My thoughts on the OnePlus 6T

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I am with Samsung note series since note 2 and never thought a phone outside Spen. I do follow youtube for technology news and Oneplus 6t was one of the rockstars in all of its reviews. Eventhough I want to resist upgrade until note 10 (thought of skipping note 9 as my note 8 been amazing. Got it on release day) I gave in and purchased 6T. Phone is superfast and I could feel the difference compared to my note 8 anddddddd........ that's it. Don't want to discourage anyone here but I thought my review will help fellow switchers. This phone is great and does good with daily chores and battery definitely lasts super long (Consistently 7 hours SOT). I am not able to kill it in a day. The only problem and its a big problem I have with this phone is Camera. Its just 50% as good as note 8. Can't catch moving objects, even when they are moving slowly. Colors are washed out. Taking photos of my kids is very important. I use DSLR for occasions but to capture cute moments, phone should be good. This phone can't do the job with its Camera. If this camera is any good, at least 80% of what Note 8 can do, this will be an amazing phone. I love the performance of this phone, form factor, battery endurance, navigation gestures, customization and everything about it except Camera. All flagships Sony, Samsung, Apple, Google sell their phones advertising what their camera's can do, which I think 6T failed to deliver. I know some of you argue for the price this is what we get, but Oneplus advertises it as if this phone is almost there with the big guys (am talking wrt Camera) which is not. 6T is one awesome phone better than its price (for the current market trend) but dragged by Camera sensors.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Are you talking about the OnePlus 6T Global model that has had 4 updates that include camera and imaging improvements or the T-Mobile variant that was released on the out-of-date, 9.0.0, firmware and received no camera or imaging improvements in its only update so far, apart from a Nightscape mode tweak?

Being of the, "Happy Snapper", breed I would class the camera as adequate for my needs. The Note 10 is predicted to be at least twice the price of the OnePlus 6T and in my country that would be another £500/US$640 and for that I would expect the very best, stand-alone, camera quality.

However, if I was looking for an all-in-one phone and camera at the present time, I might be tempted by the much cheaper Google Pixel 3, (£639/$815), or the Huawei P20 Pro, (£649/$827). (Coincidentally, I am testing a Google camera 6.1 port on my 6T at the moment).

I came across this camera comparison, (in the 2nd half of the video), of the Global OnePlus 6T vs the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and to my, "Happy Snapper", eye, the 6T looks OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PptJQKbDz3w

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I have also always been a Note user. Been using 6T as daily driver for 10 days and I can truly say that I love this phone. My GOD, for the price, this phone is a dream.

The best top tear quality of this phone is smoothness and speed. OOS is really good. The little customization tucked in there is awesome.

My least favorite part of this phone are the on screen finger print sensor and the camera. Why did OnePlus think they need on screen finger print sensor is beyond me. Often time, it is frustrating. They really should have spent that R&D money in putting together a better camera software and left the finger print on the back. This phone would be a killer have they done that.

At the end of the day, this is a great phone. I will continue to use it and considering selling my Note 9. I loved the Note serious but I think I am done paying $1,000+ for a phone. It's simply just too much money.

Last edited:

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Are you talking about the OnePlus 6T Global model that has had 4 updates that include camera and imaging improvements or the T-Mobile variant that was released on the out-of-date, 9.0.0, firmware and received no camera or imaging improvements in its only update so far, apart from a Nightscape mode tweak?

Being of the, "Happy Snapper", breed I would class the camera as adequate for my needs. The Note 10 is predicted to be at least twice the price of the OnePlus 6T and in my country that would be another £500/US$640 and for that I would expect the very best, stand-alone, camera quality.

However, if I was looking for an all-in-one phone and camera at the present time, I might be tempted by the much cheaper Google Pixel 3, (£639/$815), or the Huawei P20 Pro, (£649/$827). (Coincidentally, I am testing a Google camera 6.1 port on my 6T at the moment).

I came across this camera comparison, (in the 2nd half of the video), of the Global OnePlus 6T vs the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and to my, "Happy Snapper", eye, the 6T looks OK.

Do you have a link to the Google camera port you are using?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Last edited:

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site

I am having the T-Mobile variant. Hope as you said once the updates are in, the camera is much better. I hate these carrier control on updates but for the price I got for my old phone as trade-in, I had to go with T-Mobile variant.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I have also always been a Note user. Been using 6T as daily driver for 10 days and I can truly say that I love this phone. My GOD, for the price, this phone is a dream.

The best top tear quality of this phone is smoothness and speed. OOS is really good. The little customization tucked in there is awesome.

My least favorite part of this phone are the on screen finger print sensor and the camera. Why did OnePlus think they need on screen finger print sensor is beyond me. Often time, it is frustrating. They really should have spent that R&D money in putting together a better camera software and left the finger print on the back. This phone would be a killer have they done that.

At the end of the day, this is a great phone. I will continue to use it and considering selling my Note 9. I loved the Note serious but I think I am done paying $1,000+ for a phone. It's simply just too much money.

I like the finger scanner infact love it. It started slow but now its pretty fast and accurate. I always wanted front fps without space usage by button and OP6t delivered it. We have to always pick the phone to unlock when fps is in the back. Now unlock, respond and lock with phone on the table. Works pretty good in my work conditions.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I am having the T-Mobile variant. Hope as you said once the updates are in, the camera is much better. I hate these carrier control on updates but for the price I got for my old phone as trade-in, I had to go with T-Mobile variant.

Thanks srgonu for your post #1.

I had to ask about your model because your experience with the T-Mobile model will not accurately reflect that of the unbranded, worldwide, owners.

I received my global model on the 6th November with the global release firmware of OOS 9.0.2 which immediately updated to OOS 9.0.4 as soon as I signed in.

My experience tells me that T-Mobile model will initially receive updates every 4-6 weeks to roughly keep pace with the Android Security patches and these updates will contain some but not all of the features, enhancements and bug fixes of the global models updates. Hopefully, amongst those will be the ones for camera and imaging.

Tech savvy T-Mobile OnePlus users are busy converting their model to the global version so that they get a cheap phone but with global firmware and all the latest updates. See...

Flashing T-Mobile OnePlus 6T to International OOS ROM

Alternatively, you could test the Google camera mod, mentioned in my previous post.

Last edited:

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The on screen finger print scanner works fairly well enough, no real complaints. Doesn't seems to work as too well when outside in cold weather. But face unlock makes all the difference.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I'm really missing my pixel 2XL camera. I tried the pixel cam apk but it's not the same. Everything else on the 6t is fantastic!

I'm really torn. Camera may be a deal breaker for me.....

I'm in the same boat. My primary phone is the Note 9. I wanted a backup and decided to go with the Pixel 2 XL off swappa over the OP6T. My curiosity got the best of me and I ordered a OP6T too. I'm taking advantage of the 15 day return window to truly test and compare the two phones. The camera on the OP6T isn't bad, but it's clearly not it's strength either. I'm having a hard time deciding which overall package I'm gonna stick with. Like you, I don't find the g cam apk closing the camera quality gap as much as I had hoped it would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty