Does Apple have single tap to wake patented?

shenfrey

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Don't understand why there's no option for a single tap on this phone, a double tap is easy sure but just don't quite understand why it couldn't be just the one.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Apple patented it - that used to be in Accessibility in Android. Patenting tapping the screen would be about as bad as Apple patenting A. There are probably many launchers or 3rd party apps that can do it. (I use Proximity Service so my screen is never "off", it just blanks out when the proximity detector detects anything (like the desk or the Otterbox holster) - picking the phone up "unblanks" it.

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I've never understood why it hasn't been used either.

I use a flip case so the screen turns on and off when opened or closed.

For times I have the case open and placed on a stand, table, etc, I use my wedding ring to complete the task. I had a magnet put in it. A quick blip over the proximity sensor (it doesn't need to touch it) and I'm good to go.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me, considering they tried to patent the rectangle... But i think the real reason is that it would be a worse user experience overall given the propensity for unintentional wake-ups.

I assume you have to wake the screen to use the in display fingerprint sensor? I swear phone design is going backwards...

I've never understood why it hasn't been used either.

I use a flip case so the screen turns on and off when opened or closed.

For times I have the case open and placed on a stand, table, etc, I use my wedding ring to complete the task. I had a magnet put in it. A quick blip over the proximity sensor (it doesn't need to touch it) and I'm good to go.

Hmm, not exactly Zoe Quinn... But a novel idea nonetheless.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac