About to return OP7 Pro but really don't want to...

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I love the OnePlus Pro. Not just for the money, but in general, it's one of the nicest phones on the market today. For the most part I prefer the OnePlus 7 Pro to my S10+. The only issues I've had with the OP7P are very major for me:

1. No one handed mode. Samsung has a triple click home button that shrinks the entire screen to one bottom corner. The Op7P is much larger but doesn't have this. It's impossible to use with one hand. Unless I'm missing this feature somewhere?
2. The auto screen brightness is all over the show. Sometimes it goes very dim in bright environments just because the light in the room isn't shining directly on it. The S10+, iPhone XS, and even the OP 6T didn't do that in my experience.
3. I can't get work profile apps to show notifications on the Galaxy Watch, only on really old Android Wear watches. For me this is very important. All of my two factor sign ins, I approve from my watch. I check emails and get meeting reminders on my watch. When none of that works because Samsung's Gear app won't show work profile apps in Notifications on the OnePlus despite showing them fine in the S10+, it seems that either Samsung purposely did this or OP is missing some core Android for Work features.

I still prefer watching anything on the OP by far, and I can't believe this, but I think it's haptic feedback is the best on the Android market taking over from Samsung. It went from amongst the worst with the previous gen phones right to the top. Anyone know how I can overcome any of the above issues?

Thanks

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Have you I stall the Gear S plugin?

I think the auto screen brightness takes time for some training. Mine works perfectly after some training.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Have you I stall the Gear S plugin?

I think the auto screen brightness takes time for some training. Mine works perfectly after some training.
Thanks. I do have the Gear S plugin. All non work app notifications work perfectly. Interesting that the screen brightness works itself out over time. That's worth thinking about. Thank you.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
This is what the Notifications for the Galaxy Watch screen looks like on the S10+. Note the apps with tiny blue folders in the bottom left. Those are work profile apps. In the OnePlus, even though I've enabled work profile notifications on the lock screen, those are all missing when paired to the same watch with the same Gear app.20190630_104225.jpeg

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Completely agree about the one handed mode for such a large phone. I searched everywhere for it but i figure since I have two hands might as well use both.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I think if I could get the work app notifications to work and the screen calibration issue sorted itself out, I may settle for that too.
Completely agree about the one handed mode for such a large phone. I searched everywhere for it but i figure since I have two hands might as well use both.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, I got a Ticwatch Pro, and the work app notifications work perfectly on that. I've also enabled the gestures on the OP7, which are much to my delight, a direct copy of the iPhone X/XS/Max gestures, which are actually really nice. So for now, I'm keeping the OP7 Pro. At this stage I prefer it to the S10+. The screen, and the haptic feedback is far nicer. The screen auto brightness does seem to slowly be improving. The touch sensor is also slowly improving.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I am coming from the LG V30. Great phone. Has a one handed mode as well, but I found I never needed it.
What I am missing with my op7pro is wireless charging, SD expandability and a thorough IP-rating (MIL-STD 310g durability couldn't hurt either).

Still, for me the op7pro is the best I can get for my buck atm.
If the Pixel 4 or the LG V50 would have been available earlier, I might have gone a different direction.
Same goes for the Huawei Mate 30, now that the Google ban seems to have lifted...
Samsung is (much like the iPhone) off the menue for good for my part. Too many bad experiences.

Still, it's great that there is so much choice atm. Good for the market. Good for the customer. And the manufacturers must keep at it, as to not miss the train ...
:)

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Well, I got a Ticwatch Pro, and the work app notifications work perfectly on that. I've also enabled the gestures on the OP7, which are much to my delight, a direct copy of the iPhone X/XS/Max gestures, which are actually really nice. So for now, I'm keeping the OP7 Pro. At this stage I prefer it to the S10+. The screen, and the haptic feedback is far nicer. The screen auto brightness does seem to slowly be improving. The touch sensor is also slowly improving.
The latest update 9.5.9 improved the janky auto brightness for me.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Just a quick shout out to thank all of you for your feedback. I have now sold my S10+, returned the T-Mobile version of the OP7 Pro and gotten the OP7 Pro directly from OnePlus. I'm using it with two T-Mobile SIM cards, one for personal and one for business and so far so good.

braygor

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Smart move. There's no benefit to buying from T-mobile, other than interest free financing. To me, the faster updates are more important.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
That is a good point. I'm trying the warranty from Upsie for this one. We'll see how that goes. Enjoying having my work and personal numbers on a single phone so much though.

there is an advantage to getting from T-Mobile and that's warranty support. one plus is terrible to deal with directly.
Screenshot_20190725-073218.jpeg

WinTheDay

Aug 19, 2019
Visit site
While a 1-handed mode would be a nice option to have... from my own experience I never used it when I owned the iPhone Plus/Max phones. It was a hassle but everything just became mostly two handed for me... or I awkwardly made 1 hand work :D

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I used it a lot with Samsung phones because it's much better than the iPhone's version. It essentially shrinks the entire screen to a smaller size and you can move it left or right bottom to make it easier to reach. Anyway, in this case, I got a pop socket and that's solved the problem for me. While I have ordered a Note 10+ because I want to try it's integration with Mac, and I'm getting a $600 credit for a Pixel 3 that I got from Amazon for $340, I suspect I'll return to the OP7 Pro unless that connectivity is superb. I do use the S-Pen, but it's a question of whether it's enough to justify.

Overall, the haptic feedback, the screen, and the fingerprint reader are still way better on the OP 7 Pro and it's also quicker based on early speed tests (at least in 12GB RAM format).
While a 1-handed mode would be a nice option to have... from my own experience I never used it when I owned the iPhone Plus/Max phones. It was a hassle but everything just became mostly two handed for me... or I awkwardly made 1 hand work :D

WinTheDay

Aug 19, 2019
Visit site
I used it a lot with Samsung phones because it's much better than the iPhone's version. It essentially shrinks the entire screen to a smaller size and you can move it left or right bottom to make it easier to reach. Anyway, in this case, I got a pop socket and that's solved the problem for me.

Ahhhh, I'll admit I have never been familiar with Samsung's version.

And that was a great idea with the PopSocket.. glad it worked for you.