Impressions OP6?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Now that we know what the one plus 6 will be and how much it'll cost, what do you guys think about it?

Personally, I liked everything other than no wireless charging (probably saving for 6T) and also no midnight color option for 256 GB. Also, little disappointed on still one down firing speaker, they could have used the top earpiece for stereo speaker set up like many phones now.

Was thinking of going for the 8/256 model but I do like the midnight color do might have to settle with 8/128 GB model.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I am getting it. I have every op device since the 3t.

The only thing I am disappointed in is they should have bumped up the battery a little. I know it'll still get great battery life. maybe they are waiting for the 6t

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Never owned a OnePlus device but this has shot up near the top of the phones I want this year. Price being a huge factor in the total consideration. I like the fact that they went went a less limited 480fps slow motion recording option. I think that's dope. Don't know why the second sensor is only used for portrait mode but I'm guessing it will be better in all lighting conditions. Would've loved stereo speakers but not a deal breaker. No wireless charging isn't a big deal. Biggest thing is no SD card slot which is fine but I have a ton of unused space in one of two 180gb or greater cards. But that price. You get a heck of a lot for that price. Heck even the P20 Pro and G7 don't offer 4k60fps recording. And it retains the headphone jack.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
There are three huge issues for me:

1) No wireless charging. After using an iPhone X for the better part of a 3 months, I absolutely love wireless charging and have chargers all over my house and office.

2) No stereo speakers. I feel like this should be a given at this point in time.

3) No scheduled Do Not Disturb mode.

These three things may be deal breakers for me. Other than that, this is an absolute beast of a phone. And I do really like what I saw today.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It looks like a decent phone, but I don't really think there's anything worth upgrading from my 5 for.

Suppose it saves me 520 quid though, which is nice.

Sedp23

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Boring design, no stereo Speaker, price keeps getting higher every year.

I have my eyes on the Asus Zenfone 5z

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Just another phone to me. My last two S9+ & iPhone 8+ i kept for less than 4 months.

At $769 CAN I'm happy with what OnePlus did. Design is definitely an improvement.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am getting it. I have every op device since the 3t.

The only thing I am disappointed in is they should have bumped up the battery a little. I know it'll still get great battery life. maybe they are waiting for the 6t

Yup, I agree - bumping up the battery is always a good recipe in my book.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I think it's an attractive phone at an attractive price. And it'll certainly offer fantastic performance and everyday experience. Yet, it's not for me. I already have a V30 and I wouldn't give up this DAC for anything. This was my first LG and I'll be hard pressed to buy another phone that doesn't have this DAC.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I think it's an attractive phone at an attractive price. And it'll certainly offer fantastic performance and everyday experience. Yet, it's not for me. I already have a V30 and I wouldn't give up this DAC for anything. This was my first LG and I'll be hard pressed to buy another phone that doesn't have this DAC.
That DAC is a thing of beauty. I just love it on my V20. I'm wondering if I can get by with a purely Bluetooth experience maybe like Bose or something. As much as I love LG they have made so many questionable decisions that I'm wondering if it's worth sticking it out with them. They show zero drive and zero effort in selling their products including the V30 which to me is their best phone to date even though the V20 is the last of the removable battery and IR blaster duo phones. I just don't know if I can keep supporting that.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
That DAC is a thing of beauty. I just love it on my V20. I'm wondering if I can get by with a purely Bluetooth experience maybe like Bose or something. As much as I love LG they have made so many questionable decisions that I'm wondering if it's worth sticking it out with them. They show zero drive and zero effort in selling their products including the V30 which to me is their best phone to date even though the V20 is the last of the removable battery and IR blaster duo phones. I just don't know if I can keep supporting that.

That's where I'm at on LG. They don't seem to be making good choices. As for the DAC, I like the idea but I stream all my music and I hate wires so I've been wireless for awhile and I use earbuds so I just get a good pair of decent BT earbuds, tweak the EQ to my liking and call it good. I don't have any high quality music files anyway.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I like the specs, and the software. I like the headphone jack, even if I won't use it a lot. Its a little big for my tastes but I think I could get around it. My concern is support. I've always had carrier insurance or now I have google's preferred care on my Pixel 2. If I have an issue how hard is it going to be to get it fixed/replaced? I fought with HTC last year, took two months to get a resolution. Its one of the main reasons I stuck with carrier phones for so long, because if there was ever an issue I could just walk into a store. But, I can't do bloated carrier phone software anymore and I'm done with Samsung and LG which is 90% of what they sell. While I like my Pixel 2, it has some quirks, and some of it is pretty irritating. So is OP worth the risk? IDK..... But they have me considering them, because other than waiting for the Pixel 3, what else is there worth getting this year for that price? Moto will most likely release a Z3 Play around $500 with a 600 series processor and a solid camera for the same price, with no rear FP sensor because they need mod compatibility. HTC U12+, yeah maybe, but they'll want $700-$800. And the Pixel 3 will be more for sure.

I think I'm with Kellen over at Droid Life, for the money, you can't beat the OP6.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm also waiting for the HTC U12+ before I make a decision but that's a good point about reliability and being able to get something fixed if need be. I just fell like OnePlus is striking a very nice balance of feature and price. I love their pro mode interface as I usually shoot in manual. Their portrait mode was already great with the OP5T and this one looks just as promising.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm also waiting for the HTC U12+ before I make a decision but that's a good point about reliability and being able to get something fixed if need be. I just fell like OnePlus is striking a very nice balance of feature and price. I love their pro mode interface as I usually shoot in manual. Their portrait mode was already great with the OP5T and this one looks just as promising.
Yeah I do want to see what the U12+ has to offer. But I completely agree with you, OP is definitely striking a very nice balance of features and price. That's what is making me tempted to get it even though I haven't had my Pixel 2 for very long.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm also waiting for the HTC U12+ before I make a decision but that's a good point about reliability and being able to get something fixed if need be.

Yeah I do want to see what the U12+ has to offer.

Evan Blass (evleaks) gave us a good look along with the full specs. Pretty much everything out there other than price. My guess is U12+ will be priced at $699. Sucks they also don't have wireless charging at least based on leaked specs. Camera will be awesome based on what we saw from U11. And everything else looks great, other than little concern about future support and updates given lack of revenue from HTC.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdZxGsMUQAA1T_L.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DdZ0tEIVMAA6yfR.jpg

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/997112707424845824

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
There are three huge issues for me:

1) No wireless charging. After using an iPhone X for the better part of a 3 months, I absolutely love wireless charging and have chargers all over my house and office.

2) No stereo speakers. I feel like this should be a given at this point in time.

3) No scheduled Do Not Disturb mode.

These three things may be deal breakers for me. Other than that, this is an absolute beast of a phone. And I do really like what I saw today.

There is no scheduled DND mode? That is unfortunate. This phone looks awesome otherwise, however.

Last edited: