Are these apps from one plus or Google?
    - Calculator
    - Recorder (Looks like OP)
    I could not find info on the developer for these apps.

I think "phone" and "contacts" are by Google.
    12-07-2018 04:26 PM
    One easy way to check is to search for the Google versions of those apps in the Play Store, and see if it says "Install" or "Open":

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...apps.messaging
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.deskclock
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oid.calculator

There is no native Recorder app from Google, so that one's definitely from OnePlus (assuming the phone came with it installed).
    12-07-2018 05:28 PM
    I did check and these are not part of playstore. So, the claim that this ships without bloat or it's own version of apps is wrong.
    12-07-2018 05:37 PM
    Are these apps from one plus or Google?
    - Calculator
    - Recorder (Looks like OP)
    I could not find info on the developer for these apps.

I think "phone" and "contacts" are by Google.
    All of the apps you listed are OnePlus apps.
    12-07-2018 06:25 PM
    Bloat typically means apps from 3rd parties (i.e., not the manufacturer and not Google). Stock messaging, clock, and calculator apps are usually based on the AOSP app. If they preinstalled something like Facebook Messenger, and you couldn't uninstall that, I'd consider it bloat.
    ironass and Ryano89 like this.
    12-07-2018 07:26 PM
    Bloat typically means apps from 3rd parties (i.e., not the manufacturer and not Google). Stock messaging, clock, and calculator apps are usually based on the AOSP app. If they preinstalled something like Facebook Messenger, and you couldn't uninstall that, I'd consider it bloat.
    That or duplicate apps, like including an email app alongside Gmail.

It is a bit crazy to claim that a clock or messaging app are bloatware... That's basic functionality.
    Ryano89, ironass and B. Diddy like this.
    12-07-2018 08:09 PM
    Messaging and file manager are definitely bloat as they need lot of permissions to access personal data. Bloat doesn't have to be third party apps. Apps by Samsung, LG or OP is considered bloat as OS is managed by Google.
    12-07-2018 09:21 PM
    A messaging and a file manager app are considered integral parts of any device, so I wouldn't say they're bloat. A device should come with at least some form of those apps -- some manufacturers opt for the Google version, and others come up with a tweaked version of the AOSP app (or sometimes their own version of the app). Any messaging app requires lots of permissions to function normally, and the file manager has to have permissions to access your files, since that's what it's meant for. You can always turn off individual permissions, but then you might run into error messages when it has to utilize one of those permissions.
    12-07-2018 09:39 PM
    Messaging and file manager are definitely bloat as they need lot of permissions to access personal data. Bloat doesn't have to be third party apps. Apps by Samsung, LG or OP is considered bloat as OS is managed by Google.
    Whether or not an app is bloatware has absolutely nothing to do with how many or which permissions it requests. Furthermore, there's nothing Wong with an app requesting permissions it actually needs access to, of course the messaging and file management apps need a lot of access to user data... A messaging app isn't that useful without access to contacts, SMS, pictures for multimedia et al.

The OS is not managed by Google, if you want that you should have bought a pixel. OnePlus phones run Oxygen OS, which is managed by OnePlus.

You were wrong about the phone and contacts apps, they are OnePlus. You apparently think this means they are bloat, but do you really want a phone that can't make calls or send messages?
    ironass and morriea like this.
    12-07-2018 09:42 PM
    It's not about whether I can buy pixel or not. All YouTube videos and articles advertising OnePlus phone as real stock even compared to pixels. Am just saying its not what it is advertised outside. It does have bloat like any other flagships but to a minimum.
    12-08-2018 12:06 AM
    "Real stock" is an illusion. For an Android device to be truly "stock," it would have to come with pure AOSP apps only. No one does that. What they mean is that it doesn't come with random proprietary note-taking apps, or TV remote control apps, or any of that junk.
    mumfoau likes this.
    12-08-2018 12:57 AM