Open Beta 25 & 17 for Oneplus 6 & 6T... prelude to Android 10

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
"This build is meant to prepare your devices for the Android 10 Update which will be released later this month."
Source

OnePlus have just started the Open Beta 25 & 17 OTA roll out for the OnePlus 6 & 6T to test new features and fixes that may or may not, come to future firmware updates. You will only receive this test firmware OTA if you are already on their Open Beta releases.

LsDcJEel.jpg

Android Security patch is August 2019

Camera version is still 3.0.43

This is the 17th Open Beta release for the 6T in 246 days = 1 update, on average, every 14 days.

(N.B. Open Beta is NOT available for the T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant firmware)

Last edited:

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: [*NEW*] Open Beta 25 & 17 for Oneplus 6 & 6T... a prelude to Android 10?

I thought about switching back to beta since this is in preparation for an Android 10 beta presumably but then I remembered that I'm in a TMobile converted phone and so far none of developer previews have worked on converted devices. I always wondered how long it would take for the conversion to catch up with me. I'm suspecting that time will come when Android 10 gets pushed officially for the 6t, I have a feeling that I will not be able to to flash Android 10 in this device unless I convert it back to TMobile software and wait for them

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: [*NEW*] Open Beta 25 & 17 for Oneplus 6 & 6T... a prelude to Android 10?

I thought about switching back to beta since this is in preparation for an Android 10 beta presumably but then I remembered that I'm in a TMobile converted phone and so far none of developer previews have worked on converted devices. I always wondered how long it would take for the conversion to catch up with me. I'm suspecting that time will come when Android 10 gets pushed officially for the 6t, I have a feeling that I will not be able to to flash Android 10 in this device unless I convert it back to TMobile software and wait for them

I see what you are getting at Ryano89

Whilst the Open Beta update in post #1 is safe for converted T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant users to install, (see, here), the actual Android 10 release for the global model will probably come with an updated bootloader, etc; which could cause issues for those on TMO bootloaders that has been seen on the Developer Preview releases, whether they are locked or unlocked.

I do anticipate that if this is the case, as you surmise, that you may have to revert back to the TMO firmware for Android Pie before upgrading to the TMO Android 10 stable version, whenever they release it, to obtain the new bootloader and by then the guys over on xda developers will have a similar conversion in place for Android 10 TMO to global model that they had for Pie.

Alternatively, a way may be found to update the converted TMO models from global Pie to global Android 10 at one fell swoop. Which would be a result indeed.

I am afraid that only time will tell as the full Android 10 Open Beta test firmware update is due this month for the global model and we will all know more after that.

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: [*NEW*] Open Beta 25 & 17 for Oneplus 6 & 6T... a prelude to Android 10

I'm new to rooting and doing all this. I switched my TMobile 6T with the conversation XDA option and am curious why by possibly updating with new Android 10 beta that will be coming, it could what sounds like brick my phone. Just curious and wondering why this would be an issue.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: [*NEW*] Open Beta 25 & 17 for Oneplus 6 & 6T... a prelude to Android 10

I'm new to rooting and doing all this. I switched my TMobile 6T with the conversation XDA option and am curious why by possibly updating with new Android 10 beta that will be coming, it could what sounds like brick my phone. Just curious and wondering why this would be an issue.

The issue appears to occur when a global firmware update includes a new bootloader as well may be the case in the upcoming global Android 10 release. This is of course not a problem for global models but the T-Mobile (USA) model was released with their own carrier mega locked down bootloader which your conversion by-passed.

The theory is that if Android 10 requires a new bootloader, as appears to be the case, your existing Android 9, Pie, bootloader will need to be updated which may mean flashing back to T-Mobile stock firmware for their eventual Android 10 update, to acquire it.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE