What chargers can be safely used with a One Plus 6T?

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I've had to have a phone repaired before due to charging issues. I was using a pixel 2 fast charger on a phone that I believe wasn't specced for fast charging. I assumed using a fast charging brick on a phone not specced for fast charging perhaps could of been the issue? Since then I have been hesitant to use non official chargers on phones. Also as far as I know in a lot of manuals you are asked to only use an official charger.

I was considering trying to find another official charger for my One Plus 6T, though remembered I still have my Pixel 2 charger. Will the Pixel 2 charger be safe to use for the One Plus 6T?

And whilst on this subject I'd be interested to hear from someone that knows more about charging, what do we need to look for when buying chargers to ensure they are safe to use with the phone

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Interested in this answer. I just ordered a 6T and have couple of chargers from my Note 9 and Note 8. I was planning on using them (have one at work), yes?

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I also have some chargers from my Pixel XL. I did ask OnePlus and they told me I could use those chargers and not cause any damage to the phone or battery. They just said it wouldn't fast charge.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Phones and chargers will "talk" to each other to negotiate the proper charging rates and voltages (for those equipped to do so). If that isn't possible, they will default back to standard 5V charging, which is universally safe, and the phone will draw the current as needed.

The reason manufacturers say to only use OEM accessories like chargers and cables is two fold. The big reason is liability. If you are only using their products, they know their quality control and warranties would be fairly hassle free. When using third party accessories, the OEM has no control over their design and quality control. That sets up for a messy he said/she said on who should cover what if damage occurs. For example, if the charging circuit goes bad in the phone when using their charger and cable, there's no question they should cover it. If they find out you were using a third party charger, then they could simply deny the warranty claim and say the charger caused it. The other reason they want you to use their accessories is because they want to make more profits from those sales.

Generally, name brand third party chargers are problem free. I wouldn't trust the dirt cheap no name brands that you find at the dollar store or gas station checkout counters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MOSHE TVITO