any degradation in the battery life.

That's awesome! Every individual model is different. I really wanted a G6. What was your favourite feature about it?

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I've never been one to care too much about taking care of my phone battery. I usually traded in my phone every 12 to 15 months, and my last two phones (Priv and LG G6) both having wireless charging, i found myself just plopping my phone on the charger all night long and even keeping it on my desk wireless charger. I still don't think that charging overnight has severe side effects over time, but I'm sure there are some.

Fast forward to my new 6T. I take it off the charger at 5:30 am and I get home at 6:30 pm with 40% or more battery. I love the phone and knowing how well OnePlus will keep the phone up to date, and that it has the absolute bleeding tech with it, I honestly see this being my first 2+ year phone.

What honestly made me start thinking about this was how amazing Dash charge is. The first night I started to plug my charger in, saw the phone at 30%, and thought, "Why plug my Dash charger in to have it fully charge in an hour then sit on charger for 6 straight hours?"

What i have ended up doing is when I'm getting ready for bed, i top the phone off for a half hour to bring the charge back up to about 70% then take it off the charger. Wake up the next morning at 66-68%, throw it on the charger while i get dressed, then i pick it up to head out the door and it's on 100%. I like this routine because even if it only makes my battery better 5% a year and a half from now, it's worth it because Dash charge is so freaking fast.

Anyone else have charging routines other than just charge all night? Again, nothing at all wrong with that. My wife does it with her pixel stand. Just something I have started doing because of the great battery life and awesome charging tech.

I had the G6 and would have to charge it a couple times a day. I'd still only have 30% at the end of the day and would charge it all night. I don't think the battery got worse overtime, I just think I listened to too much streaming radio and the battery drain because of it was significant. I also had pretty strong 'low battery anxiety' from owning several phone models in-a-row with poor battery performance (Moto XPE -> LG G6) that I began putting the phone on the charger any time it got around 50%.

Since purchasing the OP6T, I've realized that I can just charge it at night before I go to bed, and I still have around 30% at the end of the day. That's flat out amazing!

So to answer your question, I've changed my charging habits by not charging my phone so much! :p

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
That's awesome! Every individual model is different. I really wanted a G6. What was your favourite feature about it?
Nothing specific, it was just a good, reliable device. The only issue I ran into was it was 32k and started to get laggy as memory filled up. With 128k the 6T gives me much more room for system and apps storage, even with all my music and photos stored. 6T also much smoother as result of larger cache RAM.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Nothing specific, it was just a good, reliable device. The only issue I ran into was it was 32k and started to get laggy as memory filled up. With 128k the 6T gives me much more room for system and apps storage, even with all my music and photos stored. 6T also much smoother as result of larger cache RAM.
Same thoughts on G6. Was and still is a great Device if battery life held up.

I'm sure the battery on it was a natural degradation, but since it went downhill so much I may just try to take better care of this one. I know there are a lot of factors in it, but it can't hurt and Dash makes it possible.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site

Yep, I agree. The G6 was a fantastic phone. In fact, the only problem I had was battery performance. Everything else about the phone was great.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I've heard that it was a reliable phone! Glad you are enjoying the 6T and that's it's fast and you have enough storage!

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I agree. The G6 was a fantastic phone. In fact, the only problem I had was battery performance. Everything else about the phone was great.
Even after 2 years I didn't notice any real difference in battery. What I seem to perceve was I'm now using more apps that suck up the battery. But base level seemed unchanged. With 6T it's whole different game, easily through a day without recharge.

goadamn

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm coming from a Nexus 6P; a phone with possibly the worst battery ever.
I'm very excited to not have to charge my phone throughout the day

Luna LWL

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site
Not really changed as my last 2 phones had USB-C. Prior to that, I just left them sitting with the cable in at work, home, in the car. Its pretty much limited to either charging at night or in the morning.

I'm coming from a Nexus 6P; a phone with possibly the worst battery ever.
I'm very excited to not have to charge my phone throughout the day

I made the switch from Nexus 5x, then Nexus 6p and just recently to Oneplus 6T. I hardly ever experienced battery drain or running out throughout a day on the 6P. It only happened right after anupdate but was quickly fixed.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So after two weeks, yes it has absolutely changed my charging habits. I used to plug in overnight but most nights I have 30% or more left and it sips only a couple percent in 6-7 hours. I plug it into the dash charger when I get up and when I'm ready to leave for work it's fully charged.

I also used to charge mid afternoon so I could make it through the evening. I don't have to anymore. I don't have to plug in on the way home as I'm often getting home with 50% or better after 10-12 hours off the charger which lasts me into the evening easily.

I love it, the dash charging, huge battery and efficient software make this the best Android device I've owned. I don't have battery anxiety anymore, which has been a thing for years.