OnePlus limiting apps

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh, no! That is sad news! Thank you for sharing that with us! Apple did the same thing, sort of, when it was discovered that it was slowing down older iterations with current updates, to prompt people to upgrade to a newer iteration. Manipulating of software is very sneaky. I'm saddened that OnePlus is a part of this.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh, no! That is sad news! Thank you for sharing that with us! Apple did the same thing, sort of, when it was discovered that it was slowing down older iterations with current updates, to prompt people to upgrade to a newer iteration. Manipulating of software is very sneaky. I'm saddened that OnePlus is a part of this.

I'm one of the people who may be slightly, at best, annoyed but I understand why they did it. It's for battery life Improvement and that was the only motive. Apple on the other hand was slowing down older phones to get you to dip into your pocket and give them more of your money. That I don't agree with.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of the people who may be slightly, at best, annoyed but I understand why they did it. It's for battery life Improvement and that was the only motive. Apple on the other hand was slowing down older phones to get you to dip into your pocket and give them more of your money. That I don't agree with.

You're right, that is a profound difference. It's still upsetting, but I think the motive to give you better battery life is more "moral" than wanting you to hand over more cash for another, newer product. Totally agree with you on that one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I thought Apple was throttling its older phones to prevent sudden shutdowns due to stress on the older battery? I suppose it could be seen as trying to mask the issue and make it look like the iPhone didn't have problems with an aging battery.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
It was a well known fact that each update " broke" features on older phones and slowed them down. Then it came out... I had that issue with an iPhone 4 and 4s

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Maybe if "we" (the OEM's and those who feel that they must have the latest greatest) would just STOP with this insane and futile race to the fastest SOC's then maybe our batteries would last longer and our phones would still run great! I mean what's the point of having these ridiculous CPU speeds only to then complain that our batteries run out by noon? So then the OEM's are compelled to figure out ways to make the batteries last as long as possible! Besides, does "throttling" a browser, or some other random app from spinning up the CPU to max make it run bad? Most people who have the 9 series say they run great! Much ado about nothing!

LeiChat

Dec 11, 2018
Visit site
Sounds like social media had it backwards... they are underclocking the CPU when the running apps don't demand its full potential. That's not the same as throttling apps.

All of this optimization is only finalized after our testing team makes sure the actual user experience is not negatively affected.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01