Safe to buy Oneplus?

mbbarron

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I've had the LG G3 at some point, my current is the S7 Edge- trying to upgrade to a new phone. Either S10+, S20+, and even considering Oneplus 8 5G UW.

I'm also considering the OnePlus 8 on Verizon but still trying to decide between that and the LG V60. I currently have an LG V30, which honestly I haven't been nearly as happy with as I was with my LG G4. For me it's a few considerations that I'm still wrestling with. Would love everyone's thoughts on my pros/cons list but also taking into consideration that everyone has their own priority list of what features are more important to them.

OnePlus 8
Pros
Smoothest OS
Better size
Best screen res

Cons
No Wireless Charge
No SD Card Slot
No SD Card Slot

LG V60
Pros
Dual Screen
SD Card Slot
Headphone jack
Better battery
Better video/camera?
IP 68 Rated
Free 2nd yr warranty

Cons
No Face Unlock
Too large/heavy
Can't use screen protect w/ dual case
Compatible wth Galaxy Watch? (Had trouble with my V30)

David Stephens4

May 28, 2019
Visit site
My first one plus device was the 6t, at the time I was a little nervous about the purchase coming from a Samsung device, not knocking Samsung but soon after I got the 6t I realized just how awesome oxygen OS is... I'm now the proud owner of an onyx black one plus 8... Love it, a big upgraded over the 6t as awesome as the 6t is/was. I recommend one plus.

Canonfan-tastic

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Maybe it's a one off, but my 7T freezes constantly. It's become so bad that I have gone back to my Pixel 2 XL. This is a known problem, I have seen discussion about it all over the web. Why won't OnePlus fix it? The 7 Pro I had was filled with camera issues and this one freezes every time you open an app. So, NO, I absolutely wouldn't be anywhere near comfortable buying their garbage ever again! And won't!

Canonfan-tastic

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I'm also considering the OnePlus 8 on Verizon but still trying to decide between that and the LG V60. I currently have an LG V30, which honestly I haven't been nearly as happy with as I was with my LG G4. For me it's a few considerations that I'm still wrestling with. Would love everyone's thoughts on my pros/cons list but also taking into consideration that everyone has their own priority list of what features are more important to them.

OnePlus 8
Pros
Smoothest OS
Better size
Best screen res

Cons
No Wireless Charge
No SD Card Slot
No SD Card Slot

LG V60
Pros
Dual Screen
SD Card Slot
Headphone jack
Better battery
Better video/camera?
IP 68 Rated
Free 2nd yr warranty

Cons
No Face Unlock
Too large/heavy
Can't use screen protect w/ dual case
Compatible wth Galaxy Watch? (Had trouble with my V30)

Stay with Samsung or LG, I beg you don't waste your money on this junk. Not worth the grief!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe it's a one off, but my 7T freezes constantly. It's become so bad that I have gone back to my Pixel 2 XL. This is a known problem, I have seen discussion about it all over the web. Why won't OnePlus fix it? The 7 Pro I had was filled with camera issues and this one freezes every time you open an app. So, NO, I absolutely wouldn't be anywhere near comfortable buying their garbage ever again! And won't!
Is it a known issue acknowledged and documented by One Plus or just a common problem discussed on the internet?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the Forums!
I own a 1+6 and 1+7pro never experienced that type of issue, and they are great phones , have you tried safe mode see if a app causing this ?

Canonfan-tastic

May 8, 2020
Visit site
No, I have factory reset it and put in in the box it came in. Debating whether to sell it and go back to a new Pixel or rooting it as soon as I can find a suitable ROM. I can't decide. It would be frustrating to go through it and find out it's inferior hardware, which is more than possible.

Titus Freezn

Aug 3, 2019
Visit site
My oneplus 5t is still running strong. Would totally recommend OnePlus to anyone. Great UI and once they stop supporting their devices, the whole custom rom community is there to keep you going.

Hanger20

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Guys, i currently own a pixel 2, i do have this question in my mind if Oneplus is more global and responsible against privacy. I tried asking the same to many of my friends who owned generations Oneplus, but it always ended in they selling me the value proposition of the product than actually debate over Company's policy over such subject.

I am planning to buy 1+8pro (green) cuz In india we get s20ultra lite edition (Exynos)

Zeus Alexander1

May 8, 2020
Visit site
First of all I'd like to say that I am a proud owner of the OnePlus 7 pro McLaren
and previously a proud owner of a OnePlus 7 t pro and unfortunately that one was lost so I replaced it with the OnePlus 7 McLaren and let me tell you something I've had almost every phone out there from Samsung to LG to iPhone there is nothing that is possibly more capable and does not crash and simply does not lag and just all-around great worksmanship from the way it looks the way it feels the way it operates, I mean look at the phone that I have right now anyway 12GB RAM and 256 memory WOW.. I don't know of any other phone in the market that has That kind of price not even close to that kind of price so I mean you're dealing with Superior quality and a company that seems to have one goal and one goal only and that's to simply build the most quality phone for the least possible price and let me tell you if I was Asked what would be the best phone for a 2019 or even 2020 I'll take hands down the OnePlus, price to quality you're not going to find something better not even close to that price there just isn't companies like these vanished they just don't exist anymore once I actually care about the quality of the phone or the quality of the product that they're building is slim to none they just don't exist on one plus I can honestly say incredible company with an incredible future as long as they continue to build incredible phones

The main concern in the recent past for OnePlus had to do with the clipboard, but this was pretty much felt to be a false alarm: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/26/no-oneplus-still-not-sending-clipboard-data-china/

Jerry Hildenbrand was initially concerned about it, but then wrote a big retraction after spending more time talking to OnePlus themselves: https://www.androidcentral.com/there-are-two-sides-every-controversy

hoytbowhunter

Trusted Member
May 8, 2016
Visit site
Heres the thing, you have people who talk crap on Xiaomi and yet they use a OnePlus, but OnePlus, Oppo, Vivo are made by the same person. BBK makes all 4 brands and yet people think one is safer then the other. Xiaomi is no different In my opinion they are all safe, i even think Huawei is safe. Nobody ever mentioned Huawei being a spy until they took the Number 2 spot, then when Xiaomi took the #2 spot im India we started seeing trends talking about Xiaomi being a spy. I prefer Huawei over any other brand because they leave all others behind in terms of build quality and performance and i dont listen to the trolls who tall down on them. The us wants to be bullies when thier product gets beat and they will always be bullies.

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Heres the thing, you have idiots who talk crap on Xiaomi and yet they use a OnePlus, but OnePlus, Oppo, Vivo and Xiaomi all are made by the same person. BBK makes all 4 brands and yet people think one is safer then the other. In my opinion they are all safe, i even think Huawei is safe. Nobody ever mentioned Huawei being a spy until they took the Number 2 spot, then when Xiaomi took the #2 spot im India we started seeing trends talking about Xiaomi being a spy. I prefer Huawei over any other brand because they leave all others behind in terms of build quality and performance and i dont listen to the trolls who tall down on them. The us wants to be bullies when thier product gets beat and they will always be bullies.
Just a quick note. BBK is a big corporation that includes phone brands like OnePlus, Vivo, Oppo and the most recent Realme. Xiaomi is a completely different company, not related to BBK.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My first one plus device was the 6t, at the time I was a little nervous about the purchase coming from a Samsung device, not knocking Samsung but soon after I got the 6t I realized just how awesome oxygen OS is... I'm now the proud owner of an onyx black one plus 8... Love it, a big upgraded over the 6t as awesome as the 6t is/was. I recommend one plus.

The 6T was pretty phenomenal. I definitely remember being tempted to buy the 5, 5T, 6, and 6T. The OnePlus 8 is a slick device! Enjoy it!