One plus 8 pro.......No 5G signal and i know 100% i should get it.

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I ain't had my OnePlus 8 pro long, but i have still got my s20 plus 5G but the problem im getting is the phone is set to get any network on Auto so 5g/4g/3g and its full on 4g in this place.
Im on Virgin mobile which is on Vodafone and its a 5g sim only deal and contacted virgin to confirm this.
Swop the sim into my s20 in the same place and 5g and close to full and in my oneplus 8 pro just full 4g no number 5g comes up.
I have checked the setting but cant find anything wrong and i know the phone 5g as it says on the box and setting and also off the number off the oneplus site.
Any help would be great.
Thanks.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I ain't had my OnePlus 8 pro long, but i have still got my s20 plus 5G but the problem im getting is the phone is set to get any network on Auto so 5g/4g/3g and its full on 4g in this place.
Im on Virgin mobile which is on Vodafone and its a 5g sim only deal and contacted virgin to confirm this.
Swop the sim into my s20 in the same place and 5g and close to full and in my oneplus 8 pro just full 4g no number 5g comes up.
I have checked the setting but cant find anything wrong and i know the phone 5g as it says on the box and setting and also off the number off the oneplus site.
Any help would be great.
Thanks.

First I would use a speedtest app to confirm whether the "5g" your getting on the S20 is in fact 5g. I'm on TMobile and often my phone says 5g but the network testing apps still identify it as 4glte. I believe that some devices are labeling certain frequency bands as 5g when they really aren't. Every manufacturer reports "bars" differently. If your getting the same speeds on both devices or not will be the true determing factor of whether or not you actually have an issue. I would pay little attention to what the phone says in the notification shade

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Search the OP community.

Missing 5G common with OP8.
Basically it's not whitelisted with all networks. Due to , well you know , OnePlus being OnePlus.

Many work arounds on the community.
I tried a OP8P on release and had to edit files to get 5G on O2UK.

#alwayssettle

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Search the OP community.

Missing 5G common with OP8.
Basically it's not whitelisted with all networks. Due to , well you know , OnePlus being OnePlus.

Many work arounds on the community.
I tried a OP8P on release and had to edit files to get 5G on O2UK.

#alwayssettle

When you say edit files to get 5g what did you do.
As for the speed i will check it out when im there next as i have 2 Vodafone sims,one contract and one PAYG in each phone.
Im sure my S20 plus go around 200 or more on 5G but will check it.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I easily receive 5G on my OnePlus 8t using T-Mobile. Online speed tests show that the 5G is faster than LTE up & down. However, I find that when on 5G web pages sometimes hesitate, or load slower. Youtube videos suffer from buffering at times also. And of course the battery seems to drain a little faster. All of these symptoms are when using 5G. I do NOT experience any of these issues when on LTE and everything I need to do runs the same AND better...so I stay on LTE. So even though I have easy access to consistent 5G it still appears to have issues in some manner that needs to be worked out. YMMV

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for the delay.
Im on Virgin Mobile (Vodafone 5g network) and the my oneplus 8 pro just wont pick up 5G and my S20 plus 5G does in the same place and its the same sim,added picture to show you the 5g on my S20 plus5G on s20 plus.jpg

jace1969

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Just another thing to add to this,i have also no option for Wi-Fi calling and when the sim is in my s20 plus it's all there and works.
This oneplus is the 8 Pro 128 with 12gb Ram in black,i have looked all over for it and just no option.
So thats the 5g problem and a few things missing from the menu,i know 100% its all fine on the s20 plus 5g.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Just another thing to add to this,i have also no option for Wi-Fi calling and when the sim is in my s20 plus it's all there and works.
This oneplus is the 8 Pro 128 with 12gb Ram in black,i have looked all over for it and just no option.
So thats the 5g problem and a few things missing from the menu,i know 100% its all fine on the s20 plus 5g.
Yip. Always Settle.

The OnePlus won't be certified for advanced features on virgin. WiFi calling, visual voicemail, volte etc.
Snap for 5G.

It's problematic, especially with cheap NVMO 's. Want everything to work - bend over and accept EE's prices. Or stick with the big guns like Samsung.

There is a long thread on both XDA and OP forums regarding getting 5G to work by changing the prop files. A small pain but it can be achieved.