To "T", or not to "T"?

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
For those of you who are OP loyalists and like to upgrade regularly (~annually), do you prefer to cycle on the new numbers, or the T versions that release later in the year? Just curious if there's any rhyme or reason to stick to one release or the other.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
This is my first OP device, but the way I think I understand it is that the next number up is usually a significant update (internally as well as externally) and the T is usually a minor upgrade. Usually slightly beefed up internals or more ram. the 6T, not withstanding. :)

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Personally I've always gone with the non-T mostly as it generally has more interesting changes such as the newest chipset.

I didn't like the 6 though (or the 5T) so decided to wait for the 6T... Which I like even less than the 6 lol.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
See, as I sit here continuing to contemplate keeping/returning my 6T over the Pixel 2 XL I already have, I'm convincing myself that I can just wait for the 7. Being exposed to OOS for the first time, and that in screen FPS, I want to have an OP device. Returning the 6T in favor of my Pixel 2 XL seems like an easier decision if I look forward to picking up the 7 in April/May lol

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
See, as I sit here continuing to contemplate keeping/returning my 6T over the Pixel 2 XL I already have, I'm convincing myself that I can just wait for the 7. Being exposed to OOS for the first time, and that in screen FPS, I want to have an OP device. Returning the 6T in favor of my Pixel 2 XL seems like an easier decision if I look forward to picking up the 7 in April/May lol
I just went from the pixel 2 to the 6T and I have no regrets. The only thing that isn't as good is the camera but it's not bad by any means and the more I use it the better I get with it. In my humble opinion everything else about the 6T is an upgrade. The software is so much better thought out and the customization options really let you taylor the experience to your liking with things that Google just doesn't do or has no option for.

That said, if you already have the P2XL, like it and aren't having any issues with it I can't blame you for sticking with it for another six months.

wizard19999

Oct 20, 2018
Visit site
It depends , this year I preferred not to T because of slow fingerprint scanner and no headphone jack..In all the other years and the years to come T will be the one with better features thean the non T version.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
If you are a person who upgrades yearly, probably should time your purchase to align with the yearly T cycle. Why would anyone do it otherwise? ;)

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
When will the next phone be released? I'm currently still rocking my Nexus 6P. I've replaced the battery and just replaced the rear camera, so I can wait a while to upgrade.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
When will the next phone be released? I'm currently still rocking my Nexus 6P. I've replaced the battery and just replaced the rear camera, so I can wait a while to upgrade.
Had the Nexus 6P for a year when it was released. If you wait and upgrade to OnePlus 7, that would be one crazy jump.

"The OnePlus 7 will probably land sometime in the middle of 2019. The OnePlus 6 was announced in May 2018, so May 2019 is a possibility for the OnePlus 7, though we got the OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 3 in June of their respective years, so June 2019 is also a possible launch period."

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
If you need the latest version, your better off going with the T series and upgrading every release. As opposed to getting the non T and debating to upgrade or not.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If you need the latest version, your better off going with the T series and upgrading every release. As opposed to getting the non T and debating to upgrade or not.

That doesn't really make sense, why wouldn't you consider the non T when it comes around if you'd consider the T? It's still a brew model every 6 months.

I say go for the non T version, that way you're not using older silicon.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Non T for sure. That on screen finger print scanner is pain. Its painfully slow. When it it actually reads your finger.
Yeah it can be but the face unlock works so well between the two I don't have much issue. I also think the rest of the device is a touch better to when you consider the extra storage in the base model, the better notch design and the increase in battery size. Heck the battery size alone is worth it to me.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
For those of you who are OP loyalists and like to upgrade regularly (~annually), do you prefer to cycle on the new numbers, or the T versions that release later in the year? Just curious if there's any rhyme or reason to stick to one release or the other.

I for someone who has bought both.i would say the T is better overall but i just hated the fact that it didnt have LED at all.yeah yeah i know the brochure says no led.but hey even my Asus Max Pro M2 had this very small LED at the corner of the speaker grill.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My daily driver is the OP6 8gb 128rom. I love it. I bought my wife the 6t on launch day because she would kill her battery everyday on her Pixel XL before dark and be looking for a charger. the 6t battery is amazing! Now bedtime the 6t is between 30 and 50% and I have seen here go 2 complete days with no charging. I am envious of her battery life but I would miss my notification led. Both the 6 and 6t cameras are great. One Plus is going to have to do something amazing before I upgrade. The Op6 is a rock solid phone and stands up to anything out there if your not splitting hairs. IMHO

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Using my first OP phone - regular 6! So far I love it. A couple of 3rd party apps and my NAV bar is black all the time and my volume button adjusts the ringtone 1st. YAY The main reason(s) I went with the 6 over the 6T is headphone jack, and LED notification light. Sure I wish it had a battery as large as the one in my Huawei Mate 10 (non-pro) which is 4000 mAh, but now after a couple of days of settling in the battery on the 6 easily lasts me 2 full days. One more reason I went with the 6 is the lower price I was able to get now that the 6T is out. Besides, I got the 8 GB ram with the 256 GB storage. This phone should easily last me a few years. Not to mention...I've read some not-so-good reports about the 6T fingerprint sensor being slow and finicky...so I think I made the right choice. YMMV

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Using my first OP phone - regular 6! So far I love it. A couple of 3rd party apps and my NAV bar is black all the time and my volume button adjusts the ringtone 1st. YAY The main reason(s) I went with the 6 over the 6T is headphone jack, and LED notification light. Sure I wish it had a battery as large as the one in my Huawei Mate 10 (non-pro) which is 4000 mAh, but now after a couple of days of settling in the battery on the 6 easily lasts me 2 full days. One more reason I went with the 6 is the lower price I was able to get now that the 6T is out. Besides, I got the 8 GB ram with the 256 GB storage. This phone should easily last me a few years. Not to mention...I've read some not-so-good reports about the 6T fingerprint sensor being slow and finicky...so I think I made the right choice. YMMV
Yeah my fingerprint scanner on my 6T is basically useless most of the time right now. I've just been using face unlock and trusted devices. That's probably the only thing I hate about the 6T. I love everything else.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I was more curious about people's upgrading patterns with OnePlus, not so much comparing the 6 to the 6T. Theoretically, the T version will always be an "upgraded" version of the earlier release, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's the model people choose to upgrade to if they upgrade annually. I'm leaning towards staying on the "T cycle" just because it's usually released in season with other top flagships (Note, Pixel, iPhone, etc), and would be more competitive specs-wise with those devices. That's just my opinion though!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance