OnePlusOne Aggressive Pricing

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
So, let's talk about the price of the OnePlus One. It's $299 for the 16 GB model and $349 for the 64 GB one. This is an off-contract, unsubsidized price for a flagship-caliber phone.

My first thought is an instant comparison to the Nexus 5 ($349 for 16 GB and $399 for 32 GB). However, the Nexus 5 has financial support from Google to get to this price. The OnePlus One appears to be hitting its price point all on its own.

The OnePlus One is also in striking distance for the low-end. A 16 GB Moto G costs around $199. If you have an extra $100 and you don't mind the bigger size, you can get a OnePlus One instead. $100 is not an insignificant amount, but it'll probably give people something to think about before purchasing a phone.

It remains to be seen whether the OnePlus One is a good phone or not. Maybe the price is too good to be true. However, if it delivers on its promises, are we looking at a phone with the best value in the mobile market today? Will other companies need to step up their game to compete?

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Aggressive Pricing

I can't remember where they said it (I think the Reddit AMA), but OnePlus knows they aren't making much money, and don't plan to turn a profit until after two years of running the business. They are planning for this, and their investors are planning for this.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like very good pricing, but we'll have to see if the phone is actually good enough. Don't think this will be a better value than the Nexus 5 or Moto G, but it can still be a great deal.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Infinite7154

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like very good pricing, but we'll have to see if the phone is actually good enough. Don't think this will be a better value than the Nexus 5 or Moto G, but it can still be a great deal.

If the phone is even semi decent in build quality how can you say it won't be a better value than a Moto G or Nexus 5? It'll have LTE the Moto G doesn't. It'll have double the internal storage for the same price as the Nexus. This is the type of device a Nexus should be and this company did it on their first phone.I'm going to have my $350 ready on launch day. Worse case scenario I return it or sell it on Swappa

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

If the phone is even semi decent in build quality how can you say it won't be a better value than a Moto G or Nexus 5? It'll have LTE the Moto G doesn't. It'll have double the internal storage for the same price as the Nexus. This is the type of device a Nexus should be and this company did it on their first phone.I'm going to have my $350 ready on launch day. Worse case scenario I return it or sell it on Swappa

It would actually have quadruple the internal storage compared to the Nexus 5 16gb!

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

It would actually have quadruple the internal storage compared to the Nexus 5 16gb!

Can't compare the base model of a phone to the max storage model of another.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Good build quality ≠ good phone. The Nexus 5 was a great phone all around, except for maybe the battery life. I don't expect this phone to be as good, and since it's the same price, it can't be a better value.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

Good build quality ≠ good phone. The Nexus 5 was a great phone all around, except for maybe the battery life. I don't expect this phone to be as good, and since it's the same price, it can't be a better value.

why would you say this phone wouldn't be any good, i personally think folks are scared crapless because it will show us that we have been getting ripped off i just paid 649.00 for my M8 and yet this phone kills both samsung and htc in specs and has a very light skinned OS comparable to the moto x. i just don't get why folks are all of sudden like this isn't great when everyone before was like it is. personally i think this is a move in the right direction i plan on getting one if i get an invite to try it out you can't beat specs that are on par or better than the current leaders of android with more storage and less price and unlocked and can run all LTE bands for ATT please tell me again why you say this isn't a good phone.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

why would you say this phone wouldn't be any good, i personally think folks are scared crapless because it will show us that we have been getting ripped off i just paid 649.00 for my M8 and yet this phone kills both samsung and htc in specs and has a very light skinned OS comparable to the moto x. i just don't get why folks are all of sudden like this isn't great when everyone before was like it is. personally i think this is a move in the right direction i plan on getting one if i get an invite to try it out you can't beat specs that are on par or better than the current leaders of android with more storage and less price and unlocked and can run all LTE bands for ATT please tell me again why you say this isn't a good phone.

I'm not saying it'll be a bad phone, but I'm not saying it's good just because of the specs either. We'll know soon enough though :p

Sent via Tapatalk

aalu91

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Well you obviously don't know what you are talking about...

1. It CAN be a better value because it is NOT the same price as the nexus 5...it is $50 cheaper.
2. How do you KNOW that it can't be a great all around phone? And pretty sure almost any flagship phone's battery can beat the Nexus 5 battery...
3. In regards to a previous post, you CAN compare the base model of the nexus 5 to the highest model of the OnePlus One because they would both cost $350.
4. All specs would indicate that this phone is better than the Nexus 5, at a lower price point. Do you by chance own a Nexus 5 and are trumping it up?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Well you obviously don't know what you are talking about...

1. It CAN be a better value because it is NOT the same price as the nexus 5...it is $50 cheaper.
2. How do you KNOW that it can't be a great all around phone? And pretty sure almost any flagship phone's battery can beat the Nexus 5 battery...
3. In regards to a previous post, you CAN compare the base model of the nexus 5 to the highest model of the OnePlus One because they would both cost $350.
4. All specs would indicate that this phone is better than the Nexus 5, at a lower price point. Do you by chance own a Nexus 5 and are trumping it up?

1. I meant that if it isn't as good phone, then there's really no reason to pick it over the Nexus 5.
2. I didn't say it wouldn't be great, but until we see it in use we won't know if it's better than the N5. Like I said, the only "issue" with the Nexus 5 is battery life.
4. Specs are just a number. I think the Moto X is the best phone you can get at the moment and those specs are "mid-range."
I own a GS4, but no Nexus 5

Sent via Tapatalk

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

From intial hands on videos (allegedly with pre production software), the phone looks like it runs very smoothly and has recieved big marks from those that have them.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

From intial hands on videos (allegedly with pre production software), the phone looks like it runs very smoothly and has recieved big marks from those that have them.

Do you have those reviews since the one I read was being kind with all the bugs he saw since the claim that it would be corrected by launch. Trust me I hope this phone at $299 knocks it out of the park and I will buy one or two. However OnePlus is a Chinese smartphone startup that has never made a phone before that could be out of business if there are big issues or if it doesn't sell well. HTC is losing a lot of money every year selling expensive phones and OnePlus has a very small profit at $299. I wish it had a option for stock Android instead of the CyanogenMod OS fork that I never seen, since with those hardware specs it doesn't need a thin lean os.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Here's the video(s) that I am referring to. There are some bugs (for instance the voice command), but I bet those will be ironed out in the next few weeks

The new OnePlus One smartphone is a top contender for the Android throne | Android | Geek.com

While OnePlus has never made a phone themselves, the company has a history with OPPO, well established name. And the phone is being manufactured by OPPO. Cyanogen is very close to vanilla Android, but with a few extra tweaks baked in, in the same manner the Moto X has close to vanilla software.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the video(s) that I am referring to. There are some bugs (for instance the voice command), but I bet those will be ironed out in the next few weeks

http://www.geek.com/android/the-new-oneplus-one-smartphone-is-a-top-contender-for-the-android-throne-1592057/

While OnePlus has never made a phone themselves, the company has a history with OPPO, well established name. And the phone is being manufactured by OPPO. Cyanogen is very close to vanilla Android, but with a few extra tweaks baked in, in the same manner the Moto X has close to vanilla software.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

However, if it delivers on its promises, are we looking at a phone with the best value in the mobile market today?
Bar none.

Can't compare the base model of a phone to the max storage model of another.
Sure you can, if the base model of one phone sells at exactly the same price as the max storage model of the other.

However OnePlus is a Chinese smartphone startup that has never made a phone before that could be out of business if there are big issues or if it doesn't sell well.
True, but while OnePlus as a company has never made a phone before, its core people have. They come from Oppo, a pretty well known phone maker in China. But in any case, the proof will be in the pudding. If this phone performs as well as it seems, watch out, Samsung!

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Phone is going to be a game changer. It is going to shake up the markets the same way the Nexus 4 did. I think they've already delivered on the hype.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I really do hope the company (OnePlus) does well. It would be good to have more to choose from in unlocked / no contract / no carrier phones like the Nexus and Moto lines. I for one am going to buy one to support the company, and as one poster on here mentioned, worst case if it turns out not to be a really good phone, which I doubt it will be that bad, sell it on eBay or swappa.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

If only it wasn't so large.

Seriously...I'm all for choice, but when companies launch phones in these sizes it makes me wonder what their intentions are.

This is a phablet. No other way to describe it. No matter how narrow it is, or how minimal the bezels become, at the end of the day that screen is still huge.

Personally, I would have been more excited to see OnePlus launch this device at 5inches or less. Let Samsung have the phablet market and keep giving us 'normal' sized devices.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

I really do hope the company (OnePlus) does well. It would be good to have more to choose from in unlocked / no contract / no carrier phones like the Nexus and Moto lines.

I would agree that we should have more choices for unlocked, off-contract phones with no carrier bloatware.

One of my fears with OnePlus is that if the company goes out of business, it sends a signal that people don't want these phones and they would rather have whatever their carrier is selling.

I want the OnePlus One to shake up the industry so that consumers get better phones at cheaper prices without being locked to a carrier.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

Nexus 5 camera leaves a lot to be desired. On paper the OnePlus is better in the camera department.