Safe to buy Oneplus?

May 6, 2020
Visit site
After Huawei was already banned in the US, and knowing what we know now about Coronavirus and China's cover-up causing a global pandemic; are Chinese phones safe to buy? Or will the government blacklist Chinese products such as smartphones from companies like Oneplus?

I want to get the Oneplus 8 Pro (or Oneplus 8 5G UW on Verizon- which I have), but worried that in a few months I might get locked out of updates and my phone become obsolete like Huawei phones.

Edit: Additionally, would you get the Oneplus 8 Pro (or Oneplus 8 5G UW on Verizon) over the S10+ or S20+? Why or why not?

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I had the Amber Red version a few months back, it was awesome. I miss Oxygen OS.

Too bad the phone was a bit too big for my liking.

With OnePlus, it seems that they get consistently bigger with each release.
Lol..i think they do get bigger, but I'm good with it . I'm use to my Samsung phones with bigger display but oxygen OS is very very clean and smooth.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I've had the LG G3 at some point, my current is the S7 Edge- trying to upgrade to a new phone. Either S10+, S20+, and even considering Oneplus 8 5G UW.
I had an S7 Edge. Was the first Samsung I actually liked. Now using the S10+ and I really love it. The cameras have really improved with the OneUI 2.1 update and it is fast and reliable. The S20 has had a lot of love from users. Some camera issues but overall they find the experience very positive. So I would think about the amount you want to pay and go from there. The S10 line is cheaper and is LTE only. The S20 is 5G capable. But the smaller S20 phone only has Sub6 5G not millimeter wave. So you need to know what type of 5G your carrier uses. The Plus and Ultra versions have both types of 5G built in.

Good luck with your choice.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I too think that it is safe to buy a OnePlus device. As B. Diddy wrote above, OP is pretty much in the clear for what had happened to them in the past. I think OnePlus is a reputable company and a reliable product!

ZEXXES

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I've owned OnePlus phones since the OnePlus 3. I've owned the 3, 3t, 5, 6T, and the 7T. Will be buying the 8Pro shortly.
I've owned LGs, Samsung's, HTCs and, Apples in between. And by far they are the smoothest fastest and functional of all of them. Sure in the past Samsung's have more features, but you pay very high premium's for them and they really don't get used as they aren't really necessary for day to day use. Apples integration is great but their phones suck. The only plus for them was their cameras and now that advantage has been shaved to nil. If you want the best camera it's not even a Samsung or iPhone that holds that claim. Not OnePlus either, but their are better options in that department.

Pros.
Updates are fastest among all Android phones except for Google's own phones.
The UI is superior to every phone, period. Apple integration aside, Apples UI is ancient and lacks a plethora of functionality. Samsung's UI while improved is still a resource hog and is filled with bloatware that you'll never used. And white in the beginning, their UI is quite smooth over time Samsung's have issues with slowing down, having poor Ram and Cache management.

Battery life stays consistent on OnePlus phones. The speed of the thing helps in that regard, using resources for shorter periods of time. 5G while powerful and power hungry also uses resources and power for shorter periods of time. So while it's active it's drawing hard , it does so in such short periods of time that it actually ends up using less power a concept that many forget to include in their calculations.

The display of the OnePlus 8Pro is the very best in any phone available. 10bit color display at 4k and 120hz is insane! The 10 bit screen alone even when matched with Samsung's display while essentially the same isn't displaying at 10bit like OnePlus. The difference is very noticeable side by side.

Wire less charging.
Then there's the Fast charging. Samsung's can't match it whether Wireless or Wired. And Apple? They're a joke. That is the main reason I'm buying the 8pro. I play some very power hungry games on the go, like Ingress which far more power hungry than Pokemon go or Wizards Unite which are three most power hungry games ever. The OnePlus 7T handles 6 hour sessions easily with 50 percent to spare, while a Samsung is near dead at the same time frame.

Price. Well it is way more reasonable than S10 Ultra which is featured paired, not the S10 which is not. If deciding against the Ultra the price wins automatically as that thing starts at $1000 or is it $1100? I forget, either way, you'll get a better phone with as good a camera and better battery life at 200 to 300 less. Nuff said.

Water-resistant ip68

Cons.
No expandable memory (but do you really need it nowadays?)
No headphone jack. This used to be a deal breaker for me, until I started using dedicated Bluetooth headphone DAC/amps. the EarStudio ES100 is incredible and I'll never call a phones amp Good ever again. The Fiios BTR5 is also a beast too. These devices power even big power hungry 600 ohm electrostatic cans that.would be a whisper if plugged into a phone. Bluetooth audio has gotten so good that if you have a good DAC it has actually risen to audiophile levels. But you gotta have the DAC. And without a strong enough amp to drive the headphone? Well good DAC aside it's still going to suck without the amp. I have IEMs with 5 drivers a side and though they aren't super power hungry, with ample power they come alive in ways that you won't believe until you hear them.

Anyways. I highly recommend OnePlus phones

Buying direct is cheaper in the long run. But if you don't have the money up front, yeah for sure just get it through your carrier.

OnePlus all day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've owned OnePlus phones since the OnePlus 3. I've owned the 3, 3t, 5, 6T, and the 7T. Will be buying the 8Pro shortly.
I've owned LGs, Samsung's, HTCs and, Apples in between. And by far they are the smoothest fastest and functional of all of them. Sure in the past Samsung's have more features, but you pay very high premium's for them and they really don't get used as they aren't really necessary for day to day use. Apples integration is great but their phones suck. The only plus for them was their cameras and now that advantage has been shaved to nil. If you want the best camera it's not even a Samsung or iPhone that holds that claim. Not OnePlus either, but their are better options in that department.

Pros.
Updates are fastest among all Android phones except for Google's own phones.
The UI is superior to every phone, period. Apple integration aside, Apples UI is ancient and lacks a plethora of functionality. Samsung's UI while improved is still a resource hog and is filled with bloatware that you'll never used. And white in the beginning, their UI is quite smooth over time Samsung's have issues with slowing down, having poor Ram and Cache management.

Battery life stays consistent on OnePlus phones. The speed of the thing helps in that regard, using resources for shorter periods of time. 5G while powerful and power hungry also uses resources and power for shorter periods of time. So while it's active it's drawing hard , it does so in such short periods of time that it actually ends up using less power a concept that many forget to include in their calculations.

The display of the OnePlus 8Pro is the very best in any phone available. 10bit color display at 4k and 120hz is insane! The 10 bit screen alone even when matched with Samsung's display while essentially the same isn't displaying at 10bit like OnePlus. The difference is very noticeable side by side.

Wire less charging.
Then there's the Fast charging. Samsung's can't match it whether Wireless or Wired. And Apple? They're a joke. That is the main reason I'm buying the 8pro. I play some very power hungry games on the go, like Ingress which far more power hungry than Pokemon go or Wizards Unite which are three most power hungry games ever. The OnePlus 7T handles 6 hour sessions easily with 50 percent to spare, while a Samsung is near dead at the same time frame.

Price. Well it is way more reasonable than S10 Ultra which is featured paired, not the S10 which is not. If deciding against the Ultra the price wins automatically as that thing starts at $1000 or is it $1100? I forget, either way, you'll get a better phone with as good a camera and better battery life at 200 to 300 less. Nuff said.

Water-resistant ip68

Cons.
No expandable memory (but do you really need it nowadays?)
No headphone jack. This used to be a deal breaker for me, until I started using dedicated Bluetooth headphone DAC/amps. the EarStudio ES100 is incredible and I'll never call a phones amp Good ever again. The Fiios BTR5 is also a beast too. These devices power even big power hungry 600 ohm electrostatic cans that.would be a whisper if plugged into a phone. Bluetooth audio has gotten so good that if you have a good DAC it has actually risen to audiophile levels. But you gotta have the DAC. And without a strong enough amp to drive the headphone? Well good DAC aside it's still going to suck without the amp. I have IEMs with 5 drivers a side and though they aren't super power hungry, with ample power they come alive in ways that you won't believe until you hear them.

Anyways. I highly recommend OnePlus phones
Perhaps you are unaware that Samsung's updates are currently just as fast, sometimes faster than Google's

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zatarabr