So I've had the OnePlus 6t TMobile variant about 2 months now and haven't gotten a single update. Still on January security patch. Meanwhile the oxygen OS international variant has gotten 2 minor updates and I believe is on the May or April patch. I'm thinking of switching mines to the international ROM for updates. How is the software for those on it. Just really wanted to get everyone's thoughts. Because eventually I'll have to return it to the TMobile ROM when it's time to upgrade.
    05-15-2019 12:30 PM
    For TMobile it shouldn't make much difference, since they both cover 4G bands 2, 4, 5 and 66.

However, make sure you check the warranty before buying. Many international phones are sold with local-only warranties, so one made to sell in, say, India, wouldn't be covered n the US. And make sure it comes in English, not in Hindi or Chinese.

(I don't get the part about returning the ROM, because if you Put the TMobile ROM in the international version, it's still a different model, and TMobile probably won't accept it, if that's what you're planning.)
    05-15-2019 12:42 PM
    For TMobile it shouldn't make much difference, since they both cover 4G bands 2, 4, 5 and 66.

However, make sure you check the warranty before buying. Many international phones are sold with local-only warranties, so one made to sell in, say, India, wouldn't be covered n the US. And make sure it comes in English, not in Hindi or Chinese.

(I don't get the part about returning the ROM, because if you Put the TMobile ROM in the international version, it's still a different model, and TMobile probably won't accept it, if that's what you're planning.)
    No I don't mean returning the ROM. I mean eventually I'll upgrade. May do it before I finish paying off the 6t. In that case I'd have to trade it in and return it to the Stock TMobile ROM. But then again maybe I'll keep it when that time comes. Kept my Galaxy S8 when I upgraded to this
    05-15-2019 01:26 PM
    So I've had the OnePlus 6t TMobile variant about 2 months now and haven't gotten a single update. Still on January security patch. Meanwhile the oxygen OS international variant has gotten 2 minor updates and I believe is on the May or April patch. I'm thinking of switching mines to the international ROM for updates. How is the software for those on it. Just really wanted to get everyone's thoughts. Because eventually I'll have to return it to the TMobile ROM when it's time to upgrade.
    I am afraid that ever was it going to be thus with the T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant and its ersatz carrier firmware that is controlled by TMO.

Fortunately, for the TMO users, there is a way to convert the phone to the global model...

T-Mobile 6T to Global model Conversion (WITHOUT unlocked bootloader/SIM unlock!)

Conversion could in theory void your warranty unless you revert back to stock TMO firmware by using...

T-Mobile OnePlus 6T MSMDownloadTool [Firmware 9.0 v1 & v2]

You will also lose a few features such as launcher shelf and TMO's own proprietory RCS messaging which doesn't work too well outside of TMO's network.

On the plus side... the global model has received 8 stock, stable OxygenOS updates since launch and is currently on Android security patch for March as well as 10 Open Beta updates with a May security patch and the ability to have a look-see at Android Q's Developer preview, (not a daily driver).

Also, you have the ability to join the Open Beta programme, flash stock firmware via Local upgrade on the phone. The global firmware also comes with a whole host of features not available to the TMO variant such as.. OnePlus Laboratory with Smart Boost, Quick Launch, Navigation gestures and dual SIM ability, a camera that is now on version 3.0.37 as compared to the TMO camera still on 2.9.43, to mention just a few.
    05-15-2019 02:14 PM
    On second look, the "international" version is Europe and North America, so the one you have is the "international" version. Maybe with TMobile bloat, but it should still be the same phone. The problem may be that because TMobile has made modifications, you only get updates from them, not from OnePlus, (According to https://forums.androidcentral.com/on...ity-patch.html, the E/NA version is up to the 1 May 2019 update. Changing ROMs won't change the IMEI, so the update situation won't change.

The official 9.0.13 (April) is at https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=Vwu6rTi7. OnePlus gives instructions for using that to update.

Oh, ignore this - you did all the research.

As far as the Q beta, there are still a lot of apps that won't run on it. I was on it for a few versions, but after the 3rd one, I went back to Pie. Just too many apps that I use that weren't working right yet. (And I don't blame the developers - rewrite during beta, something gets changed and you have to rewrite again. Once Q has been out officially, I'll start asking for fixes. And since the phone is rooted, and I do the updates myself [it's a Pixel, so both the update and the full factory ROM are published every month], I can decide when enough apps have been fixed so that I can update. [The update won't install, even if it's forced OTA, because of the rooting.]) But OP seems to be doing the same as Google - publishing the updates. So as long as you have an "official TMobile" ROM to flash, there's no reason to not convert. I'd save an apk of their text app, so I could install it after converting, but you can always flash back as long as the phone can talk to the PC. (And if what I suspect is true, even if it loses the ability to see the PC, and you're stuck in the bootloader [which is basically hard-bricked], just holding the power button down until the phone vibrates will fix that.)

And check https://www.xda-developers.com/downl...ort-oneplus-6/ for a OnePlus 6 port of the Pixel 3 camera. No Visual Core processing, but the rest of it's still pretty nice.
    ironass likes this.
    05-15-2019 02:18 PM
    The global version I think is better choice, dual sim and faster updates
    05-15-2019 06:16 PM